• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Quietest 1080?

Soldato
My 1080 is too noisy so going to swap it out.

I have an evga 1060 SC and its so quiet even under load it shames my 1080.

The EVGA 1080 SC therefore loooks a good proposition although the msi red and black Jobby would suit my case better and that's meant to be quiet too.

Associate
Palit Gamerock Premium or Gainward Phoenix Goes Like Hell (Same cooler). The coolers are very beefy so take up three slots. This allows the card to run at super low rpms under full load (900-1100 rpm).

They also do not suffer at all from any vrm cooling problems as per testing of multiple models by Tom's Hardware Germany.

http://www.tomshardware.de/nvidia-g...fikkarten-roundup,testberichte-242137-14.html

In the "Sound Development" section they pretty much say it's a challenge to believe the card is running under load with the latest BIOS.

Soldato
OP
Many thanks.

Water block hmm I'll suffer from pump noise!

Would a triple slot cooler fit a dual slot mini itx case bitfenix prodigy

Associate
Many thanks.

Water block hmm I'll suffer from pump noise!

Would a triple slot cooler fit a dual slot mini itx case bitfenix prodigy

Looks like you might be restricted to dual slot coolers in that case seeing how close the side panel is against the 2 slot covers on the photos I can see of the back of the case.

I have the MSI Gaming X 1070 and its quiet, a lot quieter that the FE I had before, its not silent but I am sensitive to noise and am happy with it.

Associate
I picked up a windforce 1080 triple fan during the black Friday and I have to say it's a great card.Very quiet no coil whine.Stock fan profile even when heavily overclocked is great.

Soldato
I have the gigabyte waterforce 980ti and its silent even under load so would recommend the waterforce 1080, they also have a no coil whine guarantee

Soldato

The EVGA 1080 SC therefore loooks a good proposition although the msi red and black Jobby would suit my case better and that's meant to be quiet too.

The EVGA 1070's and 1080's are now the loudest 10 series cards out there, thanks to the updated VBIOS ramping up the fan RPM to make up for lack of VRM cooling.

The MSI 1080's (Twin Frozr) are far quieter, they get my vote.

IMO avoid the AIO CLC water cooled cards, their pump noise is awful and is on all the time, even at idle. Those who say they can't hear it at idle either suffer from age related hearing loss, or have noisy case fans/PSU's masking the pump drone.

Custom watercooling is the best and quietest option, though requires maintenance and is much more expensive.

Soldato

So few posts later I will ask the obvious question which one do you have then to save someone suggesting the one you already have thats "noisy" ? :)

Soldato
OP
The EVGA 1070's and 1080's are now the loudest 10 series cards out there, thanks to the updated VBIOS ramping up the fan RPM to make up for lack of VRM cooling.

The MSI 1080's (Twin Frozr) are far quieter, they get my vote.

IMO avoid the AIO CLC water cooled cards, their pump noise is awful and is on all the time, even at idle. Those who say they can't hear it at idle either suffer from age related hearing loss, or have noisy case fans/PSU's masking the pump drone.

Custom watercooling is the best and quietest option, though requires maintenance and is much more expensive.

Ah I wasn't aware of the vrm cooling so thanks. I have been toying with the b grade gigabyte water force which is currently in my oculus basket but just read a review where whilst it's quiet there are quieter models. And yes pump noise!

Soldato
OP
So few posts later I will ask the obvious question which one do you have then to save someone suggesting the one you already have thats "noisy" ? :)

To be fair after a custom fan curve it's not horrific but my problem is that I built a 100% silent (even ear close to case) htpc with an i5 4570 and an evga 1060 SC. I tend to only use this htpc as it's so quiet and it seems silly to have a far more powerful pc sat there collecting dust. I'm going to make my main pc silent and sell off the htpc parts.

Last edited:
Soldato

MSI Armor OC. Had one, absolute blast, and when used it with the aircooler at 100% fan speed, was barely audible. While they overclock very well.
Under air was doing 2139 easily, under water 2190.

Associate
MSI Armor OC. Had one, absolute blast, and when used it with the aircooler at 100% fan speed, was barely audible. While they overclock very well.

I don't believe anyone who claims their graphics cards fans are "barely audible" when running at full speed. Maybe I`ve just been buying the wrong graphics cards, or I`ve got my speaker volume setting too high.

Overclocking ability is largely down to getting a card with a good GPU, it's mostly luck and a little bit of good circuit/cooling design by the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom