Headset spec please

Associate
Anyone got any experience with these? They seem quite expensive but if they're worth it then I'd be interested.

STEELSERIES SIBERIA 800 WIRELESS 7.1 DOLBY SURROUND SOUND GAMING HEADSET

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/stee...und-sound-gaming-headset-61302-sp-081-st.html

Dude, I've just bought a pair of these and yes I know I could have got better sound quality with headphones but I wanted wireless so that was that. Anyway I'm just in the process of setting these up and trying them. The reason I've replied mainly was before I got these I did lots of research and basically narrowed it down to 2, the 800s or the logo tech g933s. Well due to cost and some favourable reviews I got the 933s. Just to let you know this is my own experience not ever body's. Well after installing software and some equaliser tweaks I was enjoying them.....then the fun started they would disconnected after about 5 minutes and continue to do this at least 6 more times before they stayed connected. I went on the official site and after following their troubleshooting reinstalled software and tried them again...This was after a few days..well that did nothing so I returned them and got a replacement set...These lasted 3 days before more issues. ...so these went back and I got refund and bought the 800s. At this point I was very close to getting the razer man o wars but got the 800s at a good price so opted for them....so in a nutshell stay away from the logitech g933s in my opinion. Help this might help you and btw I paid less than £200 for the 800s

Soldato
I'm a little concerned that the modmic might just lose it's stickiness after a while? Also, it's a bit expensive for a mic at £40+

I might sound like a lot but it works and if you see sense and buy some good headphones from a proper headphone manufacturer and slap on on it will be better.

If you want wireless just get the best wireless Sennheisers you can afford and slap on a modmic.

Soldato
OP
Ok, it's a tough choice this which is why I'm taking my time. I'm now considering placing audio quality over everything else, and am looking at the HD650. Are these still relevant? I know it's pushing my budget past £200, but may be worth it?

I know it's a personal choice thing, but I still like to hear opinions from actual user experiences as well as reading review sites.

So, budget pushed to £250

Soldato
If it's for FPS gaming then you won't get better than the AKG K702 and a DAC & Amp (which needn't cost a fortune). The K702 has a huge, well defined sound stage which is what you want for competitive gaming and is far superior to the HD650 in this regard. For music it's the HD650 all day long but gaming requires different qualities.

My recommendation would be AKG K702 (£140) and a FiiO E10K (£60) USB DAC & Amp plus a mic of your choice which would connect to the motherboard audio.

ps. I own the HD650, AKG K702 and E10K so am not just pulling opinions out of the air :D

pps. if you found that the K702 didn't have enough bass, a) there is a bass boost feature on the E10K and b) there is a simple to do mod you can perform on the AKGs (I've done mine) that boosts the sub bass by around 5db without affecting the rest of the frequency range.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Ive got the Sennheiser GAME ZERO, which are pretty good.

I do also have the HD650's arriving today but they will just be for music.

Soldato
OP
Thing is, I already have a pair of Sony MDR-1NRC which I travel with as I fly twice per month and the noise cancelling is the feature I need most from them. I'll see what difference this FiiO E10K makes with them, and I'll order my new cans to have a proper comparison.

Obviously, if the comparison between the Sony and A.N Other is not that impressive then I can keep the Sony's... but I expect to hear a difference as the Sony set are made for a specific purpose i.e. noise cancelling.

The Sony cans are very comfortable and the build quality is excellent, which is another comparison I want to make.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
First impressions are that the FiiO E10K isn't much different from the Rampage V Extreme on board sound, should it be? Possibly the headphones not doing it justice?

I've ordered the K702's so will get a good comparison of everything when they arrive.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's covered here....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/660408/reversible-akg-k701-bass-mod/60#post_10148238

and here...

note: there is no foam disk on the K702.

I used a couple of push pins to push through the grill, the ones with round plastic balls on the end, which makes it a lot less painful as quite a bit of force is needed to unlock the grill. Don't worry about pushing pins a couple of mm through the grill, there is nothing you can damage in the immediate space behind it.

Back
Top Bottom