Netgears new VDSL / ADSL Modem Router with AC wireless (D6400)

Associate
Right have tried it on friends setup, which is a BT Retail (FTTC/Infinity) connection with an OLD style youview box (the VCR type shape rather than the new square ones) and it worked fine with latest firmware on the D6400. NEWER youview boxes may be different.

1. reset D6400 (small red button on back)
2. follow the wizard config MAKE SURE TO TICK THE IPTV OPTION.
3. finish going through the wizard
4. goto advanced, setup, internet setup
5. Click on the drop down box thats says "internet"
6. Select IPTV
7. Ensure IPTV option "Enable this interface" is ticked/checked
8. Place a tick/check in the "Bridge Mode(bind LAN4 to WAN2)" box
9. Ensure VLAN for IPTV is set to 101
10. Apply config
11. Exit (logout of router config)
12. Connect youview box to d6400

Thats all the steps which were required for my friends setup. I could not save the config at his house, his laptop is a chromebox/book (whatever they are called) and would not allow me to save a ".cfg" file to its drive (moaned about it being a system file, i dunno anything about chromebooks so could not resolve it).

If after doing the above you still have issues go to advanced, setup, VLAN/Bridge settings you will see both your internet and IPTV settings in there which will look very similar to the BillionPDF i uploaded earlier http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28347343&postcount=186
Ensure and figures mentioned in that BillionPDF (like the VLAN) and related settings/numbers for IPTV match what is in this bridge section on the netgear.

Without the IPTV options (IE unticked during setup) the youview box still worked for stuff like iplayer but would not work for the live IPTV channels or PPV content.

If you still have issues then i suggest you pester Plusnet, because how that is setup should work and it does on BT.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone give a postcard summary of the D6400? Is it worth the money? Whats the performance like and stability?

Performance is good, not the best at wifi distance wise but it is far from terrible. It reaches further than my homehub 3 did on 2.4ghz, is about the same distance wise on 5ghz and 2.4ghz with my TPlink.

Stability wise i can not fault it one bit, once connected you stay connected, its rock solid reliable in that regard.

Interface IMO is nothing special, seen better and seen worse (In fact ive seen a lot worse) everything is presented in a pretty simple form, layout IMO is not too bad (i could think of a couple of improvements).

Only annoyance is when certain settings have to be applied the device can take around 30 seconds or so to do it with a small but annoying blue progress bar. Once you are set up this annoyance becomes irrelevant.

Wired performance is superb, runs at full gigabit speeds, USB storage works fine, useful for odd media streaming.

Overall im pleased with the purchase the form factor (the way it stands upright) i personally do not like, in fact that is probably the thing i like least about it LOL. The rest of it just works and once setup just reliably goes about its business.

Money wise....hmmmmm that depends........ If you can live with 100Mb ports and only 300Mb wireless id say save a £100 get a £50-60 Billion 8800NL.

If you need gigabit ports and AC wifi though its reasonably good value, with competitors devices of similar spec costing in the £100 and up bracket also. At £150ish id say it is one of the better devices.

Last edited:
Associate
Performance is good, not the best at wifi distance wise but it is far from terrible. It reaches further than my homehub 3 did on 2.4ghz, is about the same distance wise on 5ghz and 2.4ghz with my TPlink.

Stability wise i can not fault it one bit, once connected you stay connected, its rock solid reliable in that regard.

Interface IMO is nothing special, seen better and seen worse (In fact ive seen a lot worse) everything is presented in a pretty simple form, layout IMO is not too bad (i could think of a couple of improvements).

Only annoyance is when certain settings have to be applied the device can take around 30 seconds or so to do it with a small but annoying blue progress bar. Once you are set up this annoyance becomes irrelevant.

Wired performance is superb, runs at full gigabit speeds, USB storage works fine, useful for odd media streaming.

Overall im pleased with the purchase the form factor (the way it stands upright) i personally do not like, in fact that is probably the thing i like least about it LOL. The rest of it just works and once setup just reliably goes about its business.

Money wise....hmmmmm that depends........ If you can live with 100Mb ports and only 300Mb wireless id say save a £100 get a £50-60 Billion 8800NL.

If you need gigabit ports and AC wifi though its reasonably good value, with competitors devices of similar spec costing in the £100 and up bracket also. At £150ish id say it is one of the better devices.

Thank you for the review! I'll probably pick one of these up, Netgear have always worked for me in the past so I'll give it a bash! I need something to replace my very old and ageing Netgear DG834PN, I believe is the model number. Doesn't even have Wireless N!? :eek:

I actually really like its upright stance ha, looks very modern and tidy. I hate seeing wifi antennas poking out in every direction.

I will have a look at the Billion too though, as I don't have any AC devices that I know of, only that might be is my iPhone 6. But not an essential feature, like I say I'm still living on Wireless G.

Associate
New firmware for the D6400 today...
New Firmware Version 1.0.0.38_1.1.38
Release Notes:
1. [New Features & Enhancements] NMRP Support Region code update from NMRP.
2. [New Features & Enhancements]Update ADSL // VDSL quick scan list according to latest NETGAR quick scan list.
3. [New Features & Enhancements]Upgrade DSL driver
4. [New Features & Enhancements]Add SSL Email support.
5. [New Features & Enhancements]Add LED Control page.
6. [New Features & Enhancements]Attached device table to separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz clients.
7. [New Features & Enhancements]Belgium Belgacom If user enabled IPTV from Setup Wizard, it will set the a VLAN group (VLAN 30 // Priority 3) and bridge with LAN4 automatically.
8. [Bug Fix]Disable ETH-WAN in CFE and enabled it after booting up ready. So that the packet will not be forwarded from LAN to WAN while system booting.
9. [Bug Fix]ISP TalkTalk IPTV option in Setup Wizard will enable IGMP proxy on WAN1.
10. [Bug Fix]Enable traffic meter, when the traffic reach the limit, there will pop-up a web page, the web page should be include product model, etc.
11. [Bug Fix]Clicking on Exit

More info on fixes etc here...
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30006

Not upgraded myself yet but nice they are still improving it. Download firmware either via your D6400 routers interface or go here...
http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/D6400#searchResults
For prior and new firmware.

Direct link to new firmware is...
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D6400/D6400-V1.0.0.38_1.1.38.zip

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom