• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Titan XP, anything i need to know?

Soldato
as stated in my previous thread, i wanted more gpu grunt over the 1080GTX

i've very much considering jumping to Titan XP after reading reviews of roughly 20/30% increase

question is their any thing i need to consider during the switch?

so far i got
- Louder (staying with Air)
- requires 6+8 Pin
- Cost of course?

anything else i should know?

Soldato
if you have the space something like the mk-26 3rd party cooler, if you dont want to risk an AIO leaking, would certainly take care of your heat/noise issue with the Titan XP.

Associate
Question begs, as I am running Titan Xm sli, quite a few games don't support sli as such and you have to manually configure the cards to run alt lines or it doesn't utilise the 2nd card.

Soldato
Yep SLI is better but only in games where it scales. Otherwise if there is no affect it is more wasted monies. The TXP to me would be a better option that 1080 in SLI mainly because you know you will always get the performance boost whereas with SLI it is a little bit of a gamble.

And if anything that video proves that really the performance gain of SLI is not great for the extra power or heat. OK so they cost the same if you go for the base model 1080 but step up to any decent 3rd party cooler model and you are talking about an extra £100-£200 more.

Plus if you wanted to watercool you then need two blocks and make sure you have enough RAD space etc. So that adds a further £100 more.

Caporegime
Go the whole hog and get a titan P and watercool it to get the best bang for your buck. It'll cost you but it'll last you a long time too. I can't see any of the Titan P guys needing to upgrade for a long time to come.

Generally the people who buy Titan cards are the ones who'll upgrade every time. My Titan X (Maxwell) decided to die on me out of warranty so it'll be a long time before I risk buying a card that expensive again.

I'd always choose the fastest single card rather than a SLI setup unless something changes drastically and scaling is at least 80% in the majority of titles.

Caporegime
Point I was making is that the OP is mainly 'upgrading' from his 1080GTX to a Titan XP to get better framerates in Witcher 3.

That video proves he's better off just getting another 1080 in SLI if he's concerned about Witcher 3 performance.

Soldato
In Witcher 3 I should point out that the TXP is around a 17% increase in frames so if you are getting 50 fps you will only increase to 58-59 fps approx.

You will indeed get 60-70fps out of a GTX 1080 in SLI so apologise. If you feel that you are only wanting to push the Witcher 3 more then yes the SLI options is currently the best solution. I would however be wary still myself as it again is only another 15% faster than the TXP for the extra card.

The costs are the same of course overall if you compare two GTX 1080 to that of a single TXP with caveats as I outlined above. But this is a limited case and we know that the TXP is pretty consistent of reasonable improvements across the board.

If Nvidia could really guarantee say 80% scaling then it would be different as you would gain a further 50% over the TXP and it would not be a question then.

And the fact everyone would be on SLI 1080 who are currently on TXP for the same money bar maybe a handful who can afford to SLI the TXP.

Soldato
I think you will find the difference is a lot more than that.:)

I took this as a data point

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2016/09/20/nvidia-titan-x-pascal-review/9

This equates too (rounded figures):
21% at 1080p
16.5% at 1440p
22% at 4k

So it isn't a lot more different. This of course is comparing an off the shelf overclocked 1080 (but then that's what we are buying etc) to the Titan at stock at those figures because again as it is brought so that is the direct gain if you brought off the shelf and didn't clock anything manually.

Now if you can get a decent overclock out the TXP then of course this changes.

4k with a manually OC'ed TXP compared to an off the shelf OC'ed 1080 on Bit-tech is suggesting a massive 45% increase in FPS. 46fps to 67fps.

How likely to get one that OC's that well and thus give the same performance I don't know.

The speeds provided for the 1080 though are within 2fps of all the other reports I have seen. The TXP varies by about 5-8fps depending on who reviewed and when so that is a slight anomaly.

Caporegime
If you can live with the noise, the titanxp overclocks better than the 1080s in general.

Of course you have gem 1080s and poor txps but in general.

Associate
I have no regrets buying my Titan XP but running one air cooled is a waste, these things beg for a waterblock and a custom loop.

I have to be honest however, i think your mad, Titan XM - Titan XP for me was a pretty huge bump, its perfect for my 1440p 144hz gsync setup and the XP runs solidly at over 2050 mhz. If i had bought into a 1080 i wouldn't be even considering it.

Back
Top Bottom