• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gsync + frame rate limit test "hope he does FS + FRTC"

Soldato
Very interesting video for you guys running Gsync and use nvidia drivers or msi too limit frame rate below refresh rate.

Hoping he also tests FRTC from AMD drivers and Freesync would be very interested in the results.

Soldato
Without looking at the video, everyone seems to have differing opinions over whether it's better to use frame rate limiting or VSync in conjunction with FreeSync/GSync. AMD recommends VSync and suggests that it doesn't even take effect unless your fps goes above the monitor's refresh rate anyway (hence no downsides, including input lag, whilst you're within the FreeSync range). Whether VSync is still the best option for games that actually include FPS limiters, I'm not sure.

After watching the video, the fact that nVidia's generic frame rate limiter adds delay doesn't surprise me since I'm sure I remember reading that AMD's has the same issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Without looking at the video, everyone seems to have differing opinions over whether it's better to use frame rate limiting or VSync in conjunction with FreeSync/GSync. AMD recommends VSync and suggests that it doesn't even take effect unless your fps goes above the monitor's refresh rate anyway (hence no downsides). Whether VSync is still the best option for games that actually include FPS limiters, I'm not sure.

After watching the video, the fact that nVidia's generic frame rate limiter adds delay doesn't surprise me since I'm sure I remember reading that AMD's has the same issue.

Msi afterburner also adds input lag I didn't expect that tbh. BTW vsync is only an issue with Gsync and Freesync below the Adaptive-Sync window 30 or 40 on some monitors.

Soldato
Without looking at the video, everyone seems to have differing opinions over whether it's better to use frame rate limiting or VSync in conjunction with FreeSync/GSync. AMD recommends VSync and suggests that it doesn't even take effect unless your fps goes above the monitor's refresh rate anyway (hence no downsides, including input lag, whilst you're within the FreeSync range). Whether VSync is still the best option for games that actually include FPS limiters, I'm not sure.

ive always found using vsync with Gsync adds delay when looking at the OSD graph or hardware monitor. Using a frame limiter is better such as RTSS . However i have found using the odd game's built in frame limiter is abit hit and miss. Tends to allow the fps to jump a little which plays with the frame times. RTSS seems more stable and locks FPS better.

Caporegime
In truth, I am not fussed. At my ripe old age, I have reactions of a slug on diazepan :D

G-Sync has been a game changer for me, as I am sure it has for others and the same for Freesync for others. Great tech.

Man of Honour
Why on earth didn't he use/test FastSync? What a waste!

He doesn't have a lot of resources - most of his testing is facilitated by viewers (he isn't that big compared to some other channels) or sometimes manufacturers lending or donating equipment and he couldn't get hold of a freesync panel in time.

Permabanned
In truth, I am not fussed. At my ripe old age, I have reactions of a slug on diazepan :D

G-Sync has been a game changer for me, as I am sure it has for others and the same for Freesync for others. Great tech.

+1

I'm happy with my 75hz freesync panel, I use AMD's frame limiter set to 73 and don't notice any delay which is great.
I will upgrade my monitor once we get ultrawide 144hz IPS models with all the trimmings..

He doesn't have a lot of resources - most of his testing is facilitated by viewers (he isn't that big compared to some other channels) or sometimes manufacturers lending or donating equipment and he couldn't get hold of a freesync panel in time.

I believe he meant FASTsync which is something Nvidia have (It may also be freesync compatible, I'm not sure) but it would be nice to see the same test results for a Freesync set-up.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Dunno if it was ninja edit or I misread it but swear it said FreeSync before.

He does test FastSync in another video and gives conclusions on it there.

Caporegime
No Ninja :p But good that he has tested it in another vid. I run with Fast but It isn't needed for the games I am playing (The Division mainly) and VR caps at 90 fps, so no good for that :)

Man of Honour
Can't remember which one it was might have been this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L07t_mY2LEU&t=823s

He concluded it had more work to be done before being a fully useful option - hence not really testing again until/unless its updated.

I hope nVidia do put some more effort into it as on my secondary 75Hz UW non-G-Sync/FreeSync panel its a game changer when it works properly - though in future its probably increasingly more common those panels will have some form of adaptive sync.

Back
Top Bottom