7th Annual BOINC Pentathlon: 5th - 19th June 2016

Soldato
wwPb.png

We have been invited to participate in this years Boinc Pentathlon

FAQ https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/27_en_FAQ.html

In case no one knows what this is it's a competition run between the 5th - 19th June involving 5 different projects.

Marathon (CPU, 14 days)
Sprint (CPU or GPU, 3 days)
City Run (CPU, 5 days)
Cross Country (GPU or CPU, 5 days)
Swimming (CPU, 7 days)

We came 19th out of 27 last year (thread), but we had just 8 participants. Here's hoping this year we have a better turnout.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 Boinc Pentathlon Overall Standings Ended, OcUK finished 12th/33 OVERALL

Individual Standings:

Marathon (CPU, full 14 days) CITIZEN SCIENCE GRID Leaderboard Ended, OcUK finished 12th/34
All credits granted between 05/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) and 19/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. Please note that pending credits can not be taken into account!

City Run (CPU, 5 days) theSkyNet pogs Leaderboard Ended, OcUK finished 10th/34
All credits granted between 06/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) and 11/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. Please note that pending credits can not be taken into account!

Cross Country (GPU & CPU, 5 days) PRIMEGRID Leaderboard Ended, OcUK finished 12th/34
All credits granted between 09/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) and 14/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. Please note that pending credits can not be taken into account!

Swimming (CPU, 7 days) UNIVERSE@HOME Leaderboard Ended, OcUK finished 11th/34[/I]
All credits granted between 12/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) and 19/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. Please note that pending credits can not be taken into account!

Sprint (CPU, 3 days) ROSETTA@HOME Leaderboard Ended, OcUK finished 15th/34
All credits granted between 15/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) and 18/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. Please note that pending credits can not be taken into account!

Last edited:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
For me, of the limited choices, it would be (not in any order of preference), and also as I don't want to add any more projects that I haven't been active on:

theSkyNet POGS
Cosmology
Asteroids
GPUGrid

But I doubt I'd bring much to the party these days, only the machines that currently run. And I'd definitely not run anything that needed that wretched virtual boinc thing as that is just plain broken.

Associate
Dont mind what i run and I can get that virtual oracle thing running fine lol, doing Atlas atm
theres a new v5 of oracle vb out thats a lot better and you need to give each tak 2.2gig memory atm so im just running 6 with 16gig memory
And have a app_config.xml with

<app_config>
<app>
<name>ATLAS</name>
<max_concurrent>6</max_concurrent>
</app>
</app_config>

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
We have been invited to participate in this years Boinc Pentathlon, which I will sign us up for.

I am perhaps being a bit presumptuous here, the decision should be decided as a team, those who wish to participate please post here and then we can discuss whether it's worth us entering if the numbers are low.

We have until the 27th April to decide.

Last edited:
Soldato
1. nfs , cosmology , rosetta , enigma not fussed really
2. theSkyNet POGS - would also benefit us on FB
3. any of them
4. CSG , pogs , rosetta ... again not bothered to much

to be honest I think im just picking projects that'll help us in FB lol

PDW

PDW

Associate
The results of the swedish jury are in...

1. Sprint (CPU or GPU, 3 days) Choices:
Yes: ATLAS@Home, Enigma@Home, Rosetta@home, VGTU@Home
No: SRBase, YAFU

2. City Run (CPU, 5 days) Choices:
Yes: ATLAS@Home, Enigma@Home

3. Cross Country (GPU or CPU, 5 days) Choices:
Yes: Asteroids@home, SETI@home

4. Swimming (CPU, 7 days) Choices:
Yes: ATLAS@Home, Enigma@Home, Rosetta@home, VGTU@Home

The others not mentioned in the various categories are fine if chosen.
Reasons: quite good at Atlas, will do Enigma anyway so might as well have it in the comp.
VGTU if it is going into the Vault (though that means non-windows and fun and games with GPUs)
Rosetta and SETI as I haven't done those yet.

Only GPU project I plan on doing would be Asteroids.
If any of the others come up I am happy to run them under someone else's ID rather than not contribute.
I believe if they give me their weak account key I can run as someone else but haven't tried it, should probably test that !
To be chosen they would need to have already run or be running the project and obviously willing to send me their weak key.
Any problems with doing that ?

Think SETI has a GPU app but that work is thin on the ground ?
Unless they can provide sufficient work I assume that wouldn't be included ?

Oooooh Spanky :eek::eek::eek:

Associate
Welcome to team 10, what are you doing atm then what with or you can err cheat and hide your pcs like some do lol :eek:

Currently doing WorldCommunityGrid for Cancer Markers, and Climateprediction.net

I using a X5660 @ 4.2GHz and a GTX 970, have it on about 8 hours a day as my room gets STUPIDLY warm at the moment so been having to turn it off to sleep :/ but am working on a solution haha

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
Currently doing WorldCommunityGrid for Cancer Markers, and Climateprediction.net

I using a X5660 @ 4.2GHz and a GTX 970, have it on about 8 hours a day as my room gets STUPIDLY warm at the moment so been having to turn it off to sleep :/ but am working on a solution haha
Welcome to the team :)

I'm surprised Andy hasn't been in to show you his Trademarked cooling solution :D

Associate
Haha maybe for when I have my own house but I am currently sharing with 2 other guys - their electricity bill has gone up since I appeared :p

I am getting a new machine in the mid summer so am tempted to take this one to my parents house and let them pay for having it running 24/7 I will just set it up as a movie server for them and me (via their gigabit internet connection, swine's)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom