Aqua Computer Aquaero Owners thread

Associate
Well as most over forums/shops have one I thought perhaps it would be a good idea to have one here, where we can share advice, Tips and tricks.

So what is an Aquaero ?

The Aquaero is an absolutely autonomous working microprocessor-controlled device with USB 2.0 interface. All speed parameters and sensor values can be set and visualized in an user-friendly menu or through an even easier to use PC-software. Additionally, the graphic LC display can be used to display almost any information using the popular LCD software LCDHype

There are several different ones you can buy.

The 6 series(The latest ones)

Aqua Computer Aquaero 6 XT USB Fan Controller

aquaero_6_front.jpg

This one is the very latest and the king.
Link to buy

The key features of the aquaero 6 include:
· Programmable four channel fan controller
· Graphic LC display with backlight
· USB 2.0 and aquabus interface
· Four fan outputs with up to 30 Watt of power per channel
· All fan outputs with 4-Pin plug, switchable between coltage and PWM control
· Versatile control options
· Eight temperature sensor inputs
· Flow sensor input
· Universal IR receiver
· Output for IR transmitter
· Three LED outputs
· Potential-free switch
· Two additional power outputs
· Extensive alarm options
· Acoustical alarm
· Speed signal output for status evaluation
· Expandable to a maximum of 12 fan channels

Aqua Computer Aquaero 6 Pro USB Fan Controller

53145.jpg

This is basically the same as the above but does not contain the infrared remote, and also does not have the touchscreen features as the xt.
Link to buy

This comes with a display(non touch) and no remote

The key features of the aquaero 6 include:
· Graphic LC display with backlight
· Four fan outputs with up to 30 Watt of power per channel
· All fan outputs with 4-Pin plug, switchable between voltage and PWM control
· Flow sensor input
· Universal IR receiver
· Three LED outputs
· Potential-free switch
· Acoustical alarm
· Expandable to a maximum of 12 fan channels

The 5 series(Older series but still available)

Aqua Computer Aquaero 5 XT LCD Fan-Controller
Link to buy

aquaero_xt.jpg

This is the king of the 5 series and comes with the infrared remote and also comes with a touchscreen,

The key features of the aquaero 5 include:
· Graphic LC display with backlight (except LT)
· Four fan outputs with current measurement
· Flow sensor input
· Universal IR receiver (except LT)
· Three LED outputs
· Potential-free switch
· Acoustical alarm
· Expandable to a maximum of 10 fan channels

Aqua Computer Aquaero 5 PRO LCD Fan-Controller
Link to buy

ae5_pro_edelstahl.jpg

This version contains a display at the front of the device, but does not contain the touch screen element nor the infrared remote.

· Graphic LC display with backlight (except LT)
· Flow sensor input
· Universal IR receiver (except LT)
· Three LED outputs
· Potential-free switch
· Acoustical alarm

Aqua Computer Aquaero 5 LT USB Fan-Controller

This is the most popular model (as it is the cheapest) but does not contain a front display screen on the front of the unit.
Link to buy

ae5_lt.jpg

· Flow sensor input
· Three LED outputs
· Potential-free switch
· Acoustical alarm

The differences between the 5 and 6 series(Taken from the main aquaero site)

The new aquaero 6 is an improved version of the aquaero 5. Our main target was a dramatic increase of the available power on the outputs. Other than the aquaero 5 which works with an analog voltage control, this time we used very efficient switching controllers of the latest generation. The performance capability of the aquaero 5 is mainly limited by the temperature of the voltage regulators since they become pretty hot when you attach some stuff and use it with lower voltages. The aquaero 6 has no problems in this area and the maximum power is only limited by the current which means you can go to the limits without worrying about the temperatures. To make this possible we had to redesign everything around the voltage regulators with a special attention to the thermal design. This time we placed more than 250 elements on the PCB without changing its size. For the first time we use a multi-layer PCB for the aquaero

The maximum current per channel is 2,5A (30W at 12V) without any special cooling. The aquaero 6 does not even have a passive heatsink! Anyway, we will also offer a waterblock for the aquaero 6 since it will allow to go a bit further with a maximum of 3A (36W at 12V). Of course the voltage regulators also handle short peaks above this rating to make sure that fans and pumps will spin up. The new controllers also feature some new directly integrated security features. For example they can switch of a channel in less than 1/100000s if you have a short circuit. Also the temperature, current and voltage monitoring has been improved. The 5V supply which for example powers the CPU or display got a new protection circuit which will disconnect the power supply if there is an overvoltage. Another nice thing to mention is the pretty low voltage drop with that new design which is only 0,5 to 0,8V between the power supply and the outputs.
The available power should be no longer a question and to take full advantage of it all channels are 4-pin PWM compatible now. PWM fans can be also stopped by cutting their voltage supply. Normally a PWM fan will always run at a specific minimum speed if there is no or a too low PWM frequency signal.

The onboard memory of the aquaero 6 has become larger and offers four time more space for log data or whatever the future brings.

All these new features have their price... we understand that not everyone needs that massive amount of power so the aquaero 5 series will stay in our assortment of goods. That means the aquaero 6 will not replace the aquaero 5 - it will extend its possibilities.

Associate
Good thread, definitely support having one for each forum seeing how much this little thing is capable of. I have an AQ6 XT with a ton of their accessories for it.

Soldato
Had my Aquaero 5 Pro for some time now and does a great job.

Controls 7 fans and my AQ D5 pump (as well as temp sensors on my rads) and AQ flow meter. Keeps things really quiet at idle and winds up slightly when under load (gaming).

Plus it looks cool!

Only downside I would say is you have to buy the black bezel separately, should be standard. Does anyone have a silver cases anymore?

Good software support too.

:)

Last edited:
Associate
Had my Aquaero 5 Pro for some time now and does a great job.

Controls 7 fans and my AQ D5 pump (as well as temp sensors on my rads). Keeps things really quiet at idle and winds up slightly when under load (gaming).

Plus it looks cool!

Only downside I would say is you have to buy the black bezel separately, should be standard. Does anyone have a silver cases anymore?

Good software support too.

:)

I hear you on that, it took me 3 months to source the black facia plate after getting the aquaero 5 xt, great piece of kit. I downloadd the new 2014 aquasuite, but cba to install as the one I have does everything i need it to.

Associate
OP
Well I have mine still sitting here in a box lol. the only parts im waiting for now is tubing and temp sensors. then il be doing my build. and yes not having a black front panel is a pain in the ass. I suppose its what called a upsell. lol they should give the customer the choice either black or silver.

Associate
5 LT owner here...just finishing my build, so no experience of using the device and software yet.

I plan to run:
4x Rad Fans on the PWM socket.
2x Fans on the others.
2 inline sensors on the Rad in & out.
2 air temp sensors on air in & out.
RGB LED to give a quick display of water temp.
1 LED strip via a PWM relays, so I can adjust the brightness.
Aquastream pump.

I think I know what I'm doing...but I guess I'll find out once the loops filled! :)

Don
I've got a 6, with a black face plate and black heatsink. Took a bit of working out, but now have my radiator fans using PID control maintaining a delta T of 4 degC between air intake temperature and water temperature. Also have power measurement setup using flowrate and water temperatures which seems surprisingly accurate.

Soldato
I've got a 6, with a black face plate and black heatsink. Took a bit of working out, but now have my radiator fans using PID control maintaining a delta T of 4 degC between air intake temperature and water temperature. Also have power measurement setup using flowrate and water temperatures which seems surprisingly accurate.

What's PID control?

I'm intrigued how you have yours setup. With mine I just use the water temp, as it gets warmer the fans and pump gradually speed up to keep up with the load.

Dunno if this is the best way but it works for me.

Last edited:
Associate
I have ordered a load of aqua computer stuff couple days ago for my new build I'm doing. Thought I would go all out so got with the monitoring. Anyone used the aquaero D5 USB pump before as I got one so could control pump speed through the 5 LT and want to know if anyone has had problems with it?

Back
Top Bottom