Goldring NS1000 issues

Soldato
Hi Guys

I have built up a bit of a history with these headphones so far and none of it has been good. So you know, the company of which they were purchased also sell a lot of DVDs and are based in Jersey.

On my head now is my third pair and I believe this pair is broken, just like the second pair...the first never actually got delivered.

Now, because the issue is the same on my second and third pair, I want to ensure its not me being stupid. The issue is that the headphone that has the battery in it distorts very easily. I have tried a lot of varying music and it still likes to distort. Everything from Joe Satriani to The Wrath of the Lich King soundtrack creates distortion. Two songs to show the distortion most on is "Time To Say Goodbye" and "They" (by Jem). I think its a certain pitch of sound that sets it off, but this being my second pair that I have actually got hold of to try, and it has the same issue as the first I tried leaves me thinking I am at fault?

I have them setup with the standard battery you get with the headphones and the standard cable. I have tried them on my PC with its ASUS D1, my Creative Zen MP3 player and my girlfriends iPod. They all have the same issue. I am ensuring that they never go too loud so they distort due to volume either.

So does it look like there is an issue here? I dont know if I am dissappointed with Goldring or the Jersey company right now. You guys seem to praise the Goldrings and so I would be shocked to think it was their fault but the evidence is not good.

Ideas?

EDIT: Oh yea and I got this pair today about 3hours ago but only just got round to testing them. The previous pair I got my hands on were on Xmas day and where obviously broken from the minute they were on my head.

Last edited:
Soldato
What do you mean by distort and have you tested with other headphones? Are you sure it isn't an issue with the actual tracks?

For example - higher quality headphones allow me to hear source distortion on the drum intro to Van Halen's Hot for Teacher. Never knew it was there when I had Medusas but every decent pair of stereo headphones I've owned has shown it at the same point.

Not saying your headphones don't have a problem but best to elimiate all possible other reasons for it.

Is noise cancelling on or off? The bass does distort with it off if you don't have a suitable amp.

Soldato
OP
What do you mean by distort and have you tested with other headphones? Are you sure it isn't an issue with the actual tracks?

For example - higher quality headphones allow me to hear source distortion on the drum intro to Van Halen's Hot for Teacher. Never knew it was there when I had Medusas but every decent pair of stereo headphones I've owned has shown it at the same point.

Not saying your headphones don't have a problem but best to elimiate all possible other reasons for it.

Is noise cancelling on or off? The bass does distort with it off if you don't have a suitable amp.

Yea my other headphones, albeit they are cheap creative fatal1tys, dont distort. I have thought it could be the actual tracks themselves, but I wouldnt expect the issue to happen on almost every track I own.

The issue happens with the noise cancelling on or off, but with it on its far more obvious. I would have expected my ASUS D1 would be suitable for the headphones to be used with? The reason I got the ASUS and the goldrings was due to advice here on the forums.

Soldato
Mine seem to distort with hardly any volume. So...now these are the second pair I will be sending back, what do I do? Should I trust a 3rd pair?

Maybe get your money back from the jersey site where i bought mine btw,there seems to be a fair few probs with these headphones from there so im led to believe,so maybe they have a bad batch?.

Then maybe buy them from somewhere else and see what there like:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4801

I genuinely believe you have been very unlucky as you dont see many complaints with these headphones only praise.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dont know its worth a try have a look at there RMA details on there site

Looking at this:http://www.goldring.co.uk/about/customer_services.htm

You may have to deal directly with the retailer where you bought them,email them and ask you cant lose nothing trying.

Yea I guess you are right. Soon as I sort this issue out though I wont be dealing with the Jersey company again as even though this is the 2nd pair that has been broken, its my 3rd set I ordered. The first never got to me and I had to wait 28days to prove that, then they took 12days (after having a signed delivery on their end), an email and a phonecall to notice I had returned my 2nd set to them, and still they say they didnt get them back. Now my 3rd set I am actually worried about sending back to them. Poor service.

Soldato
A soundcard like the D1 isn't adequate for amping them in passive mode. Still shouldn't have distortion proplems with ANR on though. Sounds like a genuine fault to me.

Soldato
Amped or not, distortion like that shouldn't be apparent in these headphones.

I'd contact Goldring as well as the offending retailer, see what they have to say. If Goldring care about their reputation (they should as in the UK it's now going south very quickly!) they should be able to shed some light on this and sort it out. If you get a generic response to go to the retailer like many others have, it's time to start worrying.

Soldato
May be a QC issue then as we already suspect.

Hopefully OcUK will get some in soon and put this to rest, as Goldring and the main retailer don't seem to have much to say on the matter.

Back
Top Bottom