• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4k Gaming, GPU and monitors

Associate
Hello,

I've owned a 980 TI, 1080 and currently hav a 1070. I have 2 monitors acer 4k Gsync (TN) and Rog swift 1440/144hz (TN).

I've really enjoyed 4k 60hz Gsync and it's undeniably better visually than 1440p but I've decided to sell it.The 144hz 4k Gsync HDR recently announced is a marvel of technology, however I find that 4k gaming @ 60fps is a struggle even when I owned the 1080, yes fine tuning such as no AA, screen space reflections and other tweaks help but I've retired 4k gaming for the time being.

I feel it will be 3-4 years until we can drive 4k single card upto 144 fps for the aforementioned monitor, maybe longer as software often demands more grunt.

What's your thoughts ? Imy not saying I'm right I'm just going off my 18+ month experience of 4k/1440p gaming.

I've been waiting ages for the 1080ti but retired that idea. I can honestly say at this point my gpu/monitor buying days are over until 4k/144hz gaming is between mainstream and enthusiast and therefore more affordable - which is a shame because I like buying new technology stuff, but we're at a stalemate it seems.

Last edited:
Soldato
Something like 4k 144hz gsync and hdr would be my next upgrade from 144hz 1440p gsync. hdr is impressive, however I would still not want 4k 60hz and hdr even if I had a card that could drive it.

Soldato
I chose to go for 1440p 144 Hz with FreeSync because 2160p gaming is unviable right now, IMO. Sure you can get 3-4 GPUs or a couple of Titans and get pretty good results but for the money it just isn't worth it to me. By the time it becomes viable to do 2160p @ 60+ Hz (ideally 100+ Hz) with a single card, HDR will be mature and probably a standard feature on monitors so that seems like the next stepping stone. For now, 1440p is a better choice unless you have cash to splash. :)

Associate
im the same as you with 2 monitors just different models, I have the acer predator 144 hz and a phillips 4k, but I have 2 980ti's, and these too struggle with some games at 4k, I do believe we are some way off a single card solution right now for decent 60hz let alone 144hz @ 4k

Associate
I agree, with everything said. I have had to turn a lot of settings down to get things running right. so it's all about comprimise. and yes that sits in your head bugging me.
I probably will jump from titan mx sli to 1080ti sli with the hope I might get decent performance. as titan xp is not a road I am prepared to go down.

Associate
I have an ASUS Strix OC 1070 (left at factory OC) and play Battlefield 1 at maximum visual settings in 4K, AA off, and seem to average 45-60 FPS (v-sync enabled on 4K 60Hz monitor).

Not sure why this is non-viable? Just tone down a couple of settings to high if you really need the 60/60Hz.

I've never noticed any significant drops in FPS that has bothered me, but I'm far, far from a serious gamer. Perhaps just my naive eye. It's only a cheap card, though. I've been seriously impressed by the performance.

Last edited:
Associate
just bought a titan XP for running games at 4k and 3440, got the PG348q monitor and a 4k tv, trying out both.
It's going to be quite some time before gpus can handle 4k 144hz hdr... indeed. titan xp can barely deal with 4k stuff at ~60+ fps, with some, excluding aa which is not needed.

Soldato
I have an ASUS Strix OC 1070 (left at factory OC) and play Battlefield 1 at maximum visual settings in 4K, AA off, and seem to average 45-60 FPS (v-sync enabled on 4K 60Hz monitor).

Not sure why this is non-viable? Just tone down a couple of settings to high if you really need the 60/60Hz.

I've never noticed any significant drops in FPS that has bothered me, but I'm far, far from a serious gamer. Perhaps just my naive eye. It's only a cheap card, though. I've been seriously impressed by the performance.

It's none viable when you're used to high hz and frame rate plus gsync. It didn't bother me either at one point, now I couldn't go back.

Associate
I'm the same, waiting for gpu that can actually drive 4k at 100hz. Don't think even 1080 Ti will do that. Plus the fact i'd want 32"+ monitor and those screens just aren't on the go yet. Maybe a year or two till we get that i reckon.

I'm just trying to decide whether to keep my XB271hu or switch to a PG348Q. Doesn't seem to be any competition for the ultrawides on the horizon, Omen sounded good but think the asus/acer are better on paper.

Back
Top Bottom