WD black 500gb just died.

Associate
Well my trusty western digital caviar black died 2 days ago. After a system crash the drive stated making a clicking noise and won't boot.
I've also tried it in a caddy and wasn't readable.
Decided now to take the plunge on a ssd for the first time and im wondering between these which you guy recommend as a main drive.
Kingston Hyperx savage 480gb
Samsung 750 evo 500gb
Sandisk ultra 2 480gb
I'm only intending too have a few games like Dota2, Ark and Rocket league as well as the OS and a few apps.

Soldato
I know it's not on your shortlist, but if you can stretch your budget to the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, this would be the better one to go for. The reason is that whilst the performance is similar to the 750 EVO, the 850 EVO has a 5 year warranty (vs 3 year) and a significantly longer endurance rating (roughly double).

Don
SSD for first time? Prepare to kick yourself for not getting one sooner. Many things will seem 100x quicker.

Can't really go wrong with an 850 Evo, it ticks every box.

Associate
Hey there, AngeluiMorte.

This is truly unfortunate. However, if the drive was not an OEM one (original equipment manufacturer), you could check your warranty with the vendor you got it from, or on our website and RMA it if it hasn't expired yet.
You can check it out here: Warranty Status.

If you're set on the SSD option, you should check out the suggestions from this article: https://www.maketecheasier.com/12-things-you-must-do-when-running-a-solid-state-drive-in-windows-7/. It has pretty useful tips for new SSD users. Note that even if it says Win 7, those tips are still viable for the newer versions as well.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Associate
Thanks mate. I try to help with whatever I can (storage related mostly). I don't really remember who I wrote to a year ago, before I joined the community, but that's what I've promised that I would do.

I really appreciate what you have said! Thank you and cheers! :)

Back
Top Bottom