• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

290x crossfire vs 1070 or 1080?

P.B

P.B

Soldato
My mate has a has 290x lightning crossfire water cooled and is looking to upgrade as crossfire can be sketchy. What sort of increase would he expect?

Associate
Obviously a huge increase when crossfire isn't working but you will also see vastly better minimums and frametimes with a single 1080 vs crossfire. This should give you a much smoother gaming experience although the averages/maximums when crossfire is scaling well can be slightly higher on dual Hawaii cards vs the 1080.

Would go for it, had a 295x2 and going to the 980Ti was so much smoother and trouble free (really sucks waiting for profiles on new releases and the witcher 3 wait was the last straw for me). Had similar fps in GTA5 when comparing the 295x2 vs the 980Ti OCd but just found crossfire was stuttering fairly often.

Last edited:
Soldato
1080 should be much better in theory, ive compared my 290x xfire to a 980ti whiles driving around in sumones car in GTA, we were getting similar FPS mine sumtimes higher, but i got a lot more drops and obviously when ya get a drop with crossfire it looks a lot worse than a single card.

Associate
I've just gone from a 295X2 to a GTX 1080 Strix and the performance is better at everything except Dirt Rally where I'm getting weirdly low fps. That's probably a minor driver issue though.

If I'm 100% honest, if I had my time over again I'd probably wait for a 1080Ti, because you won't find a normal 1080 is much better than 290X Crossfire, except for games where Crossfire support is poor/ non-existent.

If you are fed up with not being able to use Crossfire then go for it. Doom for me was transformed by the 1080. If everything you play works OK with Crossfire then don't bother.

Associate
My mate has a has 290x lightning crossfire water cooled and is looking to upgrade as crossfire can be sketchy. What sort of increase would he expect?

I live with exact same setup MSI 290x Lightning CF and have changed to 980Ti and now to 1080, no point to do that at all. Only reason can be the very specific game demands and 4k. I personally prefer 120Hz and above so no 4 k for me yet. Sold 1080 off and waiting for 1080Ti maybe then i will let my beloved Lightnings go

YVj4YAT

Last edited:
Soldato
Isn't it amazing how good the 290x's have stayed? Holy hell! Yeah, CF profiles are gonna be a pain but it's looking better and better.

Associate
running a single r9 290x here...looking to upgrade but waiting for AMD's 1070/1080 competitor before i splash out.

love my 290x but the heat it produces is mental...

Associate
running a single r9 290x here...looking to upgrade but waiting for AMD's 1070/1080 competitor before i splash out.

love my 290x but the heat it produces is mental...

Heat is another story, i got 8x140 radiator spaces with push pull (which is a LOT) and under load 290x Lightning CF cards go up to 60c which is absolutely sick. With the same cooling configuration and ambient temps evga hydrocoppers 980Ti in SLI goes up to only 44c full load

Last edited:
Associate
Heat is another story, i got 8x140 radiator spaces with push pull (which is a LOT) and under load 290x Lightning CF cards go up to 60c which is absolutely sick. With the same cooling configuration and ambient temps evga hydrocoppers 980Ti in SLI goes up to only 44c full load

Mine isn't water-cooled - regularly hits 95c. Warns up my case so much it's ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom