Guide 2: How to create a combined Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 DVD

Associate
As requested by a couple of people, this guide will show you how to create a single DVD containing Windows 7 (all x86 and x64 editions) and Windows Server 2008 R2 (all editions). This one is slightly more difficult than the first guide I posted, but if you follow the instructions you’ll have no problems.

What you need to know (upgrade vs clean install):

It's important to appreciate the functionality of the DVD, particularly in relation to installation.

If you're doing a clean install, then this DVD will work fine.

But if you're doing an upgrade, you will probably recieve the following message when setup runs the compatibility check:

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading.

• You can’t upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 64-bit version of the installation disc.

• 32-bit Windows cannot be upgraded to a 64-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 32-bit version of the Windows installation disc.

The reason for this is because we're going to use Windows 7 x86 as the base image and combine Windows 7 x64 and Server 2008 R2 x64 into this. For example, upgrading from Vista x86 to Windows 7 x86 should work fine using this DVD. But upgrading from Vista x64 to Windows 7 x64 will not work using this DVD because the base image is x86 (but a clean install of Windows 7 x64 from this DVD will work fine).

If upgrade functionality is important to you, then you should make 2 DVDs: DVD1 containing Windows 7 x86 and DVD2 containing Windows 7 x64 and Server 2008 R2 x64.

And lastly, the functionality of any operating system you install from this DVD will remain unaffected. Only installation methods are affected.

What you’ll need:

• Windows 7 x86 ISO, Windows 7 x64 ISO, Windows Server 2008 R2 ISO

• ImageX and Oscdimg. These are both part of the Windows Automated Installation Kit for Windows 7 (available from here). To save some bandwidth, you can download the ImageX tool directly from here or here.

If you use the direct download, you will also need to install wimfltr.sys, download from here or here (right click on wimfltr.inf then click install).

Instructions:

1. Create three folders in any location of your choice (I used the D: drive). Name each of them ‘x64’, ‘x86’ and ‘Server’ respectively.

2. Extract (or copy and paste the contents of) the Windows 7 (x86) ISO to the ‘x86’ folder using 7zip or WinRAR. Now extract or copy and paste the contents of the Windows 7 (x64) ISO to ‘x64’ folder. Finally, extract or copy and paste the contents of the Windows Server 2008 R2 ISO to the 'Server' folder.

3. Run command prompt with administrator privileges.

4. We’re going to use Windows 7 x86 as the base and merge everything into this. So, what we’re going to do now is:
  • extract all the editions from the Windows 7 x64 install.wim file and merge these into the Windows 7 x86 install.wim file; and then
  • extract all the editions from the Windows Server 2008 R2 install.wim and merge these into the Windows 7 x86 install.wim file.

But before that, some quick background info to help you understand the process. Inside any .wim file, there are "Image Index" numbers which refer to different editions (i.e. Home Basic has its own image index number, Home Premium has its own image index number etc.)

Using the following command, you can look up the Image Index numbers inside the Windows 7 x64 install.wim file:

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /info D:\x64\sources\install.wim
(adjust path locations as necessary)

For Windows 7 x64:

Image Index 1 = Home Basic
Image Index 2 = Home Premium
Image Index 3 = Professional
Image Index 4 = Ultimate

Another example:

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /info D:\Server\sources\install.wim
(adjust path locations as necessary)

For Windows Server 2008 R2:

Image Index 1 = Standard (Full Installation)
Image Index 2 = Standard (Core Installation)
Image Index 3 = Enterprise (Full Installation)
Image Index 4 = Enterprise (Core Installation)
Image Index 5 = Datacenter (Full Installation)
Image Index 6 = Datacenter (Core Installation)
Image Index 7 = Web Server (Full Installation)
Image Index 8 = Web Server (Core Installation)

First we’ll start by merging the Windows 7 x64 install.wim file into the Windows 7 x86 install.wim file. We need ImageX to do this.

The command is as follows:

"imagex.exe" /export "[Source install.wim file]" [Index Image number] "[Destination install.wim file]" "[Name of this edition]"

So, here are the commands that I used (you may need to adjust file paths):

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /export "D:\x64\sources\install.wim" 1 "D:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOMEBASIC x64"

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /export "D:\x64\sources\install.wim" 2 "D:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 HOMEPREMIUM x64"

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /export "D:\x64\sources\install.wim" 3 "D:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL x64"

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /export "D:\x64\sources\install.wim" 4 "D:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows 7 ULTIMATE x64"

Now we’re going to merge the Windows Server 2008 R2 install.wim file into the Windows 7 x86 install.wim file.

Here are the commands that I used (you may need to adjust file paths):

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /export "D:\Server\sources\install.wim" 1 "D:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERSTANDARD"

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /export "D:\Server\sources\install.wim" 2 "D:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERSTANDARDCORE"

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /export "D:\Server\sources\install.wim" 3 "D:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERENTERPRISE"

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /export "D:\Server\sources\install.wim" 4 "D:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERENTERPRISECORE"

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /export "D:\Server\sources\install.wim" 5 "D:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERDATACENTER"

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /export "D:\Server\sources\install.wim" 6 "D:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERDATACENTERCORE"

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /export "D:\Server\sources\install.wim" 7 "D:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERWEB"

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /export "D:\Server\sources\install.wim" 8 "D:\x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERWEBCORE"

5A. This is where it gets slightly more technical, so read and digest this step carefully. The purpose of this step is to copy the EULA files from the Windows Server 2008 R2 boot.wim file and then paste them into the Windows 7 x86 boot.wim file. Without doing this, you will not be able to install any of the Server products even though they are listed on the installation page.

To carry out this copy and paste task, we’re going to “Mount” both of the boot.wim files, copy and paste, and then “Unmount” the files. As before, we’ll be using ImageX to do this.

Before we start: if you downloaded ImageX directly, you will need to right click on the wimmount.inf file inside the amd64 or x86 folder and then click install and restart. If you installed WAIK, you don’t need to do this.

Firstly, create two new folders called ‘Mount_7’ and ‘Mount_Server’ in any location of your choice (again, I used the D:\ drive).
Now we will mount both the Windows Server 2008 R2 ‘boot.wim’ file and the Windows 7 x86 ‘boot.wim’ file.

Here’s a quick explanation of the mount command:

" imagex.exe" /mountrw "[Location of .wim image]" [Image Index Number] "[Destination folder where you would like .wim image to be mounted]"

So, here are the commands that I used to mount both of the boot.wim files (you may need to adjust file paths):

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /mountrw "D:\Server\sources\boot.wim" 2 "D:\Mount_Server"

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /mountrw "D:\x86\sources\boot.wim" 2 "D:\Mount_7"

We can now use Windows Explorer to copy and paste the files. To do this:
  • Open the ‘D:\Mount_Server\sources’ folder
  • Right click and copy the ‘Licence’ folder
  • Open the ‘D:\Mount_7\sources’ folder
  • Now paste (and click yes when prompted to merge with existing Licence folder).

Now that we have edited the x86 boot.wim file, we need to save it. This is done by using the “Unmount” command in ImageX.

Run this command (if you still have the Mount_7 folder opened in Windows Explorer, close it first otherwise you will get an Unmount error):

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /unmount /commit "D:\Mount_7"

Now run this command:

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" /unmount "D:\Mount_Server"

That’s it for this step! If you done this step correctly, the D:\x86\sources\boot.wim file should now be 139MB.

5B. The previous step copied the EULA files required when installing by booting from the DVD (hence boot.wim). But if you choose to run the installation within Windows, you will receive an error about images not found. To solve this, we need to copy the other EULA files that are used when installing within Windows.

• Open D:\Server\sources

• Right click on ‘licence’ folder and copy

• Open D:\x86\sources and paste

• Press yes to merge with existing folder. You will receive two further prompts asking whether you wish to merge. Press yes for both. You will then receive four prompts regarding lipeula.rtf and lpeula.rtf (‘there is already a file with the same name in this location’). I selected ‘Copy but keep both files’.

6. Now open D:\Server\sources and copy these files:

install_Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERDATACENTER.clg
install_Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERDATACENTERCORE.clg
install_Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERENTERPRISE.clg
install_Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERENTERPRISECORE.clg
install_Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERSTANDARD.clg
install_Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERSTANDARDCORE.clg
install_Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERWEB.clg
install_Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERWEBCORE.clg

Paste them in the D:\x86\sources folder.

Also delete the ei.cfg file from the D:\x86\sources folder.

7. All that’s left to do now is to make a new bootable ISO. We’ll use Oscdimg to do this.

MS have a good explanation of the switches here.

Here's the command you need:

"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\oscdimg.exe" -lGRMCULFRER_EN_DVD -m -u2 -o -h -bD:\x86\boot\etfsboot.com D:\x86\ D:\Windows7and2008R2AIO.iso

Basically translates as: oscdimg, [options], [Path to source], [Target file]

Using the above command, your new ISO will be saved to the D:\ drive with the name of Windows7and2008R2AIO.

8. Now you can test your ISO in VirtualBox/VMWare. If all goes well it should look like this:

30hl8vr.jpg

14e87df.jpg

9. Now for some housekeeping. If your ISO is working as expected, you can delete the following folders:

D:\x86
D:\x64
D:\Server
D:\Mount_7
D:\Mount_Server

The DVD should be 4.35GB if you merged all editions. You can now burn your ISO to DVD using, for example, ImgBurn. Alternatively, you can write the ISO to a USB drive by following any of the guides available through google.

