• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus Radeon R9 390X DC3 OC Strix temp issue

Associate
Hi guys

I have an issue with my GPU. In almost any game the temps are getting to 95 degrees.

I have the latest AMD drivers. If I set the fans to auto, they only start if the GPU is at ~70 degrees and they are not going all the way up.
If I set the fan speed manually, the noise is terrible and the temps still go to 80-90 degrees.

I've also tried MSI Afterburner and ASUS GPU Tweak II with no success. I don't remember having this problems when I bought the card in 2015.

I've cleaned the fans but it didn't help that much. Never overclocked the GPU.
What else can I do? I think the card is still under warranty.

My other components are:

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Intel i5 6600K + Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3
16 gb of ram
Crucial BC100 250 GB + CrucialMX300 750 gb
EVGA SuperNova G2 750W
Corsair Vengeance C70 case

Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I can't pinpoint the exact driver but I think it started happening with Crimson drivers.

The case fans are doing ok in my opinion. There should be plenty of airflow.
The CPU sits in the 60-70 degrees range in full load.

Recently I sometimes get alt tabbed out of games without even touching alt or tab. I'm not sure if it's related.

Soldato
With my 390 (Nitro version) the 3 fans dont kick in till the card hits 65C and normally idles at 32C.

whats your CPU temps? has this issue just started or been there from where you bought the card?

Associate
OP
The CPU temps are in the 60-70 range in full load.

The GPU was in the 70 degrees in full load when I bought it.

Other difference is that when I bought the card I was playing games in 1080p and now I'm playing on a 1440p monitor so the card is working harder.

Can these high temps affect my card in the long run?

I plan to get a VEGA gpu but it might take a while and I don't want my GPU to die in the next month or so.

Associate
My 390 went up close to 90c but it was still very quiet. I'm fairly sure these cards can take 95c fine... Maybe you could set a custom fan curve or replace the thermal paste? A few vendors let you change the paste without voiding warranty I think. If not maybe RMA

Soldato
My MSI 390X got up to 90DC regularly. Hawaii with 8GB of VRAM really is that hot.

Normal locked down 390's aren't too bad, it's just the unlocked 390X with all it's shaders that runs as hot as the sun.

Associate
OP
I don't think I will buy Asus again.
Updated the drivers last night and fans stopped working. Auto mode and manual mode did nothing. Also, because they have their own cooling system, I cannot see two sections in Global Wattman, temperature and fans min and target rpms.

Soldato
Try using DDU to totally remove everything in safe mode. Then reinstall drivers to the latest Crimson version. If the card has a bios switch then switch to the other one in case the one you are using is corrupted.

Since you have warranty then just send it back if nothing works.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure if it's related, but i had a similar issues with my MSI 480 whereby afterburner and wattman were conflicting and not allowing each other to access the fan control. It happened out of the blue, resetting wattman and ensuring it's set to manual fan control, and then setting up the curve in afterburner appears to have rectified the issue for now!

Soldato
Is 95c actually a problem though? (Don't know myself, just asking!)

For a non-reference card I think it is too high. The old reference blower 290X was set to around that before throttling but the 390 series were all AIB coolers.

My Powercolor 390 with default profile never went above 66C but I set an Afterburner custom fan profile to maintain 74C to minimize fan noise.
The 390X runs hotter than a 390 but should not reach 95C because it will start throttling. The Asus coolers are known to be be bad though and can run to around 87C according to some reviews.

Soldato
Is 95c actually a problem though? (Don't know myself, just asking!)

Thats subjective.

some people think anything above 70 is unacceptable.
Technically the card should last no problem whatever temp because it will throttle where AMD deems it needs to (with a margin of error too). I think its around 105 degrees for the 390x chip. That said, you will loose performance as it throttles and the fan noise will be crazy.

I prefer a happy medium. Im happy if my CPU / GPU hit 80-85 max. I don't think that will have any impact on the usable lifespan of the chip.

I actually watched a guy take a cooler off a CPU and remove the throttling and it got to like 190 degrees before any physical damage.

So the people who are only happy when their silicone is under 65 degrees are being silly IMO.

If the noise and heat doesn't bother you then as long as the card isn't throttling you are fine to be honest.

Associate
OP
Asus advertised this card as being 30% cooler and because it has 3 bloody fans I thought that is enough. I don't think the card has dual bios. I know some 390x models have it.

The card has 3 years warranty. If I want to RMA it should I contact OCUK or Asus?

Associate
OP
Sent the card to OcUK guys. They had the same problems(crashes) and sent it to the manufacturer for repairs or replacement.

Any of you guys had to send products back to Asus? If yes, how long it took till you got the product back?

It sucks without a GPU.

Permabanned
I had exactly the same issue with my MSI 290x gaming and tried a paste change but it never helped and like mentioned the fans didn't stop it from hitting the 90's either, I did a 10 for 10 fan profile and it would still hit 90+ with the added issue of being noisy, It was a common issue too, It taught me to give MSI a wide berth in future. I also noticed that ASUS owners were in the same boat so again I now give them a wide berth

Associate
OP
I got a reply from OcUK and the solution was a replacement.
Because there are no more 390xs, I'm going to get a Fury Nitro from Sapphire.
It should arrive on Monday and hopefully, no more problems!

Back
Top Bottom