Coffee machines, Tassimo or Nespresso?

Permabanned
Want to get the missus a coffee machine for xmas. She is a latte drinker mainly, which would you go for? It seems that Tassimo and Nespresso are the easiest and quickest to work as I don't think she will want to faff about and wait a while for a cup to make.

My budget is up to £150.

Associate
If you're willing to take in to account the fact that Nespresso are giving away a £70 gift voucher at the moment and offset that against your budget I'd recommend the Nespresso Lattissima Plus (which I've just bought). Given that she likes milky drinks and the Aeroccino is alledgedly a pain to clean, it might be worth a look.

Either way, go with Nespresso - I looked in to this and the Tassimo seems akin to those things you get in offices, ie, no control over your drinks. Nespresso seems to give a half way house to a real Espresso machine without all the quality but without a lot of the hassle.

Soldato
I've had an Aeroccino for 3 years both at home and at the office and they're fine to clean, if you were worried at all. I normally just fill it up with water when I've used it and then clean it with everything else. You can always just make it clean itself too but putting some water and washing up liquid in it and putting it on the heat and stir only mode.

Soldato
Did not like Nespresso coffee (had one in my hotel room with loads of different coffees).

I have also had Senseo (not good) and a friend has the Tassimo; which was very good!

I have a Dolce Gusto which i prefer (Chocochino, Cappucino, Mocah, Spiced Chai, some good flavours!)

Soldato
Did not like Nespresso coffee (had one in my hotel room with loads of different coffees).

Were they using 3rd party capsules? I tried some fomr Amazon and they were quite horrible.

On the other hand, with the real thing from the nespresso store, everyone who has had it loves it.

Soldato
mmmmm, not sure now! It was in a Crowne Plaza hotel in one of their Club Rooms, so one would assume they were original - but you never know.

I was thinking about getting one until i tried those - maybe another try one day!

Permabanned
OP
Shaz]sigh[;25468835 said:
If you're willing to take in to account the fact that Nespresso are giving away a £70 gift voucher at the moment and offset that against your budget I'd recommend the Nespresso Lattissima Plus (which I've just bought). Given that she likes milky drinks and the Aeroccino is alledgedly a pain to clean, it might be worth a look.

Either way, go with Nespresso - I looked in to this and the Tassimo seems akin to those things you get in offices, ie, no control over your drinks. Nespresso seems to give a half way house to a real Espresso machine without all the quality but without a lot of the hassle.

Must admit I do like the look of the Lattissima Plus. How long does it take to receive the £70? Do I need to get some capsules with it?

Anyone recommend some nice Latte glasses?

Soldato
I've had an Aeroccino for 3 years both at home and at the office and they're fine to clean, if you were worried at all. I normally just fill it up with water when I've used it and then clean it with everything else. You can always just make it clean itself too but putting some water and washing up liquid in it and putting it on the heat and stir only mode.

This. I've had an Aeroccino for years, I had to get it imported from the US at the time. Never had issues cleaning it, just give it a rinse when you've used it and wash as normal.

I wouldn't be without mine.

I don't use the Nespresso any more, prefer using an Aeropress, but the Mrs uses it all the time.

Associate
We've got a nespresso. It's ok, obviously not as good as the real thing. But it's alright. Used it loads at first, but it's been less and less lately.

The plus side of the dolce or the tassimo is they have loads of flavors, hot choc ect and are widely available in super markets. Nespresso make you but it online or from their special shops.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Must admit I do like the look of the Lattissima Plus. How long does it take to receive the £70? Do I need to get some capsules with it?

After you receive your machine, you fill out a form online to register for the £70 gift card. They send you an email saying it takes up to 4 weeks to arrive and you start to wonder if the 16 capsules that came with the machine will last anywhere near that long. Mine arrived in under a week though.

When you go to order online and are asked for payment details, you just enter the gift card number and it will deduct the basket total from the gift card.

Some more info here:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18548324&page=3#63

Associate

I'm not sure - I only received mine on Saturday and filled in the online form that night so we'll see!

You get 16 capsules with it of various different flavours. I'm currently decimating that.

I'm looking at the Bodum Thermo glasses.

Caporegime
Definitely Nespresso. Get this: http://www.johnlewis.com/nespresso-...d-aeroccino3-by-magimix-white-sand/p231746228

Absolute bargain. Makes the machine £30 effectively which is less than the Aerocinno is worth alone (which you need for lattes).

Shaz]sigh[;25468835 said:

The plus side of the dolce or the tassimo is they have loads of flavors, hot choc ect and are widely available in super markets. Nespresso make you buy it online or from their special shops.

Ding ding ding !

Lol, that's how they get you !!!

Cheap entry, then tied you in for life with limited choices !

Associate
Ding ding ding !

There's no disputing the lock-in although you'd weigh that up against the convenience - also without the voucher which I assume is seasonal it's not that cheap of an entry.

It all depends on what you want and when you want it. ie, for now, I want convenience with an ok product, if I wanted a gourmet product then I'd accept the convenience would likely go away to an extent.

Soldato
Ding ding ding !

But I believe they recently lost the patent to the capsules??
26/11/2013
Last month, an EPO appeals board revoked another Nespresso patent, and in April the Vevey, Switzerland-based company lost a battle to block Dualit Ltd. from making capsules in Britain.
Apparently there are already companies making capsules that will fit in a Nespresso machine.

Back
Top Bottom