Enjoy your new all-in-one DVD! :)

P.S. You can also merge Windows 7 Enterprise into the DVD by editing the ImageX commands as appropriate. File size will probably go above a single DVD though, unless you avoid merging Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 editions that you don’t need.

Last edited:
Associate
ok everyone be nice. this is my first time here. And I joined after I came across this wonderful guide. But I got to the mounting process and I'm having a problem. When I try to mount the boot.wim file it gets to 100%, pauses for a while, then I get the following message:

Error mounting image
The request is not supported

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Associate
OP
I'm presuming you didn't install WAIK.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766067(WS.10).aspx

To manipulate images on a computer that does not have the Windows OPK or the Windows AIK installed, you must copy ImageX.exe, Wimfltr.sys, and Wimfltr.inf to the new computer. You must then install the driver by right-clicking the Wimfltr.inf file and then clicking Install.

You will need to install wimfltr.sys, download from here or here.

Let me know if that fixes it.

Associate
OP
Is the file attribute for boot.wim set to read only? Are running command prompt as administrator? Is the file stored on a network or local hard drive?

Try this:

Go to C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\wimmount.inf then right click and install. Restart the computer and try again. Let me know if this works.

Associate
File attribute for boot.wim isn't set to read only. I'm running command prompt as administrator. Boot.wim is located on local D: drive.

Installed wimmount.inf, rebooted, tried again, and got the same message.

Sorry to be such a pain.

Associate
OP
Can't find anything else on google so don't know what the problem is. Never come across that before.

Try this

Delete the boot.wim files and copy them again. Delete the Mount_ folders and recreate them aswell (possibly with a different names and adjust commands as necessary)

Go to Start, All programs, Microsoft Windows AIK, Deployment Tools Command Prompt (run as admin).

Then try these commands (change folder names as necessary)

imagex /mountrw D:\Server\sources\boot.wim 2 D:\Mount_Server

imagex /mountrw D:\x86\sources\boot.wim 2 D:\Mount_7

Last edited:
Associate
I deleted the boot.wim files and copied them again. I deleted the Mount_ folders and recreated them with different names. But I still get the same message. See attached image.

28957315.png

EDIT: I finally got it to work!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I deleted the boot.wim files and copied them again. I deleted the Mount_ folders and recreated them with different names. But I still get the same message. See attached image.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6759/28957315.png[IMG]

EDIT: I finally got it to work![/QUOTE]

Excellent, mind sharing how you fixed it?

Associate
Excellent, mind sharing how you fixed it?

I did a clean install because I wanted to install Windows 7 Enterprise vs. Ultimate. After that it worked fine. Now I need to find out something else.

I created two AIOs. One that included Windows 7 Enterprise and one without. The one without worked fine. The one with Enterprise, when I tried to install Server 2008 R2, it said it couldn't find the image for installation or something similar to that.

So I don't know if theres something that needs to be done different or what?

Thanks for all your help Explicit, and any help you can provide on my current problem would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I did a clean install because I wanted to install Windows 7 Enterprise vs. Ultimate. After that it worked fine. Now I need to find out something else.

I created to AIOs. One that included Windows 7 Enterprise and one without. The one without worked fine. The one with Enterprise, when I tried to install Server 2008 R2, it said it couldn't find the image for installation or something similar to that.

So I don't know if theres something that needs to be done different or what?

Thanks for all your help Explicit, and any help you can provide on my current problem would be greatly appreciated.

No problem :)

I haven't integrated Enterprise so I'm not entirely sure what you did wrong.

Did you copy the Server R2 'Licence' folder into the Windows 7 x86 boot.wim file? You might need to copy the Enterprise 'Licence' folder too. That error normally occurs if you don't copy the appropriate 'Licence' folder into the Windows 7 x86 boot.wim file.

Also make sure you use the /commit command when unmounting "Mount_7" folder otherwise changes to the boot.wim file will not be saved.

Basically, double check step 5.

Nice guide. So really this superceeds guide 1 if you want a DVD with 7x86/x64 and Server R2 on there?

Doesn't really supersede it, just takes it one step further. :)

Guide 1 = Windows 7 (x86 + x64)
Guide 2 = Windows 7 (x86 + x64) & Windows Server 2008 R2 (all editions)

Hi, how do you get 7zip to extract to the folder? I just end up with two files, a Boot folder and a readme file

Right click on the ISO > 7zip > Extract files > Select folder > OK

Are you using the latest version? If that doesn't work, just mount the ISO (VirtualCloneDrive is what I use) then copy and paste.

Back
Top Bottom