Is connecting a DualShock 4 controller to Windows 10 plug-and-play?

Associate
I want to stream some PlayStation 3 games on my PC via. PS Now.

I want a Sony controller so all the button icons match the on-screen prompts.

I do not have a Bluetooth dongle.

If I connect the controller to the PC via. a USB cable, will it be ready to go?

I don't want to mess about with "PS4Windows" or any of that rubbish. I'm sure Sony doesn't*endorse it. Their PS Now help website simply says it works out of the box.

Associate
But in all seriousness, I believe the answer is no.

I think you would need to buy the official Sony wireless dongle for it to be plug and play (due to be released early September)

Otherwise you'd need to use DS4windows (which is actually very easy to use, but it won't map the buttons correctly as it's tricking the PC into thinking you're using an Xbox controller)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
But in all seriousness, I believe the answer is no.

I think you would need to buy the official Sony wireless dongle for it to be plug and play.

Otherwise you'd need to use DS4windows (which is actually very easy to use, but it won't map the buttons correctly as it's tricking the PC into thinking you're using an Xbox controller)

Ah, I believe you mean the DualShock 4 USB Wireless Adaptor (released 24 August 2016).

Not available on Amazon UK.

I'll wait for it to appear.

Soldato
Yes you just plug it in and it works. You don't need any special drivers as it presents itself as a standard direct input controller.

Remote Play / Now work exactly as you would expect. Other games are dependent on what the developer has done, some recognise you're using the DS4 and it gives you the correct button prompts.

Back
Top Bottom