** SAPPHIRE 390 8GB and 380 4GB /with BACKPLATE NOW AVAILABLE!! **

Soldato
ive fitted my gpu and its a beast, its quite heavy compared to my old card. :D

Happy with the card as well

Last edited:
Soldato
Can the slot really support cards of this weight? Hundreds of thousands of people must be using cards this size (and larger/heavier) but it's the biggest I've ever installed and does concern me.

Associate
Having just got one of the 390s...
Display Outputs: 2x Dual Link DVI, 1x HDMI, 1x DisplayPort

Should be

Display Outputs: 1x Dual Link DVI, 1x HDMI, 3x DisplayPort

HDMI does not work at the same time as the DVI too >.>

Soldato
Can the slot really support cards of this weight? Hundreds of thousands of people must be using cards this size (and larger/heavier) but it's the biggest I've ever installed and does concern me.

likewise for me, the card is huge and is not light either.

no issues with it at all. seems to intermittently emit a "Morse code" type noise around the area of the 2 x 8 pin power connects

Soldato
That will be coil whine.

never heard coil whine before but then again ive never spent this much on a GPU.

its fine now and not doing it at all, sometimes on the desktop it does it but also in games its fine

edit............

just realised it maybe fine now as none of the fans are spinning. will keep an eye on it :)

edit again,

PC been off fir a bit, came back on and can hear the noise even though all three fans are not running, is that still coil whine?

Last edited:
Associate

I think the backplate reduces any flex as the card hangs in the slot. If you route the PCI-E power cables so they come from above they add a bit of support too.

Mine seems to be running great. Going to sell the outgoing 7850 and they seem to be going for 50-60 quid still, so hopefully I'll end up with a 390 for about 140 quid! Marvelous...

Soldato
Is this still worth it at £275? or should i go for a 970 at £275 instead?

i would still go for the 390 if its in your budget purely because of the 390 has 8GB of ram and the 970 has 4GB.

what ress are you gaming at as the 970 is a 1080p max gpu so anything higher then the 390 unless you turn down icandy on the 970 for higher screen ress

Last edited:
Associate
I am running mine at 1440p and I have changed the clocks to 1100/1600. Looks to do 1150 if I bump the volts up to the max of 100mv but its not really worth it. I did a valley benchmark the other day which gave me 1993 at 1100 and a 980 is 2003 points. You have the added bonus of 8gbs of vram, easy choice imo :)

Associate
I got my 390 today, only downside being the bugger is too big to fit into my Antec 300, it should support cards up to 318mm and the 390 Nitro is supposed to be 308mm but it definitely ain't squeezing in.

The drive cage is too close and not removable, not without drilling a load of rivets.

I had to drill some rivets out and remove the hdd caged aswell, not the end of the world. Worth it, the cards a beast compared to my old gtx580 it replaced (which i sold for £60 on gumtree so upgrade was £146)

Associate
I am so gutted I didn't pick up one of these for £200... :(

OCUK, a certain competitor is selling these for £262... Any reason not to compete? I don't mean the non-tax paying competitor; if you have a quick scan around, you'll see :O

Back
Top Bottom