Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Soldato
I am about to move into a house that can get 300mb there is no cable into the house already so I assume the engineer will lay the cable up the garden how will they do it?

also will I get the full 300mb?

tell them where you want the cable laid, when i told them how i wanted the cable the guy moaned that it would be extra work for them, i explained it was me paying virgin and not the other way round and if they could not do it then take the lot away and cancel my order, funny enough they came around to my way if thinking

Soldato
Virgin been down since 8am because of maintenance, they said it'll be up by 5pm, the last time they said that, it was out for 2 days.

It is maintenance that you were notified of by letter?

Last time I had this a few months back I needed to manually power off/on my Virgin router to get the internet working again, it didn't come back automatically.

Soldato
It is maintenance that you were notified of by letter?

Last time I had this a few months back I needed to manually power off/on my Virgin router to get the internet working again, it didn't come back automatically.

Yeah we had a letter 2 weeks ago about work being done in the area today, I can see them still working so will give it some time before i reset it. :)

Man of Honour

Pretty standard for VM, though looks better than most. My Zen connection, you can tell when I'm downloading/streaming.

e6273b030ec5f64713ce2bc2adb19832-25-05-2016.png

Soldato
Virgin currently digging my street up to lay the cables for the local area. Wonder what options we will have when they are finished.

Very pleased with sky fibre(apart from the cost) - out of contract, so will see what offers come my way when they are done.

Commissario
If they're going to provide services to your area it'll be the full range, none of this "you can get ADSL2 at up to 40mb, but because of your location it'll be 8mb" nonsense :)

So at the very least you'll be able to get 150mb with the only drop in speed being if your area is over subscribed.

I bought Warhammer Total War yesterday, started the download and about 15-20 minutes later when I came back from a cuppa it was done:)

Soldato
I have an engineer coming to install VM tomorrow, any top tips? I had Plusnet fibre in the flat previously (we're on the first floor), but the flat has now been refurbished. The landlords have put in the "fibre points"* in the wall next to the phone socket and say it's all ready to go. I would have done a self-install but Virgin said they would have to do an engineer install seen as nobody had used VM in the property since 2004 (That was our previous downstairs neighbour). I wonder if this is going to get complicated... :o

*Sorry I don't know the correct term

Soldato
If they're going to provide services to your area it'll be the full range, none of this "you can get ADSL2 at up to 40mb, but because of your location it'll be 8mb" nonsense :)

So at the very least you'll be able to get 150mb with the only drop in speed being if your area is over subscribed.

I bought Warhammer Total War yesterday, started the download and about 15-20 minutes later when I came back from a cuppa it was done:)

cool thanks - will wait and see what pops up when they're done cabling.

I really want to ditch the house phone line as it's bearly used and with monthly line rental heading towards £20 a month generally it's frustrating that you still need it for Bt/Sky fibre etc.

Associate
thanks for the advice I have ordered the packagae and 300mb upgrade lets hope I get close to it!
Is there a site anywhere that measures average speed in the area by speed tests?

Man of Honour
cool thanks - will wait and see what pops up when they're done cabling.

I really want to ditch the house phone line as it's bearly used and with monthly line rental heading towards £20 a month generally it's frustrating that you still need it for Bt/Sky fibre etc.

Why is it frustrating? Your broadband service comes over the same line.

Good luck with VM if you are in a congested area, you'll be wishing you hadn't have moved. Do your research.

Associate
After my fire I have been moved to temporary accommodation (The insurance are renting me a house). So I called Virgin to move the services over and was told towards the end 'this will start you in a new contract' I wasn't happy about that, but it turned out mine had just ended. So I asked what deal I could get.. Long story short I got:

New customer deal for Big Kahuna with 1 extra Tivo (Currently I had Kahuna with extra VHD), topcashback had £231 cashback for this at the time and he could only match £9 loyalty off per month, but then said he could remove the fee for the extra VHD box (£6.50) which then actually saved me £279 over the 18 month... Then I wanted Tivo in the second room and as it was going as a new customer deal I get a new Tivo free anyway so for £5 extra to make up the amount between VHD and Tivo he added that on so I now get:
Big Kahuna + 1 extra Tivo for:
£55.99 for first 12 month then 68.99 for the next 6 month.

All in all, I can't complain!

Caporegime
Long shot here - anyone work on the new sites team for Virgin Media or can put me in touch with someone who handles London for them? Have a question about a new build development.

Associate
Forgive my self-quoting but...

"Your speed boost will be ready by the end of March 2016."

I said it, it happened. Good ol' virgin media

Inception-quote: VM suggest June will be the month for 200Mbit upgrades in my area.

I know I probably could've got it earlier by complaining but I guess I'm hopefully avoiding capacity issues. My 152Mbit is still rocksolid

Soldato
I got connected last Friday. Pretty happy although in already getting a bit frustrated with the TiVo box!

Question, what do I need to do to activate my free for 6 months Netflix account? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom