Netgears new VDSL / ADSL Modem Router with AC wireless (D6400)

Associate
I should be getting stock tomorrow of the new VDSL/ADSL modem router from Netgear with AC1600 WIFI and built in Antennas. Check out the specs below. Maybe this could be the hassle free alternative to the Asus model

NETGEAR AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router 802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit (D6400) @ £149.99 inc VAT

NW-264-NG_400.jpg

Performance & Use

• AC WiFi—The World’s Fastest WiFi
  • 300+1300 Mbps WiFi speed
  • Fast VDSL modem for fibre broadband
  • VDSL/ADSL Auto Detection for Universal DSL Support

The NETGEAR Difference - D6400

• Beamforming+—Faster, more reliable connections
  • Share your USB hard drive and multi-function printer
  • Built-in VDSL/ADSL modem
  • Ultimate connectivity for dual band WiFi devices like iPad® and iPhone®

The Netgear AC1600 Wi-Fi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router with dual band Gigabit is an incredibly fast modem router delivering AC1600 Wi-Fi and Gigabit Ethernet speeds. This DSL modem router provides a fast VDSL modem for fibre broadband and it also works with ADSL connections. It offers the ultimate performance in wireless coverage for large homes with 10 or more devices.

This AC1600 modem router offers 3x faster access than with similar 802.11n technology and more reliable streaming. It delivers an ultra-fast, secure, reliable connection to the Internet, and the speed and reliability needed for applications such as smooth, lag-free, multiple HD video streaming, and multi-player gaming. The AC1600 Modem Router also includes the Netgear genie home network manager for easy installation and home network management.

Compatible with AC Wi-Fi devices and backward compatible with 802.11 a/b/g/n devices, this VDSL/ADSL modem router enables HD streaming throughout your home. With up to 300 + 1300 Mbps speed and simultaneous dual band Wi-Fi technology, it avoids wireless interference, ensuring top speeds and reliable connections. In addition, Beamforming+ technology boosts speed, reliability and range of Wi-Fi connections. These technologies also provide ultimate connectivity for dual band wireless devices.

Beamforming+—For More Reliable Connections

• Focuses WiFi signals from the wireless router to WiFi devices like smartphones, tablets and laptops
  • Automatic signal management checks with your device to keep WiFi signal at its optimal strength
  • Designed for home environments to support multiple WiFi device connections for highest quality
  • Extends WiFi coverage, reduces deadspots, and boosts signal strength

NETGEAR genie® Home Networking Simplified

• Home network manager
  • Turbo Transfer—share files between computers and Android™ mobile devices via WiFi
  • Makes any printer AirPrint® compatible to print from an iPad® or iPhone®
  • MyMedia™—Find and play media files in your network
  • EZ Mobile Connect—Scan QR Code to connect to your home network
  • For PC, Mac®, iPhone®, iPad®, & Android™ devices

Speed
Speed makes HD video better. Speed makes online gaming awesome. Speed makes all your devices really go. And anyplace you need speed, with NETGEAR you got it. Extreme download speeds up to 300+1300 Mbps†. Next-generation 11ac WiFi with dual band technology providing whole home coverage with Gigabit wired and wireless connection. Everything you need for a fast, fast, fast connected home.

Ultimate WiFi Speed

• WORLD’S FASTEST WIFI—Up to 300+1300 Mbps
  • AC WIFI—The world's fastest WiFi
  • GIGABIT WIRED—Ideal for HD gaming & video
  • CABLE OR FIBRE—Also connects to cable modem via Gigabit Ethernet WAN port
  • VDSL MODEM—Built-in VDSL, also compatible with ADSL2+ connections

WiFi Range
Homes come in all shapes and sizes. The NETGEAR AC1600 VDSL/ADSL WiFi Modem Router with additional high-power amplifiers provides WiFi connectivity throughout your home for all your Internet-enabled devices.

Ultimate WiFi Range

• ULTIMATE RANGE—WiFi coverage throughout your home

Sharing
Relive memories and share them with others. Find photos, videos and music stored on a shared USB hard drive and enjoy them on your DLNA TV right from your couch. If it's secure and shared storage access you want, NETGEAR has easy ways to do it.

Share & stream your movies, music, photos

• DLNA®—Find & play your media on DLNA TVs & game consoles
  • READYSHARE® USB ACCESS—Wirelessly access & share USB hard drives via two (2) USB ports
  • READYSHARE® PRINTER—Wirelessly access & share a USB printer

Reliable Connections
Stay connected—with your devices, your media, and your friends. Simultaneous Dual Band WiFi provides two separate WiFi networks—2.4GHz for legacy devices and 5GHz which is less interference-prone for media streaming. The advanced QoS technology provides higher priority for media streaming application for smoother HD video streaming and low-latency online gaming.

Enjoy high-performance connectivity throughout your home

• SIMULTANEOUS DUAL BAND— Reduces interference for better connections to more WiFi devices
  • BEAMFORMING+—Boosts speed, reliability, & range of WiFi connections
  • ADVANCED QoS—Optimized for smooth HD streaming & gaming

Ease Of Use
NETGEAR makes it easy to do more with your digital devices. Manage your network with NETGEAR genie® App—a personal, icon-based dashboard that can control and monitor all your devices. Or, use Push ‘N’ Connect to add devices to your WiFi network with a push of a button. And the simple browser-based installation with no CD makes router installation easy using an iPad, tablet, smartphone, or computer.

Simple network management

• EASY INSTALL—Easy setup for iPad®, tablets, smartphones & computers
  • NETGEAR GENIE® APP—Personal dashboard to monitor, control & repair your home network
  • PUSH ‘N’ CONNECT—Easy push button WiFi connections (WPS)
  • WIFI & POWER ON/OFF—Convenient power savings

Security
Keep your Internet browsing experience safe and secure with the free parental controls. It allows you to limit access to certain web sites at certain times. For example, no social networking or gaming site access after dinner time. Guest networks create a completely separate WiFi network for your guests’ devices, ensuring they do not have access to your home network or to the shared USB hard drive with all your personal data. Secure WiFi connections offer the highest level of WPA/WPA2 security.

Safeguard your network

• PARENTAL CONTROLS—Safer web surfing for all your connected devices
  • GUEST NETWORK ACCESS—Separate & secure access for guests
  • SECURE WIFI CONNECTIONS—Highest level wireless security with WPA/WPA2

Applications
With the AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router create a powerful home network for applications such as lag-free, multiple HD streaming, multiplayer online gaming, ultra-fast, reliable connection to the Internet and a secure wireless connection.

Ideal Uses

• EMAIL, CHAT, SURF, MUSIC, VIDEO—Enjoy a fast, reliable and secure wireless connection to the Internet
  • ONLINE GAMING—Optimized for multi-player gaming with no lags
  • HD STREAMING—Enjoy high-quality HD streaming Ideal Uses
  • MULTIPLE HD STREAMING—Optimized for a smooth, lag-free multiple HD streaming experience

Only £149.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Associate
This spec says that it can support 10 or more connections. How many can it actually support? I find it increasingly annoying that routers cant handle the amount of simultaneous connections that I require in my house.

Caporegime
Does it support SKY FIBRE?

Sky Fibre is just a standard VDSL service so yes, if you can extract your username and password (and sky won't supply these to you) then I believe it shouldwork but check first as it needs to support MER.

I should also state its a clear violation of Sky's T's and C's to use a non Sky supplied modem on Sky Fibre.

Associate
I'm assuming this would work with BT FTTC? Might have to look into getting this as we constantly experience issues with this Home Hub we got given for "free"

Associate
Has anyone got one or put them to the test?
Yeah, I've picked one up. It works OK on ADSL, but there are some things about it that I hope Netgear improve with some firmware updates:
  • The Netgear logo on the front lights up much brighter than the other subtle status icons, so hopefully they'll add an option to disable the Netgear logo backlight.
  • The configuration UI is very poor. It's got pretty much all of the options you want, but definitely not in the most useable layout.
  • I've had issues with WAN speeds slowing to a crawl due to what I think is too many connections (BitTorrent). I need to investigate to see if I can improve the configuration on my server in order to mitigate the issue.

