Advice on Sky, Sky Go...

Associate
I subscribed to Sky for F1 and the ability to use Sky Go when I'm not at home.

They have a ridiculous 2 device limit and 1 change of device limit per month.

I had to format my computer and I had previously set up a notebook and when I came to set up my computer I hit the "could not register device" error.

I phone up Sky and they tell me that I can only change a device once per month, even though it is the exact same PC I had set up previously but had to format.

I tell them this information and they wouldn't listen they just kept re-iterating that I'm only allowed to make 1 change per month. I asked to be put through to cancellations and I was told they won't even speak to me because I'm under minimum contract.

I told them I'm not prepared to put up with the service and that I would be more than happy to pay the rest of the contract and I was put on hold for 15 mins and they came back and still told me that they won't speak to me.

Now I can't use Sky Go, I know it resets at the start of the month but as soon as I register one device that means I've made my one change for the month and I won't be able to register any other devices even though there will be one free slot.

Are Sky in breach of contract by not allowing me to access Sky Go?

Soldato
Why do people immediately jump to 'breaches of contract' etc :(

But anyway, doubt it. Sky Go is a free service they're offering, you don't pay extra to use it so I doubt there's anything you can do. If they just decide to pull sky go for any reason I don't think you could do anything so this hardly seems like something you can do anything about.

End of the month is only 4 days away, can't you just live without it til then?

Associate
OP
Why do people immediately jump to 'breaches of contract' etc :(

But anyway, doubt it. Sky Go is a free service they're offering, you don't pay extra to use it so I doubt there's anything you can do. If they just decide to pull sky go for any reason I don't think you could do anything so this hardly seems like something you can do anything about.

End of the month is only 4 days away, can't you just live without it til then?
Sky Go is not a free service, if you don't have a Sky subsciption then you have to buy a 'monthly ticket', Sky choose to include it with your package.

End of the month is 4 days away, but once I register one device then I won't be able to register another till the 1st of August, that is pretty ******* ridiculous. Then if my PC ever messes up I can't even watch Go till my devices reset the following month?

Last edited:
Soldato
Now I can't use Sky Go, I know it resets at the start of the month but as soon as I register one device that means I've made my one change for the month and I won't be able to register any other devices even though there will be one free slot.

Why would this happen?

If there is a free slot, you will be able to add something to it. The limit only occurs when you change devices. If you change one, but still have a free slot, then you can change the device (thus using your change for the month) and also add another device since the slot is free.

Soldato
Why would this happen?

If there is a free slot, you will be able to add something to it. The limit only occurs when you change devices. If you change one, but still have a free slot, then you can change the device (thus using your change for the month) and also add another device since the slot is free.

this. it is only 1 change of device a month, not addition.

Associate
Sky Go is not a free service, if you don't have a Sky subsciption then you have to buy a 'monthly ticket', Sky choose to include it with your package.

End of the month is 4 days away, but once I register one device then I won't be able to register another till the 1st of August, that is pretty ******* ridiculous.

It is a free service, you get it if you subscribe to one of the tv packs.

Why would they do it free with no subs ?
;)

Associate
OP
Adding or removing a device counts as one change, Sky Customer Services confirms as such. So if i add my device at the start of the month that is my one change for the month.
It is a free service, you get it if you subscribe to one of the tv packs.

Why would they do it free with no subs ?
;)
It's not a free service if you have to pay for it otherwise. I get it as part of my subscription package that I pay for.

Soldato

It is a free service though for a Sky Subscriber.
It's an additional service you are given at no extra cost and its not written into your contract either. If your Sky Box fails or your Satellite Reception, Channels you pay for mess up etc... then you have a genuine issue which Sky are duty bound to resolve. Sky Go however is not part of that.

End of the month is 4 days away, but once I register one device then I won't be able to register another till the 1st of August, that is pretty ******* ridiculous. Then if my PC ever messes up I can't even watch Go till my devices reset the following month?

Does your PC really mess up that much though?
Most people probably don't have to reformat computers once a month.

The reason they have to enforce this limit is to stop people abusing it.
I know of at least two people who don't have Sky in their house, but use somebody else's account to watch it on their Xbox or iPhone.

What is your second device registered as?
I still don't think you answered that.

Soldato
Adding or removing a device counts as one change, Sky Customer Services confirms as such. So if i add my device at the start of the month that is my one change for the month.

Can't see that mentioned anywhere in the FAQ. All I see is:

"Once you have registered two devices you’ll be able to make one change to your registered devices each calendar month; this means you can remove one of your devices and add a new one in its place."

Which to me suggests that adding one in a free slot doesn't count since it isn't mentioned.

Associate

It's not a free service if you have to pay for it otherwise.

your bundle ain't cheaper if you don't use it, nobody would pay if it was all free online would they.

So it is free if you pay for any tv bundle.

Associate
OP
I had this problem last month, at the start of the month all my devices were reset and no devices were registered, I then registered my computer and it wouldnt let me register any other device even though there was an open slot.

Soldato
I had this problem last month, at the start of the month all my devices were reset and no devices were registered, I then registered my computer and it wouldnt let me register any other device even though there was an open slot.

Think I understand. Initially everyone is able to add 2 devices at the one time (or anytime within a month for example), after that any changes made, like removing and then adding count as your 1 change for the month, even if both slots are "empty". The slots aren't really empty after the initial registration, they are registered, but "blank", hence why you can't do both at the same time.

Its just the way it works, so there isn't a lot you can do about it. Just register the device you are going to watch more frequently and then wait.

Associate
OP
really?!? you would leave sky because of this. do virgin or any other company offer the same service without these issues?
Yup, I only got Sky for F1 and the ability to watch it on other devices, I can use iPlayer for free for the 10 races that BBC cover live.

Im not paying for something I cant use because of some ridiculous "but they give it to you for free so they can do what they want" ********.
I take it they got rid of the "add an second account email and register new devices under the new email" loophole that people were using?
Yeah they closed that loophole months ago.

Back
Top Bottom