• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Recommend me a GTX1070

Associate
I am looking to get a 1070, but the original model I was looking at (Strix) had one of the higher clock rates. Unfortunately this is now out of stock, and planning on ordering something tomorrow.

Recommendations on brand or specific cards would be appreciated!

Soldato
Whatever you do avoid the Asus DUAL-GTX1070-O8G, it's loud and you have to flash the bios on it to be able to use 0rpm fan speed on idle, then, when you change the cooler for something more efficient you'll have to bugger around with fan control software after EVERY reboot to get it to recognise the fan curve.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advice. Will keep eye open and probably talk to the guys at OC tomorrow in store.

Rest seem kinda meh value-wise imo, but MSI/Gigabyte/Asus are decent as well. Palit/Gainward are pretty good as well but 2y warranty seems ****-poor tbh.
[/url]

Would love to know what the "Rest" are as you pretty much named the majority of card manufacturers.

Associate
I got one of the £360 strix's, didn't even think about card length and it doesn't fit in my lovely lian-li case. Gutted. Don't want to spend more money, but looks like I either need to get the angle grinder out, or send it back, but concerned I won't find another card that'll fit for similar money if I do. :(

Soldato
I got one of the £360 strix's, didn't even think about card length and it doesn't fit in my lovely lian-li case. Gutted. Don't want to spend more money, but looks like I either need to get the angle grinder out, or send it back, but concerned I won't find another card that'll fit for similar money if I do. :(

That's a bit of a bummer :(

What would need cutting on your case? Would be a shame to butcher a nice case.

Associate
My Palit Gamerock Premium is fast (~2050Mhz GPU/8500Mhz VRAM) at default. Dual BIOS. Very quiet (most are, but some quieter than others). According to the reviews I read before and after purchase, it has one of the best designed heatsinks for low GPU and VRM temperatures.

Only a two year warranty, and no UK service centre. The card design might not suit some tastes, but I don't look at it while I'm using my PC.

My Palit Gamerock Premium is fast (~2050Mhz GPU/8500Mhz VRAM) at default. Dual BIOS. Very quiet (most are, but some quieter than others). According to the reviews I read before and after purchase, it has one of the best designed heatsinks for low GPU and VRM temperatures.

Only a two year warranty, and no UK service centre. The card design might not suit some tastes, but I don't look at it while I'm using my PC.

They are great cards, i have the Super Jetstream and its been flawless for the few months ive had it, super quiet and boosts like a mofo.

Associate
They are great cards, i have the Super Jetstream and its been flawless for the few months ive had it, super quiet and boosts like a mofo.

I nearly mentioned the SJ. Slightly cheaper and apparently a very similar card.

I like Palit's "heavy duty" cooling. Two large fans and a thick heatsink. I nearly went for the Zotac Amp Extreme, but the card is just too long for my case. Looking at most of the GTX1070 coolers, it seems that Palit have probably done the best job.

Soldato
Thanks for all the advice. Will keep eye open and probably talk to the guys at OC tomorrow in store.

Would love to know what the "Rest" are as you pretty much named the majority of card manufacturers.

I meant, I'd say Zotac & EVGA = great value. Rest are decent, but not great. MSI/Gigabyte/Asus having more streamlined CS & good performance / decent builds, while Palit/Gainward/Manli/whatever have generally ok cards (with some excellent) performance-wise, but poor warranty/CS.

Associate
I meant, I'd say Zotac & EVGA = great value. Rest are decent, but not great. MSI/Gigabyte/Asus having more streamlined CS & good performance / decent builds, while Palit/Gainward/Manli/whatever have generally ok cards (with some excellent) performance-wise, but poor warranty/CS.

EVGA great value ? Yes, they have a 5 year warranty, but their recent cooler design issue doesn't make those cards "great value" in my opinion. Perhaps the new cards will be better, but that remains to be seen.

"Rest are decent, but not great" ? Depends how your define "great". If a great graphics card is one with a 5 year warranty, then look no further than an EVGA or a Zotac. If you take other factors into consideration, then there are plenty of equally as good, if not better cards to choose from in my opinion.

MSI/Gigabyte and ASUS probably have decent customer service and good performance. I can say that Gigabyte's customer service is decent, as my previous Nvidia graphics card had to be RMA'd to them twice before it finally died. Decent in that it was a fairly fast turnaround. Shame the card was rubbish.

Last edited:
Soldato
Before Christmas one online shop had a few hundred MSI 1070 cards for sale at £300. Since Christmas there've been a few deals around at the £350 mark. Could be a saving to be had.

Associate
Have a look around for the Strix elsewhere, you can grab it about 50 quid cheaper and in stock. If you can wait you might get a deal for 359 like a few people snapped up last week.

What was 359 the Strix? I'm after a 1070 but there is no good deals that I can see atm.

Associate
That's a bit of a bummer :(

What would need cutting on your case? Would be a shame to butcher a nice case.

Would've needed to cut a good 2 cm or so out of the drive bay at the top - I could've done it but decided against it as I didn't want to butcher a nice case. I sent it back and picked up and EVGA 1070 SC for £389, higher clockspeed, better warranty, not as high a quality card and £30 more, but I couldn't be bothered waiting for a better deal, and at least the EVGA will fit. :(

Soldato
EVGA great value ? Yes, they have a 5 year warranty, but their recent cooler design issue doesn't make those cards "great value" in my opinion. Perhaps the new cards will be better, but that remains to be seen.

"Rest are decent, but not great" ? Depends how your define "great". If a great graphics card is one with a 5 year warranty, then look no further than an EVGA or a Zotac. If you take other factors into consideration, then there are plenty of equally as good, if not better cards to choose from in my opinion.

MSI/Gigabyte and ASUS probably have decent customer service and good performance. I can say that Gigabyte's customer service is decent, as my previous Nvidia graphics card had to be RMA'd to them twice before it finally died. Decent in that it was a fairly fast turnaround. Shame the card was rubbish.

The EVGA "scandal" was a storm in a teacup, with most issues way over-exaggerated.

Here's the thing about Pascal, all cards are pretty much within 10% of each other in all aspects of the cards (i.e. overclocking, noise, temps, etc). The main differentiating factors and where differences can be much higher are in CS & Warranty. So it makes more sense, to my mind, to value 2 extra years of warranty/better service (i.e. faster RMA turn-around times & less hassle of it being approved)/transferable warranty, over let's say a 5% performance increase (e.g. vs a Palit 1060). But I mean hey, if someone thinks the opposite, more power to them, there's no real counter-argument against it that I can find.

Associate
The EVGA "scandal" was a storm in a teacup, with most issues way over-exaggerated.

Here's the thing about Pascal, all cards are pretty much within 10% of each other in all aspects of the cards (i.e. overclocking, noise, temps, etc). The main differentiating factors and where differences can be much higher are in CS & Warranty. So it makes more sense, to my mind, to value 2 extra years of warranty/better service (i.e. faster RMA turn-around times & less hassle of it being approved)/transferable warranty, over let's say a 5% performance increase (e.g. vs a Palit 1060). But I mean hey, if someone thinks the opposite, more power to them, there's no real counter-argument against it that I can find.

I guess real world performance in terms of fps is almost certainly well within 5% across all GTX1070s. From what I`ve read, most will overclock to 2000Mhz, with a few being able to reach ~2100Mhz. There really isn't going to be a massive difference between the best and worst cards. And whatever the difference, it doesn't seem that any particular card is much better than others, it's just luck of the draw when it comes to the GPU itself.

I did see a youtube video of several GTX1070's having their noise levels compared. There did seem to be a noticeable difference between cards, but again, they were all fairly quiet.

Warranty and CS does differ between manufacturers, and it is certainly the factor that varies the most. Therefore it would seem to be the factor that most people would look at in deciding which card to buy. However, if you are looking for the quietest, coolest or best looking card, you might decide that a longer warranty period is not so important. If your case can't accommodate a longer card, you might not want to choose that card and have to replace your case. There's also price to consider. If a card with a longer warranty costs £50 more than another card, you might choose to make the saving.

For some people, especially those who plan to sell their card after a year or two, warranty will almost certainly be the deciding factor, but for others it might not be so important.

Back
Top Bottom