Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
What are you fellow gen8 users using yours for? Hoping to finally get mine set up with Server 2012 over the weekend. Tempted to sell two of the hard drives I bought for this. Think 12TB is just too much for what I'll be using them for. Since I can't return them despite not having been used I need to decide pretty quickly before I configure RAID and save data onto them. Other than plex it'll just be used as a NAS for now I think.

Mines slowly sucking up money, thats what I use mine for..

Started off with the base Celeron unit with 4gb RAM and the optical drive and 2x 2Tb drives.
Then in the space of 6 months I now have..
Xeon E3-1260L
16Gb RAM
3x 256Gb 840 Pro's
3x 4Tb Seagate NAS Drives
1x 6Tb WD Red+
P222

maj

maj

Soldato

Started off with the base Celeron unit with 4gb RAM and the optical drive and 2x 2Tb drives.
Xeon E3-1260L
16Gb RAM
3x 256Gb 840 Pro's
1x 6Tb WD Red+
P222

What sort of data do you keep to need that amount of storage? I guess you can never have too much storage but not sure what I can do to benefit 12TB I currently have. Although the above post about CCTV has given me an idea...

Permabanned

Xeon E3-1260L
16Gb RAM
3x 256Gb 840 Pro's
1x 6Tb WD Red+
P222

That's cute :)

kmqAibj.png

1x Gen8 with 4x6TB WD Red
1x Gen8 with 4x4TB WD Red
1x DS213j with 4x4TB WD Red
1x DS213j with 4x3TB WD Red
Then I just had another seagate fail in my main server, so 1x 750GB + 3x1TB (older samsung drives) + 3x3TB (2 WD Red + 1 Seagate) + 1x6TB WD Red in there.

I'm thinking about picking up another 2 while they're still on offer :eek:

I've got to ask though - why did you stick 3x 250GB SSDs in the server? Server is so relatively low use, it seems like a waste... I'd rather have them storing games or other apps on my desktop PC.

I do have 1x SSD in my main server for the primary OS though, an old 50GB OCZ Vertex 2, which I had laying around and not doing anything. I run a few VMs, but they're so low use - I have them sitting on the single 750GB drive.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's cute :)
I've got to ask though - why did you stick 3x 250GB SSDs in the server? Server is so relatively low use, it seems like a waste... I'd rather have them storing games or other apps on my desktop PC.

I do have 1x SSD in my main server for the primary OS though, an old 50GB OCZ Vertex 2, which I had laying around and not doing anything. I run a few VMs, but they're so low use - I have them sitting on the single 750GB drive.

My main rig has a pair of SSD's in it so not needed there.
The ones in the server, 1 boot and 2 for VM storage, hence the Xeon ;)

Permabanned
My main rig has a pair of SSD's in it so not needed there.
The ones in the server, 1 boot and 2 for VM storage, hence the Xeon ;)

How many VMs? Are you really using every single VM simultaneously? And I mean using, not just running. Even the main OS it a bit of a waste... SSD for an OS drive in a server would only really come into its own in an enterprise environment.

Just seems like a waste when that 0.5TB could be in your main rig... I have 2TB of SSD storage in the main rig and want more...

Soldato
To each their own, I don't need the space on my man rig as it does very little, server runs 4 vm's 2 get used most of the time, the other 2 are lite...
Might take one of them out and put t in my test rig as well as one of my 270x's but haven't decided yet...

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Running VMs off an SSD is one of the best things you can do to make the environment snappy. Everything is blindingly fast. It's not like 500GB SSDs are expensive. And don't forget that with thin-provisioning you get great bang for buck in terms of the number of VMs you can run off 500GB.

Soldato
I've got a pair of 2 Tb drives in RAID 1 then a Synology DS1813+ with 14.5Tb usable presented as an iSCSI LUN via a bonded 4 x 1Gbps network. Performance isn't amazing but for what I'm using it for its fast enough.

The Microserver is running ESXi 6 with 16Gb RAM and a Xeon E3-1220L V2 which is running 6 virtual machines:

- Windows 2012 R2 standard. Running Crashplan, Plex, SabNZB, DSLStats and a few other things. 10Tb of storage on the Synology is presented as an iSCSI volume. Linux VMs are backed up weekly to the iSCSI storage.
- Windows 7. General Windows usage plus Crashplan.
- Ubuntu 14.03 LTS. General use Linux box.
- Open VPN access appliance (based in Ubuntu 14.03 LTS). Open VPN remote access.
- Opsview atom appliance - Running Opsview (based on Nagios) for monitoring the devices on the network.
- Another Ubuntu 14.03 LTS running UniFi controller for my AP.

maj

maj

Soldato
Finally got my cash back through yesterday. Still can't decide whether to sell 2 x 3TB drives or not and just stick with 6TB in Raid 1 (so 3TB in total effectively). Now that I have Kodi set up so it streams every TV show I watch, I don't think I'm gonna need as much storage as I thought. Other than some documents, games, software, and music I don't keep much data on my computer that needs backed up.

Associate
Upgraded mine with a E3-1220L (v1) and its made quite a difference to plex transcoding performance. Managed to snag the cpu for £80 on that popular auction site.

reduced the power consumption a little too, so bargain :)

Soldato
Just had this as a Windows 7 optional update:

"microsoft digital media server module" update.

Should I install it on my Win 7 / microserver system please?

Soldato
having major issues with mine. well, i cannot install windows. heres what happened:

trial version of windows server expired, i forgot my password!!

wanted to put windows 7 pro as i have a paid copy to use and then install windows 10.

drive was detected under windows setup but then get the dreaded message:

setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an exisiting system partition......

the drive is in the odd and is the same ssd that had windows server.

2nd usb drive has the dyanmic hp drivers i need.

any help would be great?

Back
Top Bottom