Peugeot 308 anti-pollution system fault warning

Soldato
During the recent cold spell, I cleared the car of snow and ran it every few days until all was nice and warm and everything has been fine.
Car has 2500 miles on it, and is a petrol variant of a 308.

Today after returning to my house from beign away for 4 days, the snow is now gone, and the ice has all disappeared around here, ambient daytime was 10 degrees, so I sarted her up, she started first time, and ran, but a beep and warning light are on.
System states: anti-pollution system fault.
Engine fan was belting at full speed for 2 minutes after start, then quit, and all seems to be running fine, she idles revs fine, smoke minimal to begin then virtually nothing, heats to normal turnover temperature and runs soundly, but the engine light remains lit, and restarting brings the same message.

Anyone experienced or seen this? Was it related to cold spell?
Next course of action?

Last edited:
Soldato
It will be sorted under warranty I'm sure but I'd hazard a guess that the post catalytic convertor sensor has packed up and the car thinks it is chucking out polar ice cap melting emissions.

Caporegime
it could be because its not been driven properly ? have you taken it out for a good long run, or just used it to go shops and back ?

If not, i'd take it on a nice long run, give it a good boot on a dual carriageway to get the revs up and burn anything that may be lingering in the exhaust system by getting the temperatures up.

If that doesnt work, or you have been taking it on long runs, book it into peugeot. It will be under warranty and should be fixed F.O.C.

Soldato
Mate had same fault on his 206 GTI of fail, he narrowed it down to a VVT sensor after much googling. Cleaned it and fault didnt come back for almost a year, previously it would come and go at random. But as the others have said get it to Peugeot for them to tell you they can't find a fault.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
that error is thrown up whenever there is a fault that could effect the emissions.

You can't say anti-pollution fault = x

You need to read the code from the ECU. As suggested, try taking it for a good drive - get the engine nice and hot. If it fails, take it back to the dealer and leave it to them.

Soldato
OP
Yes I had read similar that a good drive might shift the issue but not actually clear the sensor light and then disconnecting and reconnecting the battery would do this.
Don't partilcuarly want to do it, as it isn't my vehicle, I'll try to find out where he bought it and give them a call to get it to them to have a look at things.

Seems common enough that the anti-pollution sensor on certain peugeots seems fickle.

I'll take it out for a good run and see if that autoclears it.

Thanks for all the input guys.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
There is no 'anti-pollution' sensor. As I said, it's a generic error that means something that could effect the emissions has happened. This could be lambda, map, iat, cts, knock - all sorts really

Caporegime
Yes I had read similar that a good drive might shift the issue but not actually clear the sensor light and then disconnecting and reconnecting the battery would do this.
Don't partilcuarly want to do it, as it isn't my vehicle, I'll try to find out where he bought it and give them a call to get it to them to have a look at things.

Seems common enough that the anti-pollution sensor on certain peugeots seems fickle.

I'll take it out for a good run and see if that autoclears it.

Thanks for all the input guys.

have you not actually been driving it then ?

Just letting it run on the drive ?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
agreed, any car with a cat these days will have that. But this fault code on the screen does not mean that that sensor has thrown an error. It's almost as generic as the engine warning light being on.

My PSA car was throwing this error when it had some stored errors related to the injector circuit

Back
Top Bottom