• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is my MSI RX480 Dying ? :(

Soldato
It would only happen when i booted up. Now that green line just randomly comes on :S

Why couldn't it have been my GPU!! monitor is not under warranty :(

Sometimes monitors can be fixed by opening and removing and re-inserting all the ribbon cables and connectors. Bad lcd connections can cause lines and coloured bars,etc.

If it's old then capacitors can dry up and affect voltages.

Associate
Perhaps you could bring up the monitor's OSD (setup menu), if the corruption appears over the OSD then it's surely the monitor, if it's only on the displayed picture then it's cable or gpu related - that would be my thinking anyway.

(Obviously since your image corruption is happening on one side the OSD would need to be movable or hopefully appear at that part of the screen to use this test to help narrow things down.)

Soldato
Im looking, but only have a budget of £300 and i would need a 27" minimum, couldn't go back to a 24" now. And needs to be VESA :S

Depends how much refresh rate you need, there are many good Freesync monitors at £300.
Even a 29" ultrawide one!!! (2560x1080)

If you play completive level FPS games, you need TN panel 144hz (so get ready for £400 price tag). If not, the 75hz will be fine as long as the lows are at around 40fps if not lower.

To put in perspective, 2560x1440 gsync ones need +£200!

What was your current monitor?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Depends how much refresh rate you need, there are many good Freesync monitors at £300.
Even a 29" ultrawide one!!! (2560x1080)

If you play completive level FPS games, you need TN panel 144hz (so get ready for £400 price tag). If not, the 75hz will be fine as long as the lows are at around 40fps if not lower.

To put in perspective, 2560x1440 gsync ones need +£200!

What was your current monitor?

It's a IIyama Prolite B2776HDS 27" Widescreen LED Business Monitor

Associate
OP
Perhaps you could bring up the monitor's OSD (setup menu), if the corruption appears over the OSD then it's surely the monitor, if it's only on the displayed picture then it's cable or gpu related - that would be my thinking anyway.

(Obviously since your image corruption is happening on one side the OSD would need to be movable or hopefully appear at that part of the screen to use this test to help narrow things down.)

I will try that next time it happens

Soldato
I've had a lot of such things with my 480s, I've also had cable issues. I get a lot of link failure errors. I think MSI made a bad batch of which I got 2 of, lucky me. I see you have an MSI, is it a gaming X by any chance?

Associate
I have to say, i have had a few gremlins with my MSI 480. Maybe that's why they were so happy to offer the cashback in order to shift a few. Nothing too bad really but i have experienced issues with the fan control (i know, possibly software related but never had the issues with previous 7950), and the other day i turned on the computer to find the resolution similar to when there is no driver, e.g. 800x600 and second monitor off, but after a restart it was fine. Weird yes, maybe the msi isn't to blame though.

Associate
OP
Did you, by any chance, buy it from overclockers around august?

Yes from Overclockers, but on the 28 Nov 2016

My new monitor came today, and so far so good. I am stunned! at the difference, it has made. It is a Acer Predator XZ321Q 31.5" LED Curved Monitor. Games not only look better but seem to run better ? minimizing games before had a little delay, now I don't have any.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom