• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Soldato
My budget is about £180 and I have been hunting around for either something second hand or hoping the NV cards would drop in the next month.

I will be buying one of these now, it's a no brainer.

Soldato
4GB version is meant to be $199,which would be £165 with VAT and $230 for the 8GB version which will be £190 with VAT. I think the performance is hinted to be close to an R9 390X/GTX980 AFAIK. But OFC,if this actually overclocks well,the AIB versions might be faster than the reference card.

Caporegime
I'll be putting one of these into a new budget gaming PC for a friend, who is keen to experience FreeSync at 1080p/1440p and pc gaming after years of console gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
Definitely a budget friendly step up for me. Was torn between a 1080 or waiting and seeing how this panned out and I'm glad I did. Cannot quite justify the increase in cost for the limited gaming I tend to do. This looks like a healthy upgrade from my 7950 without a massive cost outlay and reduced power consumption.

Associate
I think this could be a very popular card, if not really exciting. There's an awful lot of "please spec me" threads that this card would fit right into.

Soldato
It seems to be a smart move by AMD as long as the 8gb variant isn't too much more. Is this the fastest Polaris chip?

8GB one is meant to start at $230. We also don't know how well the GPU overclocks,so we will need to wait and see if AMD has made any progress in that regard. If they have,factory overclocked versions could actaully give a decent performance boost.

Soldato
Wow! Shots fired, as they say.

Given how improvements of 1080 and 1070 over their predecessors have been so questionable and their high price, AMD delivering Fury level performance for < £200 looks extremely good value for money by comparison. Plus as the article says, most people are at 1080 / 1440 for which this is plenty acceptable. And given that AMD has recently being shedding a major bottleneck by DX12 and Async starting to be used, that's given them a significant bump in relative performance to Nvidia products.

This is going to fly off the shelves.

Soldato
Well probably more like R9 390X/GTX980 level performance(maybe AIB overclocked ones hit Fury level performance?),but that nearly is double a GTX960,slightly less than that for a R9 380 and nearly a 50% improvement over an R9 380X.

Associate
I should be crying right now with that kind of power for that kind of price as I have a Fury. But I'm actually very excited about the price point they have come out with. I honestly believed it wouldnt be lower than $299 for the 8GB version but it does look like it's gonna be $249 or thereabouts. Thats amazing.

Well they did say they were going to go for the 1080P market. Even better, get two and give the 1080 a run for its money (Yes I know it was ashes and we will have to get real world benches to really see how things pan out). But things looking good so far. Nice one AMD.
:D

Back
Top Bottom