Who uses a VPN on here

Soldato
Ok, so your're hidden for as long as your vpn doesnt give log info to anyone/gets hacked I suppose?

Exactly. The VPN provider can see everything you do with plain http, and deduce some info about any https browsing (domains visited etc., but not the actual data).

The wider internet knows it's coming from the VPN exit IP but can't be sure about who the VPN user is. They can however often work it out in other ways, like cookies, browser configuration, flash settings, DNS request leaks, even the browser windows size, can all personally identify you and the VPN cannot help with that.

APM

APM

Associate
Any US based VPN's are required to keep logs or at least surrender user info on request to the relevant authorities I believe.
That's why it's important to choose a VPN provider carefully and preferably use one that is not HQ'd in a location where they are subject to authoritarian data law requirements.

At the moment the EU has pretty good privacy and data access restrictions so if a VPN provider is in a country that respects the EU law then you should be good.

These are all reasons why I use AirVPN,they appear to me to be the likeliest group to respect the reasons why I,and others,use a VPN to begin with.

APM

APM

Associate
You can use public DNS too ,again I believe that will help if you have a DNS leak while using a VPN as your DNS requests will resolve to the settings you inputted rather than your ISP or anyone else who may want to gather data on you and your internet usage.

Soldato
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm looking at going with PIA as they seem to tick all of the boxes (multiple devices, unlimited bandwidth etc) but while I understand that on a PC or Android device I can simply click a button for that session to be encrypted, is there any way to "install" the service on my Netgear D7000 router and/or my NAS that has a torrent client built in to benefit from the same protection?

There is a tab to enable me to install OpenVPN on the router - can the same process be used for PIA?

Thanks for any info!

APM

APM

Associate
PIA say they don't keep logs but they are USA based so would have to surrender any info they hold on you without informing you that they did so.

Is there any info on the PIA webpages of forums about setting up router level vpn's?

Back
Top Bottom