Son banned from Overwatch competitive play AGAIN

Soldato
Once again my son has been banned without warning from competitive play in Overwatch. This is the 2nd time it's happened. The last time we totally understood as we had a poor internet connection which would lag out. Despite raising support tickets with Blizz asking for the warning to be reset nothing could be done and he eventually got banned for too many disconnects.

However I've upgraded the PC wifi connection and its solid, he never leaves games early and was playing on Saturday evening. When he logged in Sunday afternoon he was banned.

He's a good player so I launched a support ticket again but support cannot tell me for what reason he was banned nor they cant tell me if he's just suspended or banned or if they gave any warnings.

My son is a really honest boy (age 11) and said he got no warnings just booted up the game and the ban was in place. The previous time he told me about the warnings and that he would get banned.

Support also can't reinstate him and he has to wait out his suspension/ban for however long this is. :confused:

Now I know when people write banned in Blizz forums they get grief as they must have done something but this is one time where I think something has gone wrong.

Anyone else had some issues with the game?

EDIT: damned QWERTY keyboard it should be banned not bqnned :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Once again my son has been banned without warning from competitive play in Overwatch. This is the 2nd time it's happened. The last time we totally understood as we had a poor internet connection which would lag out. Despite raising support tickets with Blizz asking for the warning to be reset nothing could be done and he eventually got banned for too many disconnects.

However I've upgraded the PC wifi connection and its solid, he never leaves games early and was playing on Saturday evening. When he logged in Sunday afternoon he was banned.

He's a good player so I launched a support ticket again but support cannot tell me for what reason he was banned nor they cant tell me if he's just suspended or banned or if they gave any warnings.

My son is a really honest boy (age 11) and said he got no warnings just booted up the game and the ban was in place. The previous time he told me about the warnings and that he would get banned.

Support also can't reinstate him and he has to wait out his suspension/ban for however long this is. :confused:

Now I know when people write banned in Blizz forums they get grief as they must have done something but this is one time where I think something has gone wrong.

Anyone else had some issues with the game?

EDIT: damned QWERTY keyboard it should be banned not bqnned :)

I'd check his pc for malware or if any other games have mods etc maybe there anti cheat picked it up and banned him? Only thing I can think of it it's not disconnects

Soldato
It does seem very odd that they can't/wont give any information on the ban.

You are also incredibly lucky to have an honest 11 year old that will apparently own up to all and everything that he might have done that he perhaps shouldn't have... It must be an error in their system then.

**EDIT** Okay, perhaps I shouldn't be sarcastic, sorry. He told you about the warnings when he was having disconnects, he's not done anything wrong. Are you sure he would tell you if he'd been abusive to other players or left lots of games when loosing?

(Can/do they ban players that get reported for things?)

Last edited:
Underboss
Maybe try the subreddit and see if you can get any answers.

Not saying they are anymore of less helpful than the forum but it's worth a try.

Man of Honour
Being 11 I'd suspect he's installed an aimbot or wall hack etc.

Yeah because all 11 year olds are compelled to aimbot in online gaming. :rolleyes:

To the Op, it's possible the account was on 'final warning' status from all the disconnecting/leaving, and it got a report from another player, which locked it down.

Maybe worth just buying a new copy than trying to argue with Blizzard support.

Soldato
I'd just move on and play a different game.
The competitive scene in Overwatch is about as toxic as CS:GO and is gaming cancer as far as I'm concerned, I'm pretty good but quit as at nearly 40 all the trash talk and ****ging off just does my head in.

Associate
I was recently on a wifi connection which I thought was solid but on closer inspection there was some packet loss resulting in Red Orchestra detecting it as a speed hack so I got banned. Changed to wired connection and everything is perfect again.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I'd thoroughly recommend Ethernet wall plug adapters if he's doing a lot of gaming and they're affordable to you.

Could it be he got caught up in the toxicity and started being rude etc? Shouting over comms or something? Might have got reported for something along those lines if he got caught in the moment.

Associate
Good luck trying to get this resolved, I find it terrible that you can spend quite a sum of money on an online only game and then get banned with no explanation. If they're so busy with managing the playerbase by banning/investigating, then surely they've sold enough copies to finance better communication at least?

I love Blizzard games, play Battlenet games probably as much as Steam and there's a tiny amount on there compared. But stories like this turn me off any company, no matter how much I like their products (Overwatch is the only BNet game I don't own BTW, not keen on twitch shooters, too old for all that, and it's too pricey for what it is IMO)

Associate
Wasn't there a banwave for players using mei to knock friendly players out of the map? Once out of the map they couldn't be hurt but could shoot others fine. Could have been because of that maybe?

Caporegime
(Overwatch is the only BNet game I don't own BTW, not keen on twitch shooters, too old for all that, and it's too pricey for what it is IMO)

I wouldn't even say it's a twitch shooter.

It has character classes and some aren't really expected to have great aim, characters like Mercy who is a healer and rarely has to use her pistol.

Back
Top Bottom