Legend of Mir

Soldato
This used to have a tv channel on sky, that's how i found out about it. Suppose it was my first mmo, didn't really play it properly though.

Last edited:
Associate
Mir2 was also my first mmo, will never forget seeing it on game network then downloading all night on my 56k.

I got quite into Mir3 for a while, then tried a few private servers but it's nothing like the first experience, plus the community went somewhat downhill!

Associate
Sorry, wall of text incoming.

There's a small community of people who still play it on private servers. The issue is that there are too many of these servers, with everybody distributed, and people with different ideas on how the game should be played. They've added in their own dungeons and items, modified all the experience and drop rates, added horrible quests that copy theme park templates. If everybody were to unite around one single server, and if you add in the number of players who don't play the game now that would return if they knew about it, you'd be pushing a thousand players. In the end, I think what would be most popular is carbon copy of the Euro mir we were playing 10 years ago.

About this time last year there was an excellent server launched called Reunited, consisting mostly of players from the old Dragon server in Euro mir. It had slightly altered experience rates to allow people to level up to 40 relatively quickly (not stupidly - something like twice as fast as original), but mostly everything was designed to be the game we knew and loved. A good load of people you'd probably recognise and remember played. There were times when there were between 100 and 200 players on in the evenings.

Unfortunately, for little reasons, people stopped playing. There were some bugs, but none that weren't fixable given time. I think there were a couple of drop file errors that led to a couple of players becoming, by far, the richest and most powerful players on the server, and I think the limited experience of the guys running it meant the only way to sort it out would be a complete wipe, which nobody would have been happy with. I don't think many would've refused to play the game for this reason, despite grudges held.

Personally, I was slightly unhappy with the version of the game they used. It was after the patch that introduced gemming, which was the reason I stopped playing Euro mir initially. Part of the charm of Mir was the rarity (and thus, the wonder) of added stat items - there were items that were actually famous on the server because of this (yes, items, not players). To have gems dropping on a frequent basis that you'd use to make stupidly upgraded items wrecked the game for me. It wasn't enough to make me stop playing Reunited, but the added fact that the numbers began to dwindle did.

I think the fact that a significant proportion of the players who played Mir still long to go back to those glory days tells you just what a great game it was (and the fact I still talk so enthusiastically about it). Reunited was a fantastic opportunity to rekindle lost friendships and enjoy the game again, but it felt doomed from the start: although we want to relive the experiences of our many years playing Mir, we should probably realise that the memories of it are so strong and so fond because it dominated our lives, and none of us really want it to dominate our lives again. I had a blast playing with some of my old guild-mates again, but it was nowhere approaching how good the game was the first time I played. It had reached a level where the quality or design of the game was of little importance - I logged in because it was a world I had become a part of, a community of people who knew me and who valued me. Anything new will only be a reconstruction; a replica.

Aaaaanyway, in reference to what the OP said, I believe that in Asia there was (or is going to be) an update which drastically improves the detail in the textures. Example:

pg8_img1_2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Still remember that feeling when you were running to Dead Mines and you bump into an OmaKing and kill it and see that beautiful loot spew out? Why don't mmo's have that feeling any more :,(

Associate
OP
Was fantastic wasnt it lol :)
I would play again if the GFX were revamped...loved everything i use to play on Dragon Server years ago god when was that 2003?
Quite funny i met some person on HoN and he played Mir same time as me, funny to think we possibly played together :)

I really use to enjoy the battle for Sabuk Wall...anyone remember Kondor a level 46 Taoist he was GM of something i cant remember lol

Soldato
I remember Bullpit the highest lvl warrior and I started in 2002 the day the World Cup started that's how I remember that ;)
cHk4 on here used to play when I started and we've had each other on MSN and Facebook for 10 years now (MSN anyway) and that's what games like Mir used to do! A real sense of friendship and team work although for a lot of us it was our first mmorpg so rose tinted glasses and all that...

Associate
Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, people playing all games, but especially MMOs, had a willingness to learn that isn't there anymore. There's no hand-holding. No quests to follow. You're given a character to play, and this world to explore, and that's it. If you need help, you ask a fellow player - if neither of you know, you figure it out together. Probably because it was my first MMO, I'd find myself amazed at every new discovery or piece of information I came upon.

