No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Soldato
I really don't think people should be allowed a refund past the original 2 hours. This is gonna have a big impact on games getting publishers moving forward.

It was clear from the get go that there was no gameplay in this game, it was just like a glorified interactive tech demo. I'm not alone in seeing that and commenting on it long before the game got released. It baffles me that people can claim to have been mislead.

Soldato
I really don't think people should be allowed a refund past the original 2 hours. This is gonna have a big impact on games getting publishers moving forward.

It was clear from the get go that there was no gameplay in this game, it was just like a glorified interactive tech demo. I'm not alone in seeing that and commenting on it long before the game got released. It baffles me that people can claim to have been mislead.

Yeah it might make developers less willing to lie about their products. People have been mislead because features are missing and Sean Murray is on record on many occasions lying his a** off. Just because you were sceptical (so was I by the way) that does not mean that others weren't mislead.

Associate
Game had too much hype, people should get refunds if the game only delivered 20% of what it promised, after all if you are keen to support and buy the game as soon as it comes out why should you be victimised? What is the point in waiting around for reviews instead of pre-ordering?

I for one didn't really look at any promised material which means that from my opinion the game is just a mediocre, indie, badly optimised game however upon looking further into what the Devs said it would provide, faction involvement, choices that will affect the galaxy, multiplayer etc...

It was more expensive that ME3 was when it came out or ME4 is currently on pre-order. Shame on them and shame as the game could have been great. Are there any game out there that does free space exploration? As I would like to give them a go.

Soldato
Elite Dangerous and Empyrion are worthy mentions. I put 70 hours into the latter, and it's updated frequently.

I've just jumped into Elite Dangerous and can confirm its the game i was looking for. A decent space simulator which is also VR able.

I also couldn't get a refund on NMS :D

Associate
Yeah it might make developers less willing to lie about their products. People have been mislead because features are missing and Sean Murray is on record on many occasions lying his a** off. Just because you were sceptical (so was I by the way) that does not mean that others weren't mislead.

The only caveat I wish to add to above is that as far as we know Murray could have asked Sony for more time and they said no, we're shipping. I'm not saying things don't look bad for Murray, because they do, just that we can't be sure what was happening behind the scenes.

Soldato
The only caveat I wish to add to above is that as far as we know Murray could have asked Sony for more time and they said no, we're shipping. I'm not saying things don't look bad for Murray, because they do, just that we can't be sure what was happening behind the scenes.

Doubt Sony had anything to do with the PC release window. Are they publishers on PC?

e: Just looked, nope, HG are down as the publisher on Steam

Soldato

Maybe that had some effect but it would not explain away all the missing features, or Murray's nonsense about multi-player, or the subsequent 'server issues' excuse that immediately followed release.

They'd acted in bad faith, but what I find just as lamentable is the fanboi defence of Hello Games. It blows my mind that people are so weak and pathetic that rather than admit they've been conned (and we've all been conned in life, and we've all paid food money for absolute rubbish too) - they'd rather defend the company that just ripped them off.

'We' deserve the games we get it seems to me.

Game devs must be laughing their heads off - "It doesn't mind what we release, we've got armies of internet fanboi's who'll defend us tooth and nail"

:D

Last edited:
Associate
Elite Dangerous it is yeah. From what I heard it is great but you probably need a £100 Joystick to enjoy it, not sure how mouse and keyboard works. I did just order the Eye Tracker which apparently works with it.

Defiant306 what video is that as I get an error when trying to play it. Is it the Angry Joe by any chance as that was fun and true:)

Associate
A few more of my favourite screenshots:

AB1CFE73C46209C582B9F3EBBBC2C5DC472E2CF0

FF03E58C8B7B3B9955130B041B346CEF9A113594

711E9D8DEF01F6051680D4B89626702CEA713E24

B3C2B4924090BC28DE15E1431044A27AA1701518

Last edited:
Caporegime

Doubt Sony had anything to do with the PC release window. Are they publishers on PC?

e: Just looked, nope, HG are down as the publisher on Steam

Yup, if they really wanted to prove how much it was Sony's fault they could have delayed the PC release and proven how good the game really was. However lets not forget this game was being developed for I believe 8 years... look at Duke Nukem and other prolonged development games, they almost exclusively never go well. Though most very long development cycles end up starting the game over or switching developers as with ACM(passed off to a third party, came back, disaster, etc).

The only rumours of Sony rushing him come from people making excuses, there isn't a single indication he was rushed and in general terms. What's more is Sony are pretty well known for being a great publisher that doesn't push devs to release a finished game. Uncharted 4 is a huge game for them and they approved delaying the game past their most profitable sales period because the game being right was more important to them.

Another person tried to tarnish Sony and push the blame on them by saying they were involved with ACM. ACM is another case where one, the publisher was Sega and two, Sega gave them years extensions and it was solely Gearbox's fault that the game was a mess.

Honestly what happens with 9/10 games that miss the mark is immediately blaming the publisher. There is an automatic gamers community mentality that the dev is good and the publisher is evil. Without any information at all gamers instantly blame publishers for wanting the money and absolve devs of blame. There are great devs and bad devs, treating them all the same and all as pro gamer, pro gaming and would never make a choice that lets them release anything other than a great game is just nuts tbh.

Soldato
Yup, if they really wanted to prove how much it was Sony's fault they could have delayed the PC release and proven how good the game really was. However lets not forget this game was being developed for I believe 8 years... look at Duke Nukem and other prolonged development games, they almost exclusively never go well. Though most very long development cycles end up starting the game over or switching developers as with ACM(passed off to a third party, came back, disaster, etc).

The only rumours of Sony rushing him come from people making excuses, there isn't a single indication he was rushed and in general terms. What's more is Sony are pretty well known for being a great publisher that doesn't push devs to release a finished game. Uncharted 4 is a huge game for them and they approved delaying the game past their most profitable sales period because the game being right was more important to them.

Another person tried to tarnish Sony and push the blame on them by saying they were involved with ACM. ACM is another case where one, the publisher was Sega and two, Sega gave them years extensions and it was solely Gearbox's fault that the game was a mess.

Honestly what happens with 9/10 games that miss the mark is immediately blaming the publisher. There is an automatic gamers community mentality that the dev is good and the publisher is evil. Without any information at all gamers instantly blame publishers for wanting the money and absolve devs of blame. There are great devs and bad devs, treating them all the same and all as pro gamer, pro gaming and would never make a choice that lets them release anything other than a great game is just nuts tbh.

While it would be nice to think that can you imagine the furore if PC gamers had patiently waited 6 months for the game that was advertised and got it while the console crowd had to continue with the game as it is now with minor content patches, due to the limitations of the console and sony dictating release times?

Theres no way sony would ever allow it in the first place, and there would be even more rage than there is now. Although in theory I'd like that idea, I'd wait 6 months to get the full game.

Soldato

Hello Games are the publisher of No Man's Sky. Sony clearly chipped in with some advertising money, probably in exchange for keepng it a PS4 console exclusive, but they weren't the publisher.

Soldato
So many complaints about this game. Missing content, bugs, performance issues and even just disappointment in the gameplay itself.

Glad I didn't buy this for £40! Maybe will pick it out of the bargain bin for a fiver someday.

Back
Top Bottom