• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is my card dying? (290X Lightning Edition)

Associate
OP
Final update :)

Got the card. Looks to be in great condition (very clean, free of dust), except for what looks like a stain on the backplate but I can live with that.

Put it under load in BF1 and Heaven Benchmark.... no artifacting!!! Card is hell of a lot quieter and the temps are down. Max I saw it go was 72c.

Safe to say I'm happy with the new replacement :)

Associate
OP
Urgh! So the card has been fine up until tonight. It's behaving the same way as the card I RMA'd, except the temperatures are under control :S

I'm done with MSI cards, and I think this will be last my AMD card.

Associate
The exact same way? As in the same kind of artifacts followed by a black screen?

That's odd.

Have you tried reinstalling drivers on a clean install of drivers (DDU), and out of curiosity do you have another PC u can try the card in? A friends or what ever.

Would really suck if it's broken as well, but it does makes me suspicious that something else could be causing it.

Associate
OP
The exact same way? As in the same kind of artifacts followed by a black screen?

That's odd.

Have you tried reinstalling drivers on a clean install of drivers (DDU), and out of curiosity do you have another PC u can try the card in? A friends or what ever.

Would really suck if it's broken as well, but it does makes me suspicious that something else could be causing it.

Yes, exact same. Different driver didn't fix it. This is also a clean install of Windows 10 too

I may have done something stupid too, as the system won't post with the card in, after I ran OCCTs PSU test. Black screened, fans on the GPU ramped up to 100% now it won't post. With my old 5450 that I have lying around, it posts fine.

Beginning to suspect my PSU might have something to do with it.

Soldato
Yes, exact same. Different driver didn't fix it. This is also a clean install of Windows 10 too

I may have done something stupid too, as the system won't post with the card in, after I ran OCCTs PSU test. Black screened, fans on the GPU ramped up to 100% now it won't post. With my old 5450 that I have lying around, it posts fine.

Beginning to suspect my PSU might have something to do with it.

Sometimes psu's can output bad voltage levels as the age and a card like a 290X that needs more power will likely suffer.

Back
Top Bottom