I was stunned by the generosity of a player giving me my first Ebony Sword, free of charge. I remember seeing the first player wearing level 11 armour and I decided to follow him, to see what incredible beasts he would be fighting - surely not the deers and scarecrows I'd been slaying for the last few hours. I ended up inside a dark cave - the first one I'd ever been in - and I immediately died to what I think was a giant scorpion.

(I'm sorry, you'll have to indulge me. I've found being nostalgic is kind of fun, and I can't seem to stop typing.)

I remember going back to that cave 5 or 6 levels later, myself now equipped in my new shiny light armour, and I come upon a group of people fighting a big red skeleton: we form a team; a few of us die, but then so does it; they ask me if I want to join their guild, and so I do (I had no idea what a guild was at the time). I make new friends, one of whom informs us that he is leaving this small guild to join one of his friends in True Family, one of the top guilds on the server. I ask if I can go with him, and he gets me in contact with their leader (Abelar, I think - I'm not too good at remembering all the names).

My first day in True Family we go on a guild hunt to Wooma Temple. I'm told stories of the Kings Room, of how it is deadly in there, how I should stay away from the walls or I could get cornered, how if I died that was the run over for me, because none of the higher levels would come and hold my hand back there again. After a very long run there (my first time past the first floor of WT), we make it into the KR. Another guild is already there, one I'd not yet heard of. The guild is Apex, who've gone on to be quite famous within the MMORPG scene. I'm told how their leader Wayne is the best player in the game (probably rubbish but I swallow it up). I'm told they have a strict level 33+ policy, a level I'm still way off, and that they have the most level 40s on the server (but we had more Dragon Slayer Swords, FWIW). Predictably, they get the Woomataurus, and we settle for a Wooma Guardian - he drops a ruby ring and I'm given my first rare item. I was over the moon.

Fast forward a long time, after killing all the bosses in the game, holding Sabuk Wall, making loads of money, and befriending many of the best players in the game, True Family disbands. Most of their top players join a guild called Divinity. Divinity is short-lived, partly because one of the founders fell out with most of us, and partly because we had found a better name: Revival.

Immediately I was considered a relatively prominent member of this new guild (the leader Zorin / Opel liked me). We had different principles to True Family, which by their name were predictably fairly friendly. We quickly became the strongest guild on the server, and we were going to flex our muscles. I'm sure if you played Dragon Server at the time and you weren't in the guild, you probably hated us. We'd go to every Kings Room, and get every boss. If there was anybody there, we wouldn't do the civilized thing and "join the queue" - we'd kill them. If we were there, the boss was ours. We'd gatecrash Sabuk Wars. We held it for a record number of days before a big alliance of other guilds took it off us. We'd relish being at war with as many guilds as possible, because PvP was what we were good at.

I'd log in and there'd be 5 different things to do. We'd have people in ZT KR, people waiting for Evil Centipede, people fighting a war. I think one night we managed to kill every boss on the server as well as hold Sabuk Wall in the space of a few hours. I'd gotten really good at the game. I had good gear, and the guild recognised me as a good player so invested in giving me some of the best loot that dropped. I believe I was the first Wizard with both Flame Field and Mirroring (the two strongest and rarest wizard skills) on either server. I had a Protection Ring. I was trusted to hang on to the guild's first Heaven Armour drop, and one of the first on the server. I had millions in gold. The guy who was amazed at being given an Ebony Sword.

I could go on all night. I won't. I doubt anybody's even going to read all this, though I don't mind. I'm just happy to reminisce.

/Olorin

Associate
OP
Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, people playing all games, but especially MMOs, had a willingness to learn that isn't there anymore. There's no hand-holding. No quests to follow. You're given a character to play, and this world to explore, and that's it. If you need help, you ask a fellow player - if neither of you know, you figure it out together. Probably because it was my first MMO, I'd find myself amazed at every new discovery or piece of information I came upon.

I was stunned by the generosity of a player giving me my first Ebony Sword, free of charge. I remember seeing the first player wearing level 11 armour and I decided to follow him, to see what incredible beasts he would be fighting - surely not the deers and scarecrows I'd been slaying for the last few hours. I ended up inside a dark cave - the first one I'd ever been in - and I immediately died to what I think was a giant scorpion.

(I'm sorry, you'll have to indulge me. I've found being nostalgic is kind of fun, and I can't seem to stop typing.)

I remember going back to that cave 5 or 6 levels later, myself now equipped in my new shiny light armour, and I come upon a group of people fighting a big red skeleton: we form a team; a few of us die, but then so does it; they ask me if I want to join their guild, and so I do (I had no idea what a guild was at the time). I make new friends, one of whom informs us that he is leaving this small guild to join one of his friends in True Family, one of the top guilds on the server. I ask if I can go with him, and he gets me in contact with their leader (Abelar, I think - I'm not too good at remembering all the names).

My first day in True Family we go on a guild hunt to Wooma Temple. I'm told stories of the Kings Room, of how it is deadly in there, how I should stay away from the walls or I could get cornered, how if I died that was the run over for me, because none of the higher levels would come and hold my hand back there again. After a very long run there (my first time past the first floor of WT), we make it into the KR. Another guild is already there, one I'd not yet heard of. The guild is Apex, who've gone on to be quite famous within the MMORPG scene. I'm told how their leader Wayne is the best player in the game (probably rubbish but I swallow it up). I'm told they have a strict level 33+ policy, a level I'm still way off, and that they have the most level 40s on the server (but we had more Dragon Slayer Swords, FWIW). Predictably, they get the Woomataurus, and we settle for a Wooma Guardian - he drops a ruby ring and I'm given my first rare item. I was over the moon.

Fast forward a long time, after killing all the bosses in the game, holding Sabuk Wall, making loads of money, and befriending many of the best players in the game, True Family disbands. Most of their top players join a guild called Divinity. Divinity is short-lived, partly because one of the founders fell out with most of us, and partly because we had found a better name: Revival.

Immediately I was considered a relatively prominent member of this new guild (the leader Zorin / Opel liked me). We had different principles to True Family, which by their name were predictably fairly friendly. We quickly became the strongest guild on the server, and we were going to flex our muscles. I'm sure if you played Dragon Server at the time and you weren't in the guild, you probably hated us. We'd go to every Kings Room, and get every boss. If there was anybody there, we wouldn't do the civilized thing and "join the queue" - we'd kill them. If we were there, the boss was ours. We'd gatecrash Sabuk Wars. We held it for a record number of days before a big alliance of other guilds took it off us. We'd relish being at war with as many guilds as possible, because PvP was what we were good at.

I'd log in and there'd be 5 different things to do. We'd have people in ZT KR, people waiting for Evil Centipede, people fighting a war. I think one night we managed to kill every boss on the server as well as hold Sabuk Wall in the space of a few hours. I'd gotten really good at the game. I had good gear, and the guild recognised me as a good player so invested in giving me some of the best loot that dropped. I believe I was the first Wizard with both Flame Field and Mirroring (the two strongest and rarest wizard skills) on either server. I had a Protection Ring. I was trusted to hang on to the guild's first Heaven Armour drop, and one of the first on the server. I had millions in gold. The guy who was amazed at being given an Ebony Sword.

I could go on all night. I won't. I doubt anybody's even going to read all this, though I don't mind. I'm just happy to reminisce.

/Olorin

LOL i remember that do you remember the wizard "Ben" haha he use to be stupidly good and annoying just standing in the building behind the bank in the pvp floor nuking his flamefield lol :)

Revival were huge and yes i hated them so bad, id be at EC and if u saw a torch come close ud **** yaself and see Revival lol :(

Associate
Yeah I remember Ben, but probably not in the way other people do. He joined Revival when he was a real lowbie, and I even helped him level up for a while. He seemed okay, inquisitive about how to play etc. I must have been level 40 or so when he was still relatively new to the game, so I gave him advice and helped him out. Then he had something really rare drop (I genuinely can't remember what it was, but it was one of the elite items), and it made him super rich. He started to act a bit of a prat, getting too big for his boots, so we kicked him. Since then he held a grudge against Revival. He played a lot. By the time I stopped playing, he was level 45 or something while I was only 44 (I'd given up levelling once I hit 44, went for almost two years at that level before calling it quits). He still lost almost every battle he ever had with us, at least until I left (with others) and presumably Revival weakened. From the moment he had that bit of luck with the rare drop, he thought himself a big shot of the server, and presumably played so much that he eventually was, even if there wasn't that much of a server left.

I think he runs his own private server now. Probably what he always wanted.

Associate
This brings back memories. It was my first mmo and I was obsessed by it. I do miss it but don't think it will ever be the same, the reason I feel it was so good was because I had never experienced it before. It was a mammoth grind but I would still probably play it if it came out again officially.

Back
Top Bottom