Multiple SSD/HDD - advice required

Associate
Hi,

Just upgrading my computer. Previous setup had 60GB SSD for Windows/Other Software. 500GB HDD for music, documents etc. and a 1TB HDD for Steam. Have purchased a new 240GB SSD as the 5yr old 60GB was nearly full so should I just replace the 60GB SSD with the 240GB SSD or should I re-use the 60GB SSD in some way?

Your thoughts please.

Soldato
Download CrystalDiskInfo or HWInfo64 and check the health of the 60GB SSD. You'll see a percentage of life but unless it's dramatically reduced it'll be good to stick in an external caddie for example.

I've also got a 5year+ 60GB SSD that I've found invaluable as a transfer device over the last couple of years. Even better it's got an integral micro-USB port which negates the need for a caddie.

At 5 years it's obviously given good service but I would at the very least it out for the 240GB SSD for the OS. 60Gb is a bit of a pinch now Windows 10 for example downloads a lot of update data in the background for the those significant version updates.

Associate
Hi chalkster.

Make sure that you follow bimbleuk's advice. Basically if the SSD is healthy, no matter how much more it has to live, you could still use it until it dies at some point.
The external case is a good idea. Another option is to keep in your system and use it for games with lots of in-game loading screens (like skyrim) and games which generally load slower. Or if you record your gameplay you can use it as the destination drive for the videos.

That's just a though, of course you should use it for whatever you think will suit you best.

Cheers!
Boogieman_WD

Soldato
I'd test the 60GB SSD with some software to make sure that the SSD is fine to use and then buy an external drive to put the ssd in that you can use for some small storage or likewise.

Or you can keep the 60GB SSD as a purely OS SSD (install your OS and key programs on) and use the other sSD to store your games on, keep things seperate and your games are al ways backed up on the other SSD.

Back
Top Bottom