Wired Network in house

Soldato
I'm in the process of renovating a decent sized house, I'm planning on taking the opportunity to fire in a wired network but the last time i did this it was years ago!

Basic questions:

What is the best/most cost effective cable - I know Cat6 is the new thing but is it worth the extra and what about 6a etc?

My basic setup will be everything run to a central location with a nas box and router.
I'm going to get a couple of the ceiling mounted access points too

Good suppliers of cables/faceplates etc?

Anything i should consider?

One plan I have is to install some ceiling speakers in the kitchen/utility/bathrooms with a small amp/chromecast audio in each (hidden in the ceiling) but think they only run off the wifi anyway

Caporegime
If your cable runs are all going to be <100M it makes no real difference if you go Cat5e, Cat6 or Cat6a. 5e will be the easiest to run (due to being thinner), and the cheapest to boot, just make sure whatever you get it solid cored rather than strand.

I'm in the process of getting the kit ready to implement my new home network and I'll likely be using 5e. Even 5e (if cabled correctly) will sustain a 10GbE network up to around 40m in length, I really don't see why home users are budgeting for Cat6+.

Soldato
When I was looking around a year ago the price difference between 5e and 6 (both 'decent' solid core etc) wasn't much at all, so I went with 6.

Whilst 5e can theoretically do 10GbE for shorter runs as I was chasing stuff into walls and everything I went with the slightly more futureproof one, but didn't think it was worth paying the good chunk extra for 6a/7 stuff.

Hell, I've got a 1m long cat5e patch cable that can't do 1GbE let alone 10gbE :p

Caporegime
Hell, I've got a 1m long cat5e patch cable that can't do 1GbE let alone 10gbE :p

I've been in IT for 15 years and have not once failed to make a patch cable or lay a "structured" cable using cat5e that's failed to run GbE. All of my recent patch leads have been tested working absolutely fine with 10GbE also.

Either the cable was purchased as a duff cable (if it was pre-molded), or was built incorrectly.

Don
When I was looking around a year ago the price difference between 5e and 6 (both 'decent' solid core etc) wasn't much at all, so I went with 6.

Whilst 5e can theoretically do 10GbE for shorter runs as I was chasing stuff into walls and everything I went with the slightly more futureproof one, but didn't think it was worth paying the good chunk extra for 6a/7 stuff.

This 1M cable of yours is broken my friend.

Cat5e can do gigabit over ~140 metres, I've not tested further. It's specced to do 100.

As someone who is in the middle of installing ~50 ports of Cat6 shielded in a friend's house, I would stay away from shielded unless you are NASA. It takes so much more time and pain to install.

I've done my own house recently and used cat5e throughout. I've used miles of the stuff in work. Nice and easy to work with, never had a single failure.

Soldato
Yeah, I get that it's broken, that was tongue in cheek :p It's an old cable I got with something or other, works fine at 100Mb but won't do higher at all.

My point was mostly that if the price between 5e and 6 is similar (it was when I was looking/buying) then why go for 5e? yes it's marginally easier to run but not by that much really. If I'm wrong and 5e is much cheaper then sure, that's a reason, but price is all I can really think of as a reason not to use 6.

Don

I've got one too - came with my Plusnet router and only has 2 out of the 4 pairs connected, so can only do 100Mbps :)

Why they supply it is anyone's guess (when they also supply another cable that has different coloured ends and is gigabit capable), talk about extreme cost cutting :)

Soldato
I did this recently. Ran shielded 5e. x2 to some rooms. 2 full reels in all. Properly terminated. Could not be bothered with 6.

The most demanding thing I'm likely to do is stream HD\uHD content to the TV, and I can't see this breaching 1gig after re-encoding.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why do people use shielded cable? Is it just because it sounds like it should be better?

Shielded Cat5e would be more hassle to install that UTP Cat6, and would probably cost more as well. It seems like an odd choice unless it dropped into your lap.

Soldato
OP
can anyone recommend a decent supplier of bulk cable - there's a kit on cablemonkey for 80 quid for 100mm of solid core cat6 a tester and a the wee tool - is that reasonable or am I missing the cheap suppliers?! cable seems preety consistently prices on places I can find!

Soldato
Why do people use shielded cable? Is it just because it sounds like it should be better?

Shielded Cat5e would be more hassle to install that UTP Cat6, and would probably cost more as well. It seems like an odd choice unless it dropped into your lap.

Proximity to mains lines as they share common paths to backboxes. Popper termination of shielded cable is not hassle if you know what you're doing.

The bend radii and dimensions of Cat 6\a makes life difficult. That was the issue in my case.

Back
Top Bottom