MIC / USB audio interface help

Soldato
Hi,

I have an external USB audio interface (a Novation Nio 2|4), which is bascially a low latency external soundcard designed for music production. When I plug my headset mic into it I get no sound from the mic (to the PC). If I plug my guitar into the same socket, everything is good. The mic works fine when plugged into a regular PCI soundcard btw.

I'm pretty sure the problem is that headset mics have a stereo jack, whereas any input designed for a proper mic or guitar is mono. I bought a stereo->mono jack (3.5mm stereo to 6.35mm mono) but it made no difference. Maybe I just got unlucky and this particular jack is taking the wrong channel? You'd think it would take both and mix them.

Anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks.

Man of Honour
It might be a line in rather than mic input and/or there is a difference between the different types of mics which might require a pre-amp or similar (condenser, dynamic, phantom power, etc.). while the guitar probably has line level output and doesn't require further amplification or power.

EDIT:

Nio has a microphone input and a line input for recording guitars (or any external instrument). It also has 2 headphone outputs for monitoring recordings, and further outputs to go to your main monitors.

Looks like the rear XLR style connection is the microphone socket and the 6.35mm connection is a line input.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Oh? the image I found had the microphone symbol on the back one only - not bothered to pull up the manual or anything to check though.

Soldato
I can see it on quite a few images. There's guitar and microphone symbols with input 2 above the socket.

Just had a look at the manual and it mentions microphone or instrument for input 2.

There's a selector switch on the right hand side, to switch between microphone or instrument input. Could be that the OP didn't have the microphone selected?

Soldato
OP
Yeah it has a 6.35mm mic input on the front, which can also be used for a guitar via a switch (I tried all settings on that switch, and every other switch), and then an XLR input on the back.

Not sure whether guitars having preamps would matter since the Nio has it's own input gain controls. I guess I'll find out when that jack I ordered arrives.

Thanks again.

Associate
Hello mate, professional sound engineer/producer here.

Check this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZLMkZ_Bemw

The guy goes through the process of connecting up a mic. As stated earlier, if it is a condenser mic it will need phantom power (48v).

If it is a dynamic or ribbon it should just work once you have adjusted the gain of the mic pre to the right level.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Tom

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the help.

Dunno the mic type, I have two - an Antlion Modmic 4.0, and the headset mic on my Steelseries Siberia V2. I've tried that cable I bought and it makes no difference, no sound with either connector. Either the signal from the mic is too low, or something on the Nio 2|4 isn't working.

That video doesn't really talk about using the front input with a mic, but I've tried all those settings and I'm not getting anything into Ableton, or through the sound control panel.

It's not a big deal, it's only for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom