Netgear D7000 VDSL modem/router

Associate
I was already in contact with Allen Lai who said he took it seriously and the engineers would investigate. Then nothing but it was within a day that the new update was pulled so I had hoped that they had found something.

My SNR jumps all over the place as I have FEC errors from 12:00 to late in the evening. Obviously some farm machinery or pub equipment causing the interference. I can easily lose a couple of db every day. It slowly climbs back during the morning but often doesn't go bact to where it was unless I sync at below 8.5 mb. Any higher than 8.5 and the SNR drops ever lower over a few days. So much for "superfast"!!

Sigh - same problem I reported last year in this thread. Even sent Netgear logs, details, plots and ran diagnostic tests for them After 2 months I gave up and returned the unit. In my case it appeared to be down to bit swapping and bins being marked as unusable during noisey times (evenings) Most modems release these bins for re0see but it was very apparent that serious holes were appearing in my tone graphs. The D7800 does not show this behaviour.

Associate
OK, bought one today. Firmware is V1.0.0.18_1.0.1, should I leave it at that for the time being?

Feek, how are you getting on with the D7000? Thinking of switching out my HH5 for one of these too. How do your line speeds compare with before?

Commissario
I did the firmware upgrade.
It's working really well. No dropouts, solid wireless around the house and in areas that I barely had a signal from the HH5, I'm getting at least 75% of my maximum broadband speed. Can't fault it so far.

Associate
D7000 Firmware

Hi, would really appreciate if some one could let me have a copy of any other D7000 firmware avaliable eg V1.0.0.20_TEST_1014_1.0.1 or other test firmware i could try to see if i can resolve my VDSL issues.

Thanks

Associate
Hi, would really appreciate if some one could let me have a copy of any other D7000 firmware avaliable eg V1.0.0.20_TEST_1014_1.0.1 or other test firmware i could try to see if i can resolve my VDSL issues.

Thanks

Did you get this? If not, PM me and I'll send it. For me it is still by far the best although there is still some flaky coding regarding labels on connected devices and the like. But although my SNR drops to around 4db, it is pretty stable.

Associate
Can anyone help me with my D7000 and static IP supplied by Sky?

I just requested a static IP via the 'my sky' website and after 15 minutes I got an email stating my new IP.

I tried putting the static IP into my D7000 and now lost connection. What should my subnet and gateway be?

Soldato
Can anyone help me with my D7000 and static IP supplied by Sky?

I just requested a static IP via the 'my sky' website and after 15 minutes I got an email stating my new IP.

I tried putting the static IP into my D7000 and now lost connection. What should my subnet and gateway be?

You don't need to change anything, leave it on Dynamic IP just reboot your router.

Your IP is automatically assigned to your line.

Soldato
Hi all,

I've purchased a D7000 VDSL Modem/Router to replace my Sky Hub since it's absolutely awful but unfortunately I am having no luck connecting it.

I've extracted both Option 61 (Username|Password) and Option 60 (if required). When I am using the setup wizard I am copying the Username|Password into Option 61 and have tried either leaving the MAC address setting as default or tried mimicing the Sky Hub one. Unfortunately each time while the Internet Light goes white I cannot access either the Internet or the Router/Modem which causes me to reset it.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or futher help/guides to get through this issue?

*EDIT* It would appear I've got it working now I've added Option 60 and forced the MAC Address in the Advanced options :)

Last edited:
Associate
Did you get this? If not, PM me and I'll send it. For me it is still by far the best although there is still some flaky coding regarding labels on connected devices and the like. But although my SNR drops to around 4db, it is pretty stable.

Getting fustrated with the D7000 I would really appreciate a copy.

Thanks

Alan

Last edited:
Associate
It's been quiet here for a while so I thought I would share my latest woes and see whether anyone can offer a suggestion (or two!).

I have been having a battle with Sky lately over ever decreasing sync speed. I am a mile and a half from the fibre cab and have been getting just over 8mb D/L for more than a year. Then, in June the speed started to drop. I had a number of conversations with Sky and they agreed to change my profile from "standard" to "speed". I accepted that there may be more errors. Anyway, the change was made and the speed got worse. I asked Sky to revert to the original profile but they said they couldn't as they did not have access to the facility. Of course I pointed out that this was nuts as they changed it in the first place and after some formal complaints, Sky agreed to send someone out to completely overhaul my connection and have the profile changed. The engineer had no idea about profiles but when he left, he had changed some local pairs and he showed me that I should have a sync of around 9.8mb. Happy Days! However, I had temporarily reconnected the Sky router for the testing and this showed that I had indeed got around the 9.8mb mark.

So, I gleefully put back my D7000 only to find that I could not sync higher than 7.4mb. I have reloaded various firmwares but cannot get the D7000 to attain the correct sync speed. The D7000 has always been the same if not better than the Sky box but now, I am stumped as to what could be wrong and as you can imagine, when you are trying to eek-out every last kb of data, 2mb is a severe loss.

The only clue I can give is that Mydslstats now shows that G-INP is disabled so the old profile has not been restored.

Is there something I need to tweak? Any ideas? Do I need to dump the D7000? ?!!!!!

Thanks

Soldato
It's been quiet here for a while so I thought I would share my latest woes and see whether anyone can offer a suggestion (or two!).

I have been having a battle with Sky lately over ever decreasing sync speed. I am a mile and a half from the fibre cab and have been getting just over 8mb D/L for more than a year. Then, in June the speed started to drop. I had a number of conversations with Sky and they agreed to change my profile from "standard" to "speed". I accepted that there may be more errors. Anyway, the change was made and the speed got worse. I asked Sky to revert to the original profile but they said they couldn't as they did not have access to the facility. Of course I pointed out that this was nuts as they changed it in the first place and after some formal complaints, Sky agreed to send someone out to completely overhaul my connection and have the profile changed. The engineer had no idea about profiles but when he left, he had changed some local pairs and he showed me that I should have a sync of around 9.8mb. Happy Days! However, I had temporarily reconnected the Sky router for the testing and this showed that I had indeed got around the 9.8mb mark.

So, I gleefully put back my D7000 only to find that I could not sync higher than 7.4mb. I have reloaded various firmwares but cannot get the D7000 to attain the correct sync speed. The D7000 has always been the same if not better than the Sky box but now, I am stumped as to what could be wrong and as you can imagine, when you are trying to eek-out every last kb of data, 2mb is a severe loss.

The only clue I can give is that Mydslstats now shows that G-INP is disabled so the old profile has not been restored.

Is there something I need to tweak? Any ideas? Do I need to dump the D7000? ?!!!!!

Thanks

Rebooting multiple times and swapping routers will lower the sync speed, DLM will see it as an unstable line and lower the sync speeds to improve line stability.

If the engineer swapped the pairs he will have done a full line reset which disables G-INP initially, it will be put back on if DLM calculates it will improve the performance of the line.

I would rule out any issues with your internal wiring by disconnecting any extensions and make sure you have a MK3 face plate fitted on the master socket with the router directly connects to it. Leave the router alone making no reboots etc and if the line is capable DLM will start increasing the sync speed.

I have a D700 and both with ADSL and VDSL is has sync'd higher than Sky/BTs routers, I get a solid 80/20 out a 420m line which is 10mb higher than the Home Hub 5 could get.

Associate
Rebooting multiple times and swapping routers will lower the sync speed, DLM will see it as an unstable line and lower the sync speeds to improve line stability.

If the engineer swapped the pairs he will have done a full line reset which disables G-INP initially, it will be put back on if DLM calculates it will improve the performance of the line.

I would rule out any issues with your internal wiring by disconnecting any extensions and make sure you have a MK3 face plate fitted on the master socket with the router directly connects to it. Leave the router alone making no reboots etc and if the line is capable DLM will start increasing the sync speed.

I have a D700 and both with ADSL and VDSL is has sync'd higher than Sky/BTs routers, I get a solid 80/20 out a 420m line which is 10mb higher than the Home Hub 5 could get.

Thanks.

G-INP was disabled before the engineer came. It went when Sky changed the profile and that was a couple of months ago. Actually, this makes sense. If the profile was changed to "speed" then the DLM may have decided that G-INP could not work. All the more reason to try to get the profile reverted. I just can't get Sky to accept that they changed it once so should be able to change it back! Still, if the Sky router can get the speed, I don't see why the D7000 can't.

New Mk3 faceplates have been fitted. There is no connection to the internal wiring.

Very jealous about your speed :(

Cheers

Associate
New Firmware D7000-V1.0.1.42_1.0.1 -

New Features and Enhancements:

Supports ReadyCloud, which allows you to access your USB storage device from anywhere.
Supports genie remote, which allows you to manage your home network remotely using NETGEAR genie.
Supports OpenVPN mobile client (iOS and Android) app for easy secure remote access to your home network.
Sends log reports via SSL email, which allows email notification to be setup on your Nighthawk router.
Supports WiFi Transmit Power Control, which reduces WiFi power to just cover your home network and reduces WiFi interference in the neighborhood.
Improves port forwarding by allowing fixed and range ports to be added to one rule.
To Install

Note: To avoid wireless disconnect issue during the firmware download process, NETGEAR recommends that firmware upgrade be performed on a computer with wired connection.

Write down all the settings which you changed from the default values, since you may need to re-enter them manually.
Using the Download Link below, download and extract the new firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop.The filename after extracting is D7000-V1.0.1.42_1.0.1.img

Download Link: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D7000/D7000_FW_V1.0.1.42_1.0.1.zip
Log in to the router using a Web browser. The URL is http://www.routerlogin.net.
Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Firmware Upgrade.
Click Browse and find the file you just downloaded.
Click Upload. Do not interrupt the upgrade while the router does this step.
Important Note:

The upgrade process is completed when the on screen progress bar completes.
If the upgrade progress bar on web GUI doesn’t display correctly during firmware upgrade, you can still check the status using Power LED. The Power LED should be blinking (amber) during firmware upgrade. After firmware upgrade is done and boots up the system, it changes to steady amber color.
Please DO NOT power off or reboot the device during firmware upgrade, otherwise, it may result to a corrupt firmware and cause the device not to work.
Maximum wireless signal rate derived from IEEE Standard 802.11 specifications. Actual data throughput will vary. Network conditions and environmental factors, including volume of network traffic, building materials and construction, and network overhead, lower actual data throughput rate.

This product includes software code developed by third parties, including software code subject to the GNU General Public License ("GPL") or GNU Lesser General Public License ("LGPL"). As applicable, the terms of the GPL and LGPL, and information on obtaining access to the GPL Code and LGPL Code used in this product, are available to you at NETGEAR's Open Source Code Web page. The GPL Code and LGPL Code used in this product is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY and is subject to the copyrights of one or more authors. For details, see the GPL Code and LGPL Code for this product and the terms of the GPL and LGPL.

Man of Honour
My D7000 has now decided to stop advertising the 5Ghz SSID..

Mine tends to drop one or other of the networks; and also sometimes which networks show is a function of which computer is trying to connect (all are white-listed and frequently connected). It wouldn't be a Netgear router if it didn't require frequent reboots.

Back
Top Bottom