High Water Temperatures + High CPU/GPU Temp after heavy gaming?

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies guys this is some really good information and opinions :)

I hadn't thought of the flow issue! - I figured my D5 was as powerful as a beast!... but I am putting it up against some pretty heavy opposition, so I'm going to have to think about that a bit.

I guess this is why you put in a flow meter,.. so you can diagnose flow problems.. *grumble grumble*

My PSU is on order now, and I've asked for a saturday delivery so -hopefully- I will be doing the work to the machine this weekend.

I am planning to set my top rad to exhaust, I also had the idea of 'what if' I set the front most fan on my top rad to intake, and the middle and rear fan to exhaust? - This would give me 3 fans in, and 3 fans out... is it worth it? just an idea.

I have the same case but only 1 gpu and no motherboard block.
1 x 360 rad top
1 x 280 rad front
3 X 140 intake front...

Tucci - do you have your very top front intake fan filtered?

This case only comes with a filter for the bottom 2 fans, and just plain plastic covers for the top fan (which is usually meant to be 2x5.25 bays) - how have you gone about filtering your top fan?

Thanks,
Draz.

Associate
I am planning to set my top rad to exhaust, I also had the idea of 'what if' I set the front most fan on my top rad to intake, and the middle and rear fan to exhaust? - This would give me 3 fans in, and 3 fans out... is it worth it? just an idea.

While I haven't seen any testing on this, it does not appear to be a very efficient method of doing things as the one fan turned around will be using the hot air exhausted (or taken in) from the other two fans. I've never seen a system use this configuration. It doesn't make sense to me.

You really don't have to worry about negative pressure. Many in fact say that negative pressure can improve performance, which is more important. Cleaning a PC takes about five minutes once every couple of months. Take your PC outside on a dry day, take a cheap can of compressed air and spray air around the components delicately, all while hoovering the dust that begins to circulate inside the PC. That's it. Five minutes of work every 2-3 months. If you can water cool then you can do that. ;)

Associate
I bought a 140mm dust filter off eBay for a couple of quid and fitted that. It's not perfect, there's still a small gap around the sides and top but it covers the majority.

Associate
Dust filters kill airflow. Don't use them

:D
Sure, it does diminish airflow.
I just set the top fan to a higher rpm. In my case its not an issue its just moving a little extra air over the top. Rather that than pumping a load of dust into the system.

Associate
OP
While I haven't seen any testing on this, it does not appear to be a very efficient method of doing things as the one fan turned around will be using the hot air exhausted (or taken in) from the other two fans. I've never seen a system use this configuration. It doesn't make sense to me.

Agreed, I decided against this as I realised it would just be sucking in the hot air that the fan next to it was pumping out.

Associate
OP
Okay! - I've made the changes, and I even went a little overboard and decided to de-lid my CPU and shove some liquid metal pro onto the die.

all and all I'm pretty happy with the results ;) my water temps are staying low, and my CPU temps are now 10c lower at idle, and up to 20c lower during gaming/benchmarking!

Here's a couple of pictures:

drazek-pc-top-fan-switch.jpg

I switched the top fans back around to exhaust, this leaves my case with only 2 fans pumping air into the case through the front radiator. - I wasn't able to put a 3rd front fan in as my rad has been pushed upwards a little, making the fan hole too small for a 140mm fan... perhaps a 120mm fan would fit though, i'll test that out later.

so my case is now configured with 2x intake and 4x exhaust + PSU. - this won't make any differences in cooling performance, but I hope it doesn't start to get too dusty inside >.< (yes... I clean the case when it's needed.)

drazek-pc-cpu-delid.jpg

And here's the after picture of my scary experience with de-lidding my CPU!
Luckily the de-lid went rather smoothly, once I managed to get the blade into the corners it's just a case of rocking it back and forth to cut the seal and wedge the blade in there a little... then I took out a hammer and bashed the s*!t out of it! - no, more seriously, I did use a hammer though... some light taps when the blade was refusing to cut in, the hammer tapping method made it really easy to cut in without pushing too hard or slipping actually.

Oh 1 more thing (why do I keep forgetting to take pictures of this!?) - my CPU Water block had some gunk inside it AGAIN! - this is the 3rd time I've cleaned my CPU block now, and the 3rd time I've noticed a layer of gunk blocking the intake side of the CPU block... though admittedly this time there was a lot less gunk than there was the time before and the time before that.

I didn't take any pictures of it because i'm a knumbskull, but I took the time to clean out my CPU block and i even gave my top radiator a proper flush since I had it out to swap the fans over, (I've already flushed the front rad.)

I'm 100% sure that the gunk found in the CPU block was causing some water flow issues and was definitely contributing to my high CPU temp issues.

I'll grab some benchmark temperature screenshots and update this post, but basically I now get the following temps:

Idle:
CPU: 25-28c
GPU1: 25-30c
GPU2: 25-30c

Gaming:
CPU: 45-60c
GPU1: 45-55c
GPU2: 45-55c

The CPU temperatures are also very stable now, no crazy spiking up to 75-80c anymore!

So thanks all for the great replies, I'll consider this case closed. :)

Back
Top Bottom