fancy router worth it?

Associate
So given all the black fridayness about, Have seen a bunch of ac routers, is it worth upgrading to ac for general web browsing? currently the file transfer speed i get over wifi is around what i get download speed on a wired pc, so guessing there would be a so of a gain there

setup wise theres a modem > techincolour plusnet router > switches > old router to use as range extender, as house has thick walls.

guess other area that could be improved would be gaming?, doubt id be using the nas like features and other things they can do

Associate
it sounds from a speed perspective maybe not for you.

However, i love all the features a good router can provide (guest wifi, ddns support, openvpn, print server, personal cloud).

Associate
a more modern router would more likely have better QOS than the plusnet router, if that even has QOS, which would help in a gaming environment if there are other net applications going on about the network

Soldato
Netduma R1 Router

This router is great for gaming. However you need this connected to the modem and all traffic routing through this router to take advantage of it. That would improve gaming aspects! But upgrading for general webbrowsing i wouldn't say so!

Associate
If the extra features are useful to you or you have a lot of users where something like QoS features would be a benefit, then yes. AC is only worth bothering if the AP is near by and you want to transfer a lot of data fast. G/N is better for general browsing if that's all it's going to be used for and has better signal penetration.

Soldato
Wireless signal should be a bit better. I just upgraded mine from a HH5 and I'm getting better signal in far reaching areas of the house (the loo, most important place for internet IMO :D)

But seeing as you don't have many clients, if you're not experiencing any issues I wouldn't upgrade.

Permabanned
What's with all these sponsored by Netduma posts, it's worse than their twitter spam where people post their scoreboards where they are on top and say "DOMINATE LAG, THANKS NETDUMA"

Back
Top Bottom