4P build problem.

Associate
Quick few question to the folding group, and wondered if anyone has come across the same problem.

am in the middle of a 4P Opteron build with 4 6276 on a supermicro Board H8QGI-F on a 850w Psu..

When I add 3 Cpu's, It will post,(I have updated the bios to the lestest bios)

However, when I add the 4th, It wont post at all, I know the all the Cpu's work, as I have changed the all over in each socket.

it will post, when we have CPU in sockets 1,2 and 4....and will post when we have CPU in sockets 1,2 and 3.

As you can see, I have all the power connectors connected, One via PCIe

And also, whats the best OS to use when running all 4?

Last edited:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
I'm no expert, but 850W PSU, is that enough? I think my 4P rig I (I didn't build it, so acquired it a couple of years ago) has a 1000W PSU.

As for the OS, unless you have loads of money, most versions of Windows cannot support that many processors. So linux will win out. you might want to check http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1769083 for a system that has already sorted most of the linux and boinc / folding stuff you need.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wasn't sure weather I was dreaming or I had read it some were but then I remembered more and more of the story, weather it was a member on here on on hard forum I cant remember, but I DO remember a 4th cpu wouldn't allow the board to boot and it turned out to be faulty ram

Soldato
I came on here bragging at my 6 core upgrade and then I saw this thread - Gulp :eek:
Cant help you out with your issues but I hope you get it sorted dude.
Have you made any progress?, tried a different OS?.
The only thing I could add - is the ram on the mobo's approved list and (if its not fully populated) inserted in the correct sequence.
I say that as it appears there is no ram in the forth ram bank, could you try spreading the ram accross all 4 ram banks.
Just a 4P total noob trying to help.

Last edited:
Associate
With regards to the ram are you needing to make sure you populate the slots governed by cpu4? Just guessing its just from your first picture none of the lower right hand slot are populated.

Associate
OP
After Testing all day, I am no longer closer to getting the last cpu to run. In the end, Gave up on the task.

I have tried 4 diffident PSU, from 850w to 1375w. however on my 1000w Galaxy I was getting Two beep interval, which in the Manuals say 1 of 2 things...

1 Power supply abnormal, protection circuit activated
or 2, connector terminals are short-circuited.
This would not happen on the other Psu, which would Run the fans on boot.

Going from the first Photo, I took when I was swapping Cpu's over. I could easy get the 3 CPU to run with all Ram in the populated slots, Even show up in bios,saying a am Running 24GB.

All Ram is Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 Dual Channel Kit (2x2GB) 1600MHz CMX4GX3M2A1600C9, Board would auto set the ram to 1333Mhz.

Do you think Ram still could be the problem here? even tho its works and runs fine with 3CPU's.

Soldato
biffa or baba would be able to help as they use to run several of these between them, sign up at hard forum and im sure they will be able to help you for sure. I know ive read problems like this before and it was the ram

Soldato
It's been said previously - do the memory banks not need to be populated in a certain order? I would expect to see memory sticks in all four memory banks... Can you find a manual anywhere as that'll have the specific order info in it.

Associate
OP
Just a quick update.....

Today, I took the step of installing all the Ram in all the slots,(Am sure that I done this yesterday)....and to my shock, It booted in bios first time. :eek::eek::D:D

Maybe a small error in my part, as someone said, Seems like all the ram has to be populated to run 4p.

As For the OS, am playing around with Linux Mint which should do the job(I think). (having a few computation error with denis@home tho)

May look to overclock the board when i get a chance to.

Guess playing with the Ram timing should help also?

watts from the wall at full load.

Last edited:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Glad to see it's booting OK now

As for working with Denis are you using vanilla client or the optimised apps? The later could throw all sorts of things into the equation if you don't first know the machine is stable.

With the recent Denis challenge for the OS I did use the Hard forum ubunto based linux thing they had already got going, which has a BOINC client installed. All I then had to do was work out how to add the optimised thing for Denis. That will be buried in one of the other threads now.

Associate
OP
Glad to see it's booting OK now

As for working with Denis are you using vanilla client or the optimised apps? The later could throw all sorts of things into the equation if you don't first know the machine is stable.

