Does your company pay for eye tests/glasses

Soldato
Just had an eye test, and I need some new glasses. Now I wasn't sure if the company would pay for the glasses as well as the eye test seeing as I need glasses to read and use a computer monitor.

Apparently according to HR they will only do this if I can categorically prove that I only need glasses to read a VDU as is stated in the health and safety regulations.

Which got me thinking, who needs glasses JUST to read a computer monitor? It sounds ridiculous?

Soldato
My company will pay for one eye test a year and for office staff a small contribution to the glasses themselves. It's £38 i think, based on the fact you could get the cheapest nastiest pair for that, you just pay extra to look stylish.

PK!

Soldato
OP
people who are long sighted?

I am long sighted, however looking on the HSE website it seems they have a case

I am entitled to an eye test as I work on DSE - how do I get one? And does my employer have to pay for DSE spectacles?
You are entitled to ask your employer to provide an eye test if you are an employee who habitually uses DSE as a significant part of your normal work. This is a full eye and eyesight test by an optometrist (or a doctor). Your employer should arrange for your test and should tell you how to apply. Your employer will only have to pay for spectacles if the test shows you need special spectacles (e.g. ones prescribed for the distance the screen is viewed at). If your ordinary prescription is suitable for your DSE work the employer does not have to pay for your spectacles.

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
I recently got ****** over by this.

I've always been SLIGHTLY short sighted, within 6 months of my current job using a monitor on a daily basis my presciption pretty much tripled. Had been getting head aches and seeing sparklies at work which is why I requested a eye test voucher.

So this was clearly caused by my current workplace, spoke to them they said unless them optician said they were needed only for VDU work then the business woul not pay a penny. Even tho is plain to see (no pun intended) that the workplace had a direct influence on this they declined to pay anything towards glasses.

Associate
£20 toward eye test, but in Scotland its free anyways, and up to £50 for glasses. Just got mine last week, which reminds me, I maybe should be wearing them..

Was about 191.90 in total, reduced to £20 :D

Soldato
£20 toward eye test, but in Scotland its free anyways, and up to £50 for glasses. Just got mine last week, which reminds me, I maybe should be wearing them..

Was about 191.90 in total, reduced to £20 :D

I don't understand how you got it reduced to £20? You just said you got £20 for the test, then £50 for the specs? That leaves the final reduced price of £121.90.

Or have you made a typo? :p.

To add, I'm currently getting authorised to have my test/glasses paid for, I think its £20 for the test and £40 towards the cost of specs. I've found a good online store that'll do the specs for me at £70 with anti glare coating, quite good considering the extact same in Boots would cost me £160!

~J~

~J~

Soldato
If I remember rightly it depends on what job you do.

Because I need a computer for my work, my employer has to pay:

For my eye tests.
For my lenses IF the optician feels that my eye sight has deteriated as a result of my job.

My employer does NOT pay for frames as these are classed as a cosmetic features of a medical requirement.

*edit*

And never had a days bother in obtaining these requirements from any of my employers either.

Soldato
My employer will pay for and eye test on a yearly (I think) basis if you ask. Not a problem I have as my eyesight has what is defined as a "complex" prescription by the NHS hence I get free eye test anyway ...

Permabanned
The company that I worked for over the summer paid for me to get prescription safety glasses. They were just to make my life easier, as I had glasses, and overglasses (which they had supplied). I was only working there for 3 months. They also paid for my boss' reading glasses and prescription safety glasses.

If they are refusing to pay for your glasses which you need to do your work, then I'd be pretty peeved if I were you, it shows how much they (don't) value you.

Associate
I don't understand how you got it reduced to £20? You just said you got £20 for the test, then £50 for the specs? That leaves the final reduced price of £121.90.

Or have you made a typo? :p.

To add, I'm currently getting authorised to have my test/glasses paid for, I think its £20 for the test and £40 towards the cost of specs. I've found a good online store that'll do the specs for me at £70 with anti glare coating, quite good considering the extact same in Boots would cost me £160!

Helps that I also receive NHS and Working Tax Credits, so they shunted the price right down :D:D

RSR

RSR

Soldato
My company pays for eye tests and give me up to £75 towards the cost of glasses.

Hmmm ive not had eye test since i was 14 mind :eek::p

Andy

Soldato
if using a VDU is part of your job then by law they have to put towards them, i think its around 55£ towards glasses and will pay for yearly eyetests

(edit: there may be something about how long u use a VDU mind i cant remembeR)

Soldato
OP
if using a VDU is part of your job then by law they have to put towards them, i think its around 55£ towards glasses and will pay for yearly eyetests

(edit: there may be something about how long u use a VDU mind i cant remembeR)

Afraid not

Your employer will only have to pay for spectacles if the test shows you need special spectacles (e.g. ones prescribed for the distance the screen is viewed at). If your ordinary prescription is suitable for your DSE work the employer does not have to pay for your spectacles.

Back
Top Bottom