Save my sanity! Please! Vax Rapide Ultra 2 vs. Rapide Ultimate

NVP

NVP

Soldato
This is driving me nuts! I've been trying all day to figure out which is the better model to get, but the Vax website isn't very informative and a heavy weekend of BBQ and brandy has left my google-fu severely dehydrated and slightly regretful.

The choices...

The Vax Rapide Ultra 2

0HoZB8z.jpg

Or the Vax Rapide Ultimate

rywHo5j.jpg

Now from what I can tell they all have exactly the same features but I think the Ultimate is newer than the Ultra, however the model numbers (Ultimate: W87, Ultra 2: W90 [although W87 on some sites]) suggest otherwise. I've had no luck trying to confirm this though, the Vax website is cack, I can't find a manufacture date anywhere.

There are many reviews for the Ultra 2, all pretty much raving, but just a bunch for the Ultimate and no direct comparisons anywhere.

Price wise the Ultimate is cheaper than the Ultra 2, and by quite a bit on some sites, which isn't generally the case for an improved model. And it does look a bit more delicate than the Ultra 2, but that could just be me... Is it a newer better, more refined version?! Or is it a similar, but essentially poorer product made cheaper for the masses?!

Somebody please help me! :(

Permabanned
I'm not convinced by either, mainly because neither actually heats the water.

Carpets are no different from clothes as both are some variation of fabric, and I know my washing machine makes a better job of cleaning if I let it heat the water first.

Same with the RugDoctor ones, use hot water instead of cold and it does a better job.
(not sure if they actually like you doing this though)

Bissel makes a few heated versions if that helps.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Thanks Nightglow, I thought it was pretty new.

Yeah I understand bitslice, both Vaxs say use warm water and the customer reviews say they come up sparkling. But some Bissells heat the warm water an extra 25° to aid the cleaning, and their 2x has two rotating brushes to the normal one which looks appealing.

The thing is, I trust Vax. I know that's a silly thing but I'd rather go with a brand I know. On the vacuum forums there was a thread about Bissells saying they are good but require regular maintenence if not treated well... But I'm pretty sure they'll be similar said about Vax and others on the Web too. So, ermm...

Also, my carpets are only just 8 months old so they're not in a bad state at all and I'm pretty confident going by the reviews they'll come up nice - there are a lot of house warming and bbq stains to deal with, but it should be a minor. I just want to stay on top of them from the go.

Still not convinced by this Ultimate though, the Ultra 2 looks like the daddy. Going to check them both out tomorrow in the plastic.

Permabanned
Personally I'd wait for the Vax Rapide Ultra Ultimate Turbo Awesome Aroma Deluxe Professional 2010 myself, it should be out next week (the marketing department are just waiting for the new badges to stick onto the old model) ;)

Bissell's 8910E was Which's best buy (...if you believe in their testing methods)
Although a heater and more bristles would sell it to me tbh.

Vax gets panned for their hoovers now, it's all Miele and Dyson, so they are not the brand they once were.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Ok, I've seen both and the Ultra 2 does seem better built. However, I'm now straying towards Bissell again due to the fact that the Vax didn't look NVP proof... I'll report back after checking a few out. Going to see if I can find a Bissell clearview deep clean somewhere local.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Update :)

I went against myself and decided on a Bissell, and can I say I am so happy I did! No faff, so easy to use, empty, refill, top-up etc.

Size/compactness wise is only takes up a fraction more room than my dyson due to the way the back leans forward over the base when upright.

DSC04049.jpg

Cleaning wise, you can sort of see the dirty carpet I had to clean in the above picture. This was trampled in BBQ ash, marinades/sauces, BBQ grease & general outdoor muck. (I'd had a party and with everyone being quite drunk we all completely forgot about my nice new cream carpets :()

Anyway, the day after I had tried various products - Vanish foam, Stain target sprays etc. all with various cleaning methods - fine brushes, soaking, pure and simple elbow grease. Below was the result, much better but still pretty damn horrible:

DSC04063.jpg

DSC04065.jpg

DSC04066.jpg

I decided to buy the Bissell Cleanview Deep Clean Carpet Cleaner which, after reviewing, seemed the most ideal - mainly because it had 12 rows of deep cleaning brushes which was much more than the rest, but also the fact it has a built in heater for the water, and the the Bissell solutions come with Scotch Guard. Hands down the winner.

DSC04052.jpg

It also came with an epic hand tool attachment called the Turbo Brush which has a rotary brush inside the hand tool as opposed to the static brushes on normal machines - although this did come with a static brush attachment as well.

DSC04055.jpg

This brush is absolutely amazing for stairs and curtains! It does all the work for you.

The Bissell itself is so easy to use, two simple switches will control everything:

DSC04057.jpg

The above switch basically controls how much solutions is mixed with the water - this also means the user is not required to pre-measure and mix the solution before use and each time they have to refill.

The below is pretty self explanatory :D

DSC04056.jpg

It also has this 'sniper shot' style trigger applicator which will fire a stream of pure solution onto a tough stain - however I didn't notice this to be effective on my stains.

DSC04054.jpg

Usage wise, you simply fill up the back container with solution

DSC04059.jpg

Fill up the water bladder with hand hot water, then you're good to go.

The water container with the Bissell is amazing, it is one of the reasons I am so glad I bought the Bissell over a Vax. It is so easy to lift off and fill up.

You simply grab the handle and pick it up... job done!

DSC04060.jpg

DSC04061.jpg

Then it has an easy clip on the back which removes the lid allowing you to fill it up through the fill hole - it has a separate empty hole to pour the dirty water out as the Bissell keeps the clean and dirty water separate (clean stays in a water bladder, the dirty fills up the plastic tank.

DSC04062.jpg

To clean the carpet you simply hold the trigger on your forward pass (this applies the water/solution to the carpet while brushing) then release the trigger on the pull back (which stops the water, but keeps the suction and brush rotating).

Depending on the type of stain you will have to do a certain number of passes, as it's not really any different to washing clothes.

The results were absolutely amazing, it was like a brand new carpet :) perfectly clean, but surprisingly regenerated (as in not matted down from foot traffic) back to new! Also, the carpet was almost perfect for walking on after, just slightly hot-damp - but dried up in a couple of hours without needing to open windows either.

Apologies though, didn't realise the picture was blurry till I saw it on my PC.

DSC04067.jpg

Anyway, the reason I made this update post is that I know there will be some of you out there who may inevitably have the same debate with yourselves and so I'm telling you now you will never go wrong with this Bissell :)

Soldato
Good to see you have dusted off this thread & updated it.

Got a Bissel, very good, shocking how clean it got my hallway carpet.:o
It came with a seperate turbo brush, which fits on the hose.

I filled my turbo brush with Bissell's Oxy Gen 2 a multi purpose oxygen cleaner
supplied with the cleaner.

Removes stains really well.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I know! I was expecting some part of the stains to have been left, especially in the proper grimey patches, but all restored to new! :)

I think mine came with an Oxy Gen 2 sample bottle, not opened it yet. I bought the Bissell Wash & Protect proffessional (2x concentrate) because it contains Scotch Guard, thought I'd do the whole house at least once a year to keep it spiffy :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
Thread Bump

How long is the extension for doing stairs and how lightweight is the machine to operate?

There seem to be loads on the Bissell main website and I don't know which one to go for.

Permabanned
Just bought one and it did a grand job on my rug. Threw off loads of hair embedded deep within the thick pile and the water tank was filled with small amounts of debris. Shocked how dirty my rug was judging by the waste water I discarded, it was brown in colour. Suction is great and the air dry system although a nice feature still requires extra help from airation to quickly dry the rug.

Edit - For women or weak men I think the lift off version of this machine would be better for doing the stairs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom