Core use question...

Associate
Should I leave a core free to handle system tasks? I've heard people say they leave a core free to 'feed' the GPU.

I have 2 dedicated crunching rigs. (nothing special, but they do OK).
1... AMD A6-7400K Dual core + R5 GPU and a 7750 card
2... Intel Celeron G1840 dual core + HD graphics and GeForce GT720 card.

ATM they are running as many tasks as possible

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Are you crunching anything on the GPU?

If you are and the GPU is working BOINC then BOINC allocates part of the CPU as needed (different projects need different capacity). I just allow everything to go flat out and let the software take care. You can set BOINC so that it will pause GPU and CPU if needed if other higher priority uses are in use, and even exclusive applications such as gaming - look in advanced settings and computing preferences.

If you are using another Distributed Computing program for GPU crunching, such as folding, you may need to tell BOINC to back off a CPU core.

Associate
OP
Yes I am. The Intel rig isn't set up yet, but the AMD one is.
I don't use these machines for anything else, they are 100% BOINC systems.
The AMD rig is doing 4 work units at a time.
The APU does 3 (2 cores and R5 GPU) and the 7750 does 1.
(All SETI@HOME)

I plan to use the Intel one in a similar way but for a different BOINC project.

Associate
Ive got all my 16 threads running on Dennis and my titan x is folding 24/7, use the pc for other things as well at same time, dont get many problems and things all seem good, 16gig memory.

Associate
OP
Ive got all my 16 threads running on Dennis and my titan x is folding 24/7, use the pc for other things as well at same time, dont get many problems and things all seem good, 16gig memory.

Yea I think I'll just let it use all cores.

Here's a question though. I don't usually crunch on my main PC, but I will during the Dennis challenge.
It's an FX9590, but does BOINC use a lot of floating point work? Might it be better to only run 4 WU's on the FX? Because of the module design, if I run 8 WU's they would be sharing a FPU between 2 threads.

I'll also get my Fury card involved :)

PDW

PDW

Associate
Sorry, I don't know anything about AMD cpus :o

I'd suggest starting with 4 at a time and then increase the number till it interferes with your PC use.
Alternatively, go full steam ahead and reduce it if necessary :D

PDW

PDW

Associate
Have just looked at your Denis completed tasks and I don't know what is normal for an AMD like yours but I do know that what it is doing can't be right :eek:

Hopefully Hanluc or someone with more experience can explain what is going wrong for you but those run times are bad just for the stock app.

PDW

PDW

Associate
Yes, your times are better but you should download and run Crunch3r's SSE41 optimised app for Windows 64bit from here...

Windows 64bit SSE41 (INTEL/AMD compatible):
http://www.boincunited.org/opt_apps/denis/denis_1.05_x86_64-windows__sse41_v3.zip

You need to right-click the above link and choose Copy link location, then paste the link into a new browser tab to download the zip file. Extract the 2 files from the zip file and then put these 2 files into the DENIS project folder (C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\denis.usj.es_denisathome if you installed to the default location). Then stop BOINC Manager (File/Exit) and restart it and it will then use the optimised app.

Once that it working it may, or may not be able to run on all of the cores but it will be a lot faster that the current stock app :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom