Gaming on 1-2.5mb

Soldato
I'm currently using 100mb Virgin but I'm looking at moving house to the country-side however the broadband speeds I've come to know and love are virtually none existent at the new house, 1-2.5mb on BT 512kb minimum.

At the moment I hammer the broadband, my son streams night and day, I download like a mad man and missis is never off the internet. All at the same time. Now I know this won't be possible at the new property but will I still be able to play games online. My must game is Battlefield, but how will it cope.

The local phone exchange is Fibre enabled by BT but they have no plans to install at the address I'm looking at.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You are ****ed bro :D Seriously though, so long as you are gaming only (no streaming/downloading), you will be fine but the way digital content is distributed, it will hurt you!

Associate
i live in aberdeenshire and get about 2-3 meg hasent effected my gaming just the downloading the the games takes a lot longer, get a ping of around 50 in battlefield 1 etc so and i can watch 720p videos on youtube with not much issue

Associate
You could always use a VPN to max out the connection. I always use PIA VPN now. My old mans adsl connection from sky was always hitting between 3.5 and 5mb download. I tried PIA VPN and get a constant max speed of 5mb.

Edit:

This my 150mb Virgin Fiber connection, connected via PIA VPN.

5978402890.png

Last edited:
Associate
The way the world is going you've be at a disadvantage, everything is going cloud/stream based due to ever increasing internet speeds. You'll be stuck in the 1930's my friend :-/

Get used to that 'wireless', and i'm not talking networking terminology ;)

bJN

bJN

Soldato
That level of bandwidth will have no negative impact on your ability to play games online. Being in the middle of nowhere, your latency will likely be the bigger obstacle - for first person shooters anyway.

My place outside of Norwich, despite being a housing estate that first opened a couple of years ago, has only this week had the ability to get fibre. Still on Sky Unlimited Broadband though, up to 20Mb/s and we have only ever got 3Mb/s at most, it's now closer to 2Mb/s as more people have moved in. Latency is mediocre at around 35ms to UK websites. Any serious downloading I need to do I just use my phone and tether, can get a good 8-9Mb/s at most times of the day.

Soldato
Going from a 100Mbps connection to anything less will be torture and wind you up!

Disagree I moved house and went from Virgin 150/10 to sky 80/20 and apart from downloads taking twice has long its hardly torture, matter of a fact my pings and latency is better on sky fibre than Virgin and get lower pings vs my friends on same server and they are on Virgin.

The biggest issue OP will face is others using the Internet while playing games it's horrible I had too wait almost two months before this house got fibre connected and I was using sky basic connection it was fine playing online only streaming was horrible.

Soldato
OP
Ok thanks for the answer guys. As long as gaming is ok and the ping isn't over 40/50 I think I can cope. Problem is it's not like I can get 4G on my phone, I can hardly make a phone call, google won't load so using my phone for stuff won't help.
I can do some download at work on my Surface Pro for films and stuff, but my 2 year old son hammers kids youtube, so he won't be able to do this while I try and game.

The only other option is satellite broadband, which only seems to be 20mb super expensive and what's the ping like on that?

Associate
It would take you a week to download bf1 now if you ever had a hard drive fail or needed to re download it for any reason it would be painful.

I had 3-6mb before i moved and have 300mb now with bt and its crazy how quick you can download massive games now :D

On a 2mb line BF1 would take

ADSL 2 Mbit/s 58:15:15

That's crazy.

Associate
Ok thanks for the answer guys. As long as gaming is ok and the ping isn't over 40/50 I think I can cope. Problem is it's not like I can get 4G on my phone, I can hardly make a phone call, google won't load so using my phone for stuff won't help.
I can do some download at work on my Surface Pro for films and stuff, but my 2 year old son hammers kids youtube, so he won't be able to do this while I try and game.

The only other option is satellite broadband, which only seems to be 20mb super expensive and what's the ping like on that?

Really bad i wouldn't even look at it unless really have no choice your looking around 150 ping mostly

It would be better to get a 4g modem and buy a monthly sub than getting sat net.

Back
Top Bottom