Msi gt73vr

Man of Honour
There are two different 1080 models. The slim model with a slightly higher spec looks like it will suit my requirements. But how will it cope with the heat? I'm guessing the bulk of the other model is due to the cooling but who knows? Has anyone got one of the thinner laptops?

Associate
It is probably worth contacting Overclockers to be sure but I don't think there are two models. The picture in the higher specification one is wrong I think and shows a GS73 6RF.

If you look at the MSI web site they only show the thicker model.

Man of Honour
OP
Hmm Overclockers staff haven't been particularly helpful in this case. They say for more information I really need to speak to MSI.

From my research it would appear that both the laptops are the same, only one has more RAM and a larger SSD. Would that be correct?

LT-249-MS

LT-24Q-MS

Associate
I own the GT73VR 6RF-035UK with the same specification and it is the thicker model. Also note that it doesn't have a blu-ray drive as listed on the Overclockers site.

It is possible that it is a different product but everywhere else I look shows the thicker laptop as does the MSI web site.

I suppose you could buy it and see what turns up and if you aren't happy send it back under DSR.

Last edited:
Associate
I got mine from elsewhere so it is possible that Overclockers have an exclusive different laptop in-stock, but it isn't showing on the MSI web site.

Best bet it to hope someone who ordered from Overclockers comes along or buy and see what turns up.

Associate
I bought the GT73VR 6RF-035UK on the first day and recall seeing a BD Writer in the spec. Can confirm there is definitely no BD drive in mine plus as others have said the thicker chassis and not the one shown on the store.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Did you get it from here? Support told me that they have 'exclusive' variants.

This is the email I received:

"Thank you for your webnote.
From what our suppliers have told us, these will have a BD writer.

If you have any other questions, please let us know."

Associate
Bought from Overclockers -

LT-249-MS MSI GT73VR 6RF-035UK NVIDIA GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5 17.3" FHD, Intel i7-6820HK Gaming Laptop

This is the one with 512gb ssd and 32gb of memory.

Associate
To be honest I haven't even looked for the BD drive until reading this post. I guessed there may have been a mistake with images used and its not the end of the world really. I bought this laptop purely for gaming and shortly VR use. With 3 kids its good to have a portable solution that I can put away out of harms way when not in use. For what it is the performance of the laptop has met my expectations although its a bit gaudy. Fan noise is bearable when gaming but then again as expected with a 1080 in a laptop. I have an XPS15 for when I need a 'normal' laptop. After the XPS screen the MSI was a slight dissappointment. I probably expected more from the 120hz display however,again, it is great for gaming which was my primary need for this laptop.

Was it worth the money? Not really. Early adoptors pay a premium so I understand that and there is no doubting the perfomance. Quality is adequate but again coming from the XPS everything feels slighty cheap as far a build quality. Brushed effect looks good in pictures but its still just plastic.

How often does one use a BD writer (and coming from the XPS I have an external BD writer anyway) and while the thinner chassis would suit me better I'm not sure the 1080 would work as well. The heat coming out of the laptop is uncomfortably hot so to me it need the deeper chassis with the airflow it provides.

Reading through this sounds harsh but the laptop does have amazing performance - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9829536 Once you see the performance you can forgive the gaudy looks :)

Associate
Thanks for your post. I appreciate your honesty.

Well I received my laptop today and it is dead. I'm not a happy bunny. I can't get a picture at all. There is power to it, the red power button keeps recylcing on and off for some reason. It's weird.

I so wanted an MSI, hope you get it sorted asap, Asus rog it is

Man of Honour
OP
I am absolutely positive the MSI is the way to go. I'll await my replacement. I realised when inspecting my one (for the ten minutes or so I had it) that it is considerably lighter than the Asus ROG it replaces. This is a good thing, in my opinion, but it also points towards a lighter build quality. I can see why it has no optical drive though, pretty obvious when you see how the heat pipes have to work round that 1080. It must generate oodles of heat. Hope it isn't too noisy but going by the above it should be okay.

From what I'm aware the new Asus doesn't support Thunderbolt, or does it?

Back
Top Bottom