Those with custom loops what coolant do you use and why?

Associate
Hi guys,

Those with custom loops what coolant do you use and why?

Can you also state the metals in your loop too please and what maintenance is involved in how often it needs changing and if any gunk or residue is left behind.

I'm having trouble deciding what to use for my new loop :)

Soldato
I used to use Aurora 2 Silver in main build, looked awsome, but faded after 4-5 months (expected) but now just changed to distilled water, though is some traces of Aurora swirls. Not had any issues, but clean it every year. Metals is copper plated nickle (blocks), copper pipes in radiator and the tubing is Alphacools brass plated chrome stuff, no issues with gunk and whatnot.

HTPC build uses Mayhems white pastel in a 1/3 ratio with Distilled water and no issues a year on. Blocks and radiator similar to above, but tubing is Acrylic.

Soldato
Halfords distilled water along with about 10-12 drops of Mayhems blood red dye.
System is 12 months old & fluid has been changed once when I stripped it down to make a small tubing change.

Associate
OP
I used to use Aurora 2 Silver in main build, looked awsome, but faded after 4-5 months (expected) but now just changed to distilled water, though is some traces of Aurora swirls. Not had any issues, but clean it every year. Metals is copper plated nickle (blocks), copper pipes in radiator and the tubing is Alphacools brass plated chrome stuff, no issues with gunk and whatnot.

HTPC build uses Mayhems white pastel in a 1/3 ratio with Distilled water and no issues a year on. Blocks and radiator similar to above, but tubing is Acrylic.

Is that straight distilled water or have you added anything to it?

Was tempted by the pastel white but herd the pastels gunk stuff up and leave a mess after.

Last edited:
Associate
I use distilled water and EK Ekoolant EVO Clear Concentrate. My whole loop is all EK Copper Blocks and Radiators. I use Primochill - Primoflex Advanced LRT Soft Tubing.

My water stays clear as and all my blocks are clean as well. I have no gunk, no residue, and my clear tubing remains clear and clean too.

Every 12 months for the purpose of putting in fresh EK EKoolant,and fresh distilled water, I drain my loop and open up all my blocks and give them a light clean in distilled water. I also put all new tubing as well.

I could go longer than 12 months if I wanted to, but I like to renew everything at the 12 month mark. I have always done it this way and have never had any problems whatsoever.

But even at the 12 month mark, everything still looks clear and clean.

EK EKoolant Clear Concentrate is all I use, as it has everything required to keep your loop water healthy.

Associate
OP
I use distilled water and EK Ekoolant EVO Clear Concentrate. My whole loop is all EK Copper Blocks and Radiators. I use Primochill - Primoflex Advanced LRT Soft Tubing.

My water stays clear as and all my blocks are clean as well. I have no gunk, no residue, and my clear tubing remains clear and clean too.

Every 12 months for the purpose of putting in fresh EK EKoolant,and fresh distilled water, I drain my loop and open up all my blocks and give them a light clean in distilled water. I also put all new tubing as well.

I could go longer than 12 months if I wanted to, but I like to renew everything at the 12 month mark. I have always done it this way and have never had any problems whatsoever.

But even at the 12 month mark, everything still looks clear and clean.

EK EKoolant Clear Concentrate is all I use, as it has everything required to keep your loop water healthy.

That sounds good, what does it look light when lit up with case lighting?

Soldato
Is that straight distilled water or have you added anything to it?

Was tempted by the pastel white bur herd the pastels gunk stuff up and leave a mess after.

Straight distilled though as I say it looks to have trace elements of Aurora in which apparently has a biocide in it.

Not had any issues with pastel gunking up or leaving a mess thus far and that's a year in. All blocks are plexiglass so can see the channels and they look fine and temps are great.

Soldato
Never had any gunk with over a year of mayhems pastel white. Same with EK ekoolant yellow (made by mayhems as well). I buy the concentrate and mix it woth halfords battery top up water. Loop has brass, copper and nickel and uses primochill advanced lrt.

Associate
OP
Seams like mayhem's is the way to go then. Was just put off from Jayztwocents utube vids etc.

Do you guys flush out your rads before installing for the first time? If so what with? Do I need to do any other prep on a new loop?

Back
Top Bottom