Replacing a front drivers side wheel hub on a Nissan Almera W(2000)

Soldato
I have broken a stud on my front driver side wheel, i think instead of trying to repair it by bashing out the old stud it might be easier for me to replace the wheel hub. How easy will this be? bearing in mind that it has ABS.

Associate
assuming the wheel is off and by hub you mean disk, then fairly straight forward. i would replace the pads at the same time, so you would need 2 disks £20-40 pads £10-30. remove caliper remove caliper bracket, remove disk. fit new disks and pads. Remeber to bleed the caliper when pushing the piston back. ABS won't make much difference as long as you support the caliper and no cables or pipes to it are tight.

HTH if I understood the question corectly.

Soldato
OP
assuming the wheel is off and by hub you mean disk, then fairly straight forward. i would replace the pads at the same time, so you would need 2 disks £20-40 pads £10-30. remove caliper remove caliper bracket, remove disk. fit new disks and pads. Remeber to bleed the caliper when pushing the piston back. ABS won't make much difference as long as you support the caliper and no cables or pipes to it are tight.

HTH if I understood the question corectly.

Sorry i think you have misunderstood, the break disks/pads are fine, the problem is 1 of the studs snapped when i was changing the wheel, so i either need to replace the stud by bashing the old one out and putting a new one in through the back, or changing the wheel hub completely which will have the studs attached.

Associate
Take off the wheel, caliper and disk, there shouldbe a huge castle nut in the middle of the hub, undo that and the hub should knock off with a hammer. Fit the new one in the reverse sequence. It should take no more than 2 hours, even if you have a very basic knowledge of cars. Plus make sure the big nut is tightened correctley and the split pin is put back through the big castle nut or yor wheel bearings will wear out quickley.

Soldato
[huzeeee];10248117 said:
Take off the wheel, caliper and disk, there shouldbe a huge castle nut in the middle of the hub, undo that and the hub should knock off with a hammer. Fit the new one in the reverse sequence. It should take no more than 2 hours, even if you have a very basic knowledge of cars. Plus make sure the big nut is tightened correctley and the split pin is put back through the big castle nut or yor wheel bearings will wear out quickley.

The nut usually takes a lot of force to undo btw......i think i had my dads lifting off the ground before it cracks loose!

The pad carrier is attached to the hub(i think) so thats gotta come off aswell. Could also do with a hub puller if it doesnt come off with a hammer.

Associate
Just replace the stud. Be a lot easier. Just use a punch to bash it out. then put the new stud in from the back and shove a load of washers on the stud and tighten up the nut. it will gradually tighten up the stud onto the splines. That way your not having to take the hub off and you dont have to bash it to hell.

Man of Honour
The nut usually takes a lot of force to undo btw......i think i had my dads lifting off the ground before it cracks loose!

The pad carrier is attached to the hub(i think) so thats gotta come off aswell. Could also do with a hub puller if it doesnt come off with a hammer.
4 foot steel pipe on a ratchet. Then stand on it. It's a must need for big bolts on cars.

Back
Top Bottom