• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Installing video card in Gigabyte F2A55M

Associate
I have a PC which is having some strange problems not fixed by replacement, RAM, so the next step is to install a separate video card. I want to check I'm going to go about it the right way, so I don't end up with a PC that won't talk to a monitor!

I've looked at the manual which bizarrely mentions two PCI Express graphics card slots on a mobo with only one! I've not checked if the BIOS does actually have both choices as the PC is 10 miles away. It's also silent on if there is a preferred way to do this.

However I can see more than one way of making the changes:

1. change the Primary video device in the BIOS to the NB PCIe slot, shutdown, install the card, connect the monitor to that instead of the on-board one
  2. shutdown, install the card, reboot, change the BIOS, shutdown, replug the monitor & reboot.

Option 1 is clearly a lot easier! I do have two monitors available if necessary.

Advice will be welcome.

Associate
^ As above, just added a discreet GPU to the very same motherboard for a relative and that's the process I used with one exception: uninstalled the driver for the onboard AMD GPU before shutting down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom