Playing Half Life 2 for the first time

Caporegime
It has aged well, the art direction, soundtrack and gameplay, some of the best I have ever come across. I really wonder though how it would fare if it was released now.

Probably wouldn't do as well since it doesn't hold your hand for you like most FPS games these days.

In terms of gameplay, imo, it destroys the vast majority of titles still.

Caporegime
EDIT; all sorted now, it was a steampipe issue or something, I did a quick google and found a fix, now to see if it looks any better with this mod :)

Ahh yeah, i remember when it updated to steampipe, it wouldn't work anymore, so had to redownload the old GCF files to get it back working again. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Ahh yeah, i remember when it updated to steampipe, it wouldn't work anymore, so had to redownload the old GCF files to get it back working again. :)

i just googled the error and got a fix for it, i had to copy some code and paste it in the game file, all working now though :) the version I'm using is not as good as later versions, theres just slight changes in the graphics etc like lighting, fog, some texture improvements but its still better than vanilla, the later versions of the cinematic mod look amazing though and when i get episode 1 and 2 i will upgrade to the newest version of the mod :D

Caporegime
i just googled the error and got a fix for it, i had to copy some code and paste it in the game file, all working now though :) the version I'm using is not as good as later versions, theres just slight changes in the graphics etc like lighting, fog, some texture improvements but its still better than vanilla, the later versions of the cinematic mod look amazing though and when i get episode 1 and 2 i will upgrade to the newest version of the mod :D

Yeah later ones look great, i use v11 as said, its got some great HD character models to choose from and load in :)

Soldato
OP
Just completed Black Mesa which was my first experience of Half Life after playing Half Life 2 first. What at and awesome experience - pure gaming heaven and I think I actually enjoyed it a tiny bit more than Half Life 2. However - after now playing Half Life 2, Episode 1 & 2 and now Black Mesa, I still haven't got the faintest idea what the hell is going on!?

Ok, so I get that Black Mesa were doing some sort of research and did they open a portal to another world or something? At the end of Black Mesa/Half Life I jumped into a portal and then it ends. Half Life 2 begins with the green eyed man telling me to wake up but where did I go when I jumped into the portal? Who is the green eyed man?
Would anyone care to give me a summary of the story? I suppose I could always google it...

Soldato
Finally completed HL2 for the first time :D I've owned it since release day but due to various system formats over the years and having to restart it, I've never seen it through.

Absolutely loved it although I did think the end was a teeny tiny bit rushed compared to the rest of the game. Now, do I install the Cinematic mod and play it again?

Associate
I'm loving this game although I havnt been playing it hard out, I'm on a bit that's doing my nut in now though lol

I'm on the level where you go down into the mines ( the bit after the town at night where you meet the preacher) and its doing my nut in lol I have almost run out of ammo and keep getting killed by the poisonous head huggers that are at the bottom of the shaft, I'm going to have another go later but man its doing my nut in lol

Permabanned
I'm loving this game although I havnt been playing it hard out, I'm on a bit that's doing my nut in now though lol

I'm on the level where you go down into the mines ( the bit after the town at night where you meet the preacher) and its doing my nut in lol I have almost run out of ammo and keep getting killed by the poisonous head huggers that are at the bottom of the shaft, I'm going to have another go later but man its doing my nut in lol

Sounds like Ravenholm, tbh ive been playing this myself its still a classic game beats many games today in 2017!

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Just completed Black Mesa which was my first experience of Half Life after playing Half Life 2 first. What at and awesome experience - pure gaming heaven and I think I actually enjoyed it a tiny bit more than Half Life 2. However - after now playing Half Life 2, Episode 1 & 2 and now Black Mesa, I still haven't got the faintest idea what the hell is going on!?

Ok, so I get that Black Mesa were doing some sort of research and did they open a portal to another world or something? At the end of Black Mesa/Half Life I jumped into a portal and then it ends. Half Life 2 begins with the green eyed man telling me to wake up but where did I go when I jumped into the portal? Who is the green eyed man?
Would anyone care to give me a summary of the story? I suppose I could always google it...

http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/timeline.htm

Enjoy!

Finally completed HL2 for the first time :D I've owned it since release day but due to various system formats over the years and having to restart it, I've never seen it through.

Absolutely loved it although I did think the end was a teeny tiny bit rushed compared to the rest of the game. Now, do I install the Cinematic mod and play it again?

No now you do Episode 1 and 2.

Caporegime
hl2_2017_01_21_21_23_07_402.jpg

Shes not impressed! :D

Associate
I've actually had dreams several times about this game, after you get out of the tunnels with the slimy oozes into a spot where you fight a couple of things, I"ve had that recurring dream like 5 times or more.

Back
Top Bottom