How to remove black borders when watching movies?

Soldato
I downloaded a movie for the misses and when i run it in windows media player 11 it has a black border at the top and the bottom? I tried full screen and that didnt work? monitor is a BenQ 24" 16:9 HD

Soldato
Personally, I use KMplayer.

It is a great player and allows you to mess around the video as much as you like.

When playing the movie press "6" and it will stretch the video to fill the screen (though this affects the aspect ratio and stretches the image), or press "7" (which I often use) where it overscans the image, so you fill the screen, preserve the aspect ratio, but loose some image from the sides.

Last edited:
Associate
Why would you want to remove the borders? The movie is shot in that aspect ratio, and it looks the best of you have it stay at that. If you stretch the movie, the picture is gonna be distorted and the proportions get's all screwy.

Associate
I'd vote for media player classic, it has a massive amout of display options and even lets you manually size and move the video on screen.

Soldato
Why would you want to remove the borders? The movie is shot in that aspect ratio, and it looks the best of you have it stay at that. If you stretch the movie, the picture is gonna be distorted and the proportions get's all screwy.

Indeed, hate seeing stuff stretched to fit :(

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The player won't solve your problem, read, people.

The borders are there as the film is recorded in that AR.

Lose the AR by scaling in and you lose a whole lot of movie on both left and right sides.

If you don't like the borders then ditch the 16:10 monitor and get a 16:9 one.

FWIW MPC-HC is better than VLC. I use both.

Soldato
The player won't solve your problem, read, people.

The borders are there as the film is recorded in that AR.

Lose the AR by scaling in and you lose a whole lot of movie on both left and right sides.

If you don't like the borders then ditch the 16:10 monitor and get a 16:9 one.

FWIW MPC-HC is better than VLC. I use both.

mrk speaks teh troof.

Associate
The problem might be the fact that you downloaded the film, i know its much easier but some downloaded films have a crazy aspect ratio, so much that it fills the monitor lengthways but not in height

Soldato
I've just picked up 3 DVD's on my desk.

One is 2.4:1, the other two are 2.35:1. Turn your boxes over and have a look for yourself, it says on the back.

neither of those equate to 16:9

Just because you've gone and bought yourself an 'HD' monitor doesn't mean all films magically fit. If you remove the black bars you'll have a horribly distorted picture or you'll crop stuff off, view it as it was intended!

Soldato
The problem might be the fact that you downloaded the film, i know its much easier but some downloaded films have a crazy aspect ratio, so much that it fills the monitor lengthways but not in height

Most DVDs/Blu Rays use anamorphic widescreen (ie 1.85:1 to 2.39:1) to present films - its certainly not exclusive to naughtily downloaded movies, they are likely just preserving the source AR.

Most TV shows these days use 16:9 - so they will fill the OP's screen, but most movies will leave black bars - unless he crops the film to fit the screen. This isn't the best solution - but if you REALLY need the extra viewing area then it may be better than watching the film in teeny weeny vision.

Back
Top Bottom