Denis@home team challenge: 31st Oct - 7th Nov

Soldato
Denis@home team challenge.
http://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/730

Starts: 6pm (utc) 31st Oct 2015
Ends: 6pm (utc) 7th Nov 2015

Thought I would start a new thread for this challenge. Currently there are 12 15 20 teams, including ourselves, that have signed up for this.

The objective as usual is to score as many points within the time frame for the BOINC project Denis@home.

Any newcomers please see the 'DENIS' thread for tips on how to optimise your production.

Go Team OcUK!

Last edited:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
I'll see what I can move onto this. The kit I have access to these days is by most standards getting on a bit now so I don't know what output is achievable.

The 64P rig hasn't been used for months and is gathering dust. I don't know if it would fire up, let alone run Denis. It may have a lot of cores, but isn't efficient on energy vs output now due to it's age. I suspect many of the dual CPU modern rigs out there easily outclass it.

MGP

MGP

Soldato
DENIS seems to be a small resource project. I hope they can cope with all the extra computers that will be fired up for the challenge...

PDW

PDW

Associate
I would but my 780TI fried itself so I have a 260 for now... :(

GTX260 that is...
Sorry for your loss :(

On a positive note, you probably won't be folding with the 260 so that will be another core free for the challenge :D

Soldato
just need a cheapo PSU and then ill have 4 more cores to spare, not a great deal but last time on POGS every core counted, it might end up the same this time :cool:, I would have had my gf's laptop i5 but the thing has blown up I think!

Soldato
it stopped charging and when I opened it and tested it was getting voltage to the motherboard , which it was, it sparked and doesn't power on lol . remove the ssd and bin it or ebay for spares

Associate
Typical my Mrs unplugged my 2P rig when I left to come back to India. I think I've persuaded her to turn it back on for tomorrow's challenge starting. Fingers crossed...

MGP

MGP

Soldato
This could get interesting. At present, on RAC basis, and before the challenge has kicked in overclockers.net have the top 3 outputting computers, and 5 of the top ten machines. We have 3 of the top ten slots.

But there is a delay in RAC. I don't know how responsive it is or not. In 12 hours my 4P 64thread has already gained more credit than the RAC of the best machine.

What will happen I dunno.

But what is really good is that bunkering for this challenge isn't going to be that effective. They have a limit on the number of WUs allowed to be in progress per machine. I'm generally finding that a 1/2 day queue on a PC going 24/7 is too much.

The only way of building a cushion seems to be having got going in advance for a few days, so you have a build up of WUs waiting on a wingman to validate, and you just hope the wingman who gets them is active.

Associate
Got my lot up and running for this. Currently running a dual Xeon 2620 (12c/24t) 2.6Ghz setup, a 4930k clocked at 4.4Ghz and 6 of the 8 threads available on my 4700MQ. Have the AVX2 optimised app for the 2 Haswell based systems and the SSE4.1 optimised app for the 4930k (has AVX but no AVX2 support :()

Associate
This could get interesting. At present, on RAC basis, and before the challenge has kicked in overclockers.net have the top 3 outputting computers, and 5 of the top ten machines. We have 3 of the top ten slots.

But there is a delay in RAC. I don't know how responsive it is or not. In 12 hours my 4P 64thread has already gained more credit than the RAC of the best machine.

What will happen I dunno.

But what is really good is that bunkering for this challenge isn't going to be that effective. They have a limit on the number of WUs allowed to be in progress per machine. I'm generally finding that a 1/2 day queue on a PC going 24/7 is too much.

The only way of building a cushion seems to be having got going in advance for a few days, so you have a build up of WUs waiting on a wingman to validate, and you just hope the wingman who gets them is active.

Wow so slow but sooo many threads makes it all good :) this is gona be a good comp :D
1834 pending here atm
Will turn off folding on sunday as thats slowing down the 5960x a little bit for the duration

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom