• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Spec me a new card

Associate
OP
I have spoken to EVGA they assure me all the cards shipping after November have been updated with new thermals and are fine and i have nothing to worry about.

Don
You say it was blown out of proportion, but then why have they totally revised the cooling on their cards? The acx3 cooler has been ditched sharpish and replaced with icx. I think it is clear that the cards were deeply flawed.

I certainly lost all confidence in mine.

Yet we are still not seeing a flurry of failures. You changed yours which is fair enough if you had concerns , but deeply flawed...

Soldato
why not wait for the WTF 2.0 models. clearly a design flaw and poor design of the first one regardless of mods that they have done the second version to correct mistakes. Wait and see for this model is your after EVGA, couldnt say on the price though, you'd hope it would be exactly the same cost as the first version

Soldato
You say it was blown out of proportion, but then why have they totally revised the cooling on their cards? The acx3 cooler has been ditched sharpish and replaced with icx. I think it is clear that the cards were deeply flawed.

I certainly lost all confidence in mine.

Each to own. They reacted to the media spin that was built not the actual issue I feel. Their yields were no worse than the other companies. The problem was that EVGA was sold as THE premium option for everything.

I have always found that their actual designs are often slightly below others however they have a warranty that is unrivaled so why was there such worry when they would be covering the costs and under UK law if their product was faulty and damaged anything else in the computer you are entitled to claim back those costs as well for repair or replacement of parts affected.

I feel the reason for the re-brand and new coolers was to try and move away from the past rather than there be a larger issue. It was proved otherwise that were no major design flaws etc in that whole other thread. Which was linked to this showing it wasn't an issue http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2691-final-evga-vrm-thermal-torture-test-and-analysis?showall=1

It isn't happening soon either. It is going to be a few months from all accounts which puts it a good 6 months on from when people got grumbly about it.

Soldato
Thats news to me oh well ot's done now hopefully all is well

They are actually calling them proof of concept at the moment with no confirmation they will even release to this date. I am speculating that it will be a few months till we see the new cooler design.

I would say in honesty it's a non-issue. They still have low return rates compared to all the competition. They still have the best warranty and they are still supporting the ACX models so try not to read into too much.

The link I added in my post above also proved that you should never have an issue (certainly not directly relating to the "supposed" issue).

Soldato
I have to say i really do like evga as a company. They tend to be very customer focussed and have good warranties. Unfortunately i do think they dropped the ball with the 10 series cards.

It won't stop me buying evga in the future though. I recently bought one of their G2 power supplies I'm very pleased with.

Soldato
I have to say i really do like evga as a company. They tend to be very customer focussed and have good warranties. Unfortunately i do think they dropped the ball with the 10 series cards.

It won't stop me buying evga in the future though. I recently bought one of their G2 power supplies I'm very pleased with.

That is fair enough. I just got the feeling of heavy negativity and yep they did to a point drop the ball a little. I feel if they only offered a 2 year warranty my view would be very different in fairness.

I will say generally that the new coolers should be seen as a good thing though in some ways. I know there is so much negativity about it but I feel the positive should be that EVGA are willing to go back to a current card and look at it again and see what they can do to improve it.

The new card/cooler setup actually makes them look much more premium than their previous offerings. It should point out also they it isn't just the ACX they are changing up because they are also changing it up completely with a new hybrid cooler also.

Why should we wait for a whole new family of cards before the cooler gets redesigned. Why can't we look at these as new models being released mid life cycle like when different partners have 5 different cooler designs.

I mean look at MSI who on the same card model have 4 different cooler options.

The FTW & FTW2 should just be classed as different cooler options. Again this could be weeks or even months away and might not actually get released (although unlikely) and thus may be here ready for Volta.

Soldato
I just feel they should have stood behind the original product if indeed they had sorted the issues. Swapping the cooler just looks like they are washing their hands with the old product. If i still had one, i would feel pretty annoyed. They should have brought the new cooler in with the next gen of cards.

Soldato
I just feel they should have stood behind the original product if indeed they had sorted the issues. Swapping the cooler just looks like they are washing their hands with the old product. If i still had one, i would feel pretty annoyed. They should have brought the new cooler in with the next gen of cards.

Hmm I kind of understand your view. I am just not sure it is really needed. The ACX cooler was selling fine for months before the issues started to surface in a few cases.

With that I would not expect them to have redesigned the cooler within 2 months if they were not already working on the cooler likely for Volta release. Which incidentally at earliest will be November but tbh I believe it will be a May 2018 release.

Think of it this way that they need to get through: Design + test + certification + sample manufacturing + CE/UL approval + sample compliance testing + more that is being forgotten. Honestly they are concepts and yeah maybe using FTW2 was not best marketing in this time but at moment a lot of speculation without facts.

And thus if these new coolers dropped in May on the revised 10 series with a full 12 month cycle no biggy. It may also lead to being able to clock the cards higher or at least with more stability which is good. I mean they already clock well so a boost is a boost.

We also haven't had confirmed if they are going to discontinue the ACX range at moment from what I have read.

Further to that they also have technically done updates mid span when they went from ACX 2.0 to 2.0+

And technically they are still standing behind their product by honouring the 5 year warranty without any issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was just thinking would my CPU bottleneck my 1080?

Depends, what resolution are you playing at? If 4k then no not likely as the GPU would be working hard. You should see 100% utilisation or certainly high 90% for most games.

If you are seeing that all your games are only utilising 40% of the GPU then you would indeed have a bottleneck somewhere. This is likely at lower res such as 1080 as your GPU is now overkill for that resolution really however you should also being really high fps anyways before the bottleneck causes any issues.

The real issue would be if you are only seeing 40% utilisation at 1440p/4K because that would be the CPU/Mobo/RAM all not working to really give you optimum performance out of your GPU.

I am not great with AMD chips though so can't state how likely it really is for you.

What I will say is on a benchmark review using a 980Ti with different CPU's the FX-9590 at 4.7Ghz looses frames at 1080 resolution to an intel i3-6100 at 3.7Ghz in Fallout 4 by 10fps average.

If you then add the i7-6700k you would loose 34fps whilst using the FX-9590 in comparision. So I would suggest your next upgrade would be good to be either an i5 or a new Ryzen chip depending on reviews.

Again the above figures are with the following, Fallout 4 @ 1080 resolution at ultra settings.

i7 6700k @ 4Ghz = 113fps average
i3 6100 @ 3.7Ghz = 88fps average
AMD FX-9590 @ 4.7Ghz = 79fps average

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, but Fallout 4 is like the worst example to give except maybe Arma 3 for that. If you test games that are properly multi-threaded the difference is much less worse (e.g. BF One).

Back
Top Bottom