With the recent Denis challenge for the OS I did use the Hard forum ubunto based linux thing they had already got going, which has a BOINC client installed. All I then had to do was work out how to add the optimised thing for Denis. That will be buried in one of the other threads now.

Am using the Optimised app, am using... http://www.boincunited.org/opt_apps/denis/denis_1.05_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu__sse41_v3.tar.bz2

takes around 20mins per project. Run time(sec) 2,082..

however, notice someone running 6128, his run time is 1,070 takes around per project.

JTG

JTG

Associate
i would suggest replacing that PCIe power cord with one specific to CPU

the [H] alternative folding appliance ... (ubuntu 12.04)
is fine for a dedicated crunching rig ... but I had to replace it with 14.04 as the system wont boot // OS wont install ... with a Newer Video card installed

this folding appliance is about NUMA compiled Kernel, Hardware that will support NUMA
and software that is NUMA Aware and core locking ... Tear presented this to WCG to get it adopted ... after tests ... they rejected it as inconclusive better performance ...
dont get me wrong, Tear is crazy smart ... but ... WCG is saying it doesnt help enough to be adopted ....

also ... if you dont have NUMA compliant hardware ... useing Tears vershion of Boinc wont help at all (opterons are NUMA Aware)

you have the Blue RAM Slots populated ... good

im seeing 575w at the wall
i know with a 980 and TCP the system will draw 900-920w
(with some variations based on your Peripheral devices Vs Mine)

so thats making me wonder if you are using TCP to lock your processors in Turbo Boost Full load mode. (TCP doesnt work on 6100s) which will lock it into 2.6 Ghz (no overclocking) a gain of 300Mhz per core ...

that is a verifiable improvement in performance
and your system is under water so ... shouldnt be any issues

Win7 will only see 2 CPUs so you will need a Server Version of Win to use all 4 CPUs
or you can just use Linux for free and have a Unix based OS the out performs windows for computations
I know, I Know .... its a tough choice

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i would suggest replacing that PCIe power cord with one specific to CPU

the [H] alternative folding appliance ... (ubuntu 12.04)
is fine for a dedicated crunching rig ... but I had to replace it with 14.04 as the system wont boot // OS wont install ... with a Newer Video card installed

this folding appliance is about NUMA compiled Kernel, Hardware that will support NUMA
and software that is NUMA Aware and core locking ... Tear presented this to WCG to get it adopted ... after tests ... they rejected it as inconclusive better performance ...
dont get me wrong, Tear is crazy smart ... but ... WCG is saying it doesnt help enough to be adopted ....

also ... if you dont have NUMA compliant hardware ... useing Tears vershion of Boinc wont help at all (opterons are NUMA Aware)

you have the Blue RAM Slots populated ... good

im seeing 575w at the wall
i know with a 980 and TCP the system will draw 900-920w
(with some variations based on your Peripheral devices Vs Mine)

so thats making me wonder if you are using TCP to lock your processors in Turbo Boost Full load mode. (TCP doesnt work on 6100s) which will lock it into 2.6 Ghz (no overclocking) a gain of 300Mhz per core ...

that is a verifiable improvement in performance
and your system is under water so ... shouldnt be any issues

Win7 will only see 2 CPUs so you will need a Server Version of Win to use all 4 CPUs
or you can just use Linux for free and have a Unix based OS the out performs windows for computations
I know, I Know .... its a tough choice

I Run this Rig with Linux Mint 17.2 with a R9 280x(Linux newbie here) have changed the PSU to a 1500w that I had spare.

Sorry to say, I am not sure what TCP is. :(

However I do have the overclocked bios installed and is overclocked to 225. Not sure if I can push it any more then that.

Associate
I Run this Rig with Linux Mint 17.2 with a R9 280x(Linux newbie here) have changed the PSU to a 1500w that I had spare.

Sorry to say, I am not sure what TCP is. :(

However I do have the overclocked bios installed and is overclocked to 225. Not sure if I can push it any more then that.

It was a typo, he meant TPC - TurionPowerControl

Edit: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1734321

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom