Boosting Wi-fi signal?

Associate
Hi guys,

I have a Billion 7800 router upstairs (changed antennas to 8+) but still getting poor wifi downstairs, usually get a connection but drops off now and again.

How can I boost this? I have some Devolo 1200 adapters which are wired and helped with computer done there but need something for connections for iPhone wifi connection?

what would be good/cheap to get a better signal?

Thanks

Caporegime
If you already have a homeplug pair getting data downstairs, either get a new homeplug that has a wifi extender built in, or add a cheap switch and access point between the existing downstairs homeplug and your PC.

Soldato
Will a Devolo dLAN 500 Wi-Fi Add-On Adapter work?

You could get one of those, but it's a bit niche.

paradigm's second option will leave you with more options in the future and that's what I'd go for. You just need the cheapest possible switch (£5-10) and an access point (AP). Some APs have a switch built in so no separate switch required.

P.S. The AP doesn't have to be anything fancy, many old router/switch/APs (the kind you might have knocking about already) can be used by simply disabling DHCP.

Soldato
Whatever you do, don't get a Wi-fi extender.

I like Paradigm's two solutions but I might be tempted to just turn the wifi off on your Billion and put a Ubiquiti Unifi access point upstairs somewhere central. The coverage on those things is amazing and is unlikely to leave you needing to do anything downstairs as it'll reach. And if it doesn't then just hook it up to your homeplug downstairs and leave the Billion on for upstairs. That's effectively implementing Paradigm's solution. If you don't need the speed of AC then it'll be less than £70 for their long range access point.

Soldato
'AP AC Pro' is the best one but costs a bit more. If you value range over speed then the non-AC 'AP LR' can be had for this budget, but it is a previous model (the new equivalent being 'AP AC LR')

Don
The only ones you should be looking at are the

AP AC Lite
AP AC PRO

Possibly the UAP-AC-LR

I would run a cable to it and do away with powerline to give it maximum performance.

Back
Top Bottom