I'm assuming this would work with BT FTTC? Might have to look into getting this as we constantly experience issues with this Home Hub we got given for "free"
I should be upgrading to FTTC with PlusNet on Tuesday, so hopefully I can report after then as to its vDSL performance.

Soldato
I've just noticed that the D6400 isn't supporting G.inp at present so you will see issues connected to fibre. Apparently an update will be out in June which will give it support.

What is the WiFi signal like? I have a HG612 connected to my Asus N66U and get full coverage around a fairly big 4 bed house and into my garage.

Associate
I've just noticed that the D6400 isn't supporting G.inp at present so you will see issues connected to fibre. Apparently an update will be out in June which will give it support.
Yeah, just saw that information myself. Worst case I can use the Openreach MODEM until the new firmware is released.

What is the WiFi signal like? I have a HG612 connected to my Asus N66U and get full coverage around a fairly big 4 bed house and into my garage.
The only device I've got to do any empirical tests with is my Dell Venue 8 Pro, but that has an awful WiFi antenna so the results would not be much use.
In terms of anecdotal evidence then I get good AC signal on my phone all around the house (3 bed semi-detached) with the router positioned just by the front door. It's only when I walk down to the bottom of the garden that the WiFi signal falls away, but still retains connection.

Soldato
Yeah, just saw that information myself. Worst case I can use the Openreach MODEM until the new firmware is released.

The only device I've got to do any empirical tests with is my Dell Venue 8 Pro, but that has an awful WiFi antenna so the results would not be much use.
In terms of anecdotal evidence then I get good AC signal on my phone all around the house (3 bed semi-detached) with the router positioned just by the front door. It's only when I walk down to the bottom of the garden that the WiFi signal falls away, but still retains connection.

Thanks for the information.
I just saw another post from the same user stating it is now working with G.INP even though Netgear confirmed it won't work until June when the new firmware is released. Maybe they sent him a beta firmware for testing.

There is also information in that threads that suggests the stats for VDSL are some what lacking.

I would be interested to know how it compared to signal to an N66U.

Soldato
Just for clarification there is no suggestion that the D6400 is lacking in terms of vDSL performance, just that the reported stats information is quite sparse compared to other MODEMs.

Yeah that's what I said? Stats were lacking. One of the persons on kitz us requesting more in depth stats for the next firmware.

Soldato
Is it actually worth grabbing one of these to replace my rubbish HomeHub5, it restarts like every week and increasing afraid I'll lose my 80/20 speeds again, just want a reliable modem that will give me my maximum speeds without randomly going down.

Associate
Yeah that's what I said?
I knew what you meant, I just wanted to ensure no one read it as the performance stats being lacking (i.e. thinking it couldn't do 80Mbps when it can).

That thread on kitz is good, and the fact that one poster has just confirmed his router is now connected with G.INP enabled on the stock firmware is interesting.
The guy says he has hard-reset the router and re-flashed the stock firmware, but that *shouldn't* make a difference. Hopefully my transfer to FTTC will happen on Tuesday and I'll confirm what connection stats I achieve.

Soldato
I knew what you meant, I just wanted to ensure no one read it as the performance stats being lacking (i.e. thinking it couldn't do 80Mbps when it can).

That thread on kitz is good, and the fact that one poster has just confirmed his router is now connected with G.INP enabled on the stock firmware is interesting.
The guy says he has hard-reset the router and re-flashed the stock firmware, but that *shouldn't* make a difference. Hopefully my transfer to FTTC will happen on Tuesday and I'll confirm what connection stats I achieve.

Ah yes, I see where you are coming from. Apologies if I caused any confusion. My head is a bit mince at the moment with changing time zones a few times in the space of a few weeks.

Strange how its now reporting g.inp when it was confirmed as not supportable until next firmware. Odd one that really.

Soldato
Strange how its now reporting g.inp when it was confirmed as not supportable until next firmware. Odd one that really.

There are some VDSL modems that only support G.INP on the down stream, for trouble free G.INP you need support for upstream also. Some VDSL modems also have support for Vectoring that BT is apparently releasing this year, so it's wise to check these things before any modem purchase.

Back
Top Bottom