Custom Spec OcUK build

Soldato
Hi all,

Just want to share my experience for anyone who is interested in getting a PC built for them, but don't have the time (or perhaps experience) to actually do it. For me, I'm the former, due to my demanding job and the fact I've just moved to another town and left most of my tools back in Hull!

Anyway, I asked, as many do, on this very forum for help with my spec. Stullid as usual came to the rescue along with a very helpful lee32uk, plus numerous others.

With a draft spec sat in my basket, I went to the customer service forum to pester 5UB and get some information on what would be my second custom PC thats over £2000 (all bought from ocuk!), but this time I wanted them to build it for me. Andrew moore popped by and informed me that I'd be best off going x79 due to recent gaming benchmarks (crysis 3 loves more than a quad core cpu) and after doing some reading about it, I also agreed, so I changed from a i7 3770k to an i7 3930k instead. Sure, that raised by spend by £200, but it was still under my top budget so the mrs won't kill me :D

5UB yet again changed my spec for me and ensured that even when I changed my PSU the night before, it was still no problem and the build got underway.

I paid for my system on thursday morning first thing and the system was built by lunchtime. Today its been over clocked and I'm still eagerly waiting what they manage to do with it and it will all be delivered tomorrow!

Since paying for it, I also added some new speakers and an xbox pad for games such as just cause 2, which I'll play on my 40inch tv instead of my monitor (as its about 8 foot away from my PC desk in my apartment, so easy getting a HDMI cable to it :D)

So the final spec is as follows!

i7 3930K cpu
Gigabyte X79-UP4 motherboard
Kingston HyperX Beast 16gb 2400mhz RAM
Gigabyte Geforce Titan
Seasonic X1250 watt gold plus PSU
Corsair H100 + 2x corsair quiet fans (courtesy of 5UB on the later!)
Samsung 128gb 840 PRO sad
Seagate 2tb 7200RPM 64mb cache HDD
BenQ X2411T 120hz gaming monitor
Cherry G80-3000 mechanical keyboard (blue switches)
Edifier 1900TII 2.0 speakers
Windows 8 64bit
Xbox pad
Free OcUK mousemat and mug :D
Free games :D

Some pictures that 5UB provided for me this morning of the build sat at OcUK HQ:

New Gaming PC by jjohnson2012, on Flickr

Great cable tidying! Far better than I usually manage...

I cannot fault the level of customer service and personalised service I'd received from OcUK and it FAR outshines their competition in this regard. This just proves how good and useful a forum really is for this sort of business, as I got opinions from different people outside of the shop and inside it all in the same place, then got exactly what I wanted and more, all in a 2 day turn around.

Thanks again to all involved and I look forward to receiving it tomorrow :D

Caporegime
Beautiful build in my favourite case! But for the love of god, someone straighten that block! :D
And one of those SATA cables doesn't appear to be pressed in fully :p
Also, why not move the drives to the lower HDD cage, and remove the upper one to increase the airflow to that beast of a GPU? ;)

My dream PC is almost the same as this :) Cept mine would have an Antec 1220 Series 4, More RAM, More HDD space, and a smaller PSU. :o

And braided cables and silly customisable lights! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Need a PSU like that due to going SLI when the funds allow and an overclocked 3930k can really pull some wattage! I spent ages looking at cases and the mrs wanted me to get the bright pink NZXT case (her favourite colour), so I told her that if she ever wants to start gaming, we'll get her a pink PC. She's taking my laptop instead though! (macbook air)

Soldato
OP
Amazing... wanna swap my 680s for your Titan? ;)

Nice work OCUK. Cabling is mint

No thanks :D I'll be getting another IF I need one. To be fair though, a single titan runs BF3 (which is what I'd play the most) on the ultra preset at over 110 fps at this res, so a second one would be a tad overkill for that lol. Might have to see what the Unreal 4 engine based games bring!

Soldato
OP
Due to an issue with the motherboard that could have delayed my build and subsequently the delivery, OcUK pulled out all the stops and sorted me out the Asus Rampage IV Formula board instead! The board was put into the machine and it booted fine so it was dispatched to me for delivery tomorrow! (cant wait)

I'm overclocking this myself due to the time constraints that would have pushed my delivery back an entire week due to me not being able to take time off work during the week to accept delivery and the mrs being down in london for the same period of time. I also couldn't get it delivered to work due to the NHS lab policy forbidding personal deliveries being made to work :(

5UB was honest and to the point as soon as they realised there was an issue with the build and it was rectified extremely quickly. I have to yet again commend the professionalism and drive that he and others (8pack also taking his work machine apart to test it wasn't the CPU or ram! Top bloke) have shown to provide me the best buying experience possible. :)

Soldato
OP
Whilst I wait for my base unit to turn up (as its on a different delivery van), I've setup the rest of the gear on my new desk so thought I'd share some photos again :)

ocuk mug with free haribo by jjohnson2012, on Flickr

Sugar!

logitech g500 mouse on ocuk mouse mat by jjohnson2012, on Flickr

New mouse on the massive OcUK mouse mate, which has a brilliant soft surface that the mouse really does glide over nicely

new setup by jjohnson2012, on Flickr

The BenQ 2411T against the rather large edifier 1900TII speakers. The speakers are soooo heavy lol. Monitor feels light as a feather in comparison!

cherry mechanical keyboard by jjohnson2012, on Flickr

Lovely cherry mechanical keyboard. Like how simple the design is as it reminds me of IBM keyboards of yester-year!

More to follow

Soldato
OP

Desk is from Ikea and is the following for easy searching:

FREDRIK
Desk, black-brown, silver-colour
Width: 139 cm
Depth: 72 cm
Height: 74 cm
Article Number : 801.159.88

Took me about 15 minutes to make on my own, so was pleased with that lol. I wanted a desk that isn't too shallow in depth but then also not stupidly wide or have a glass top that adds unnecessary weight/shows marks!

Back
Top